• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

With ‘conversion switch’ devices, machine guns return to U.S. streets

Reptile

NES Member
The earsplitting, heart-stopping roar of fully automatic weapons hasn’t been often heard on America’s streets since Congress largely outlawed them in 1934. But now it’s back, owing to a small device that is easily plugged into certain handguns and rifles, converting semiautomatic firearms into guns capable of firing 20 bullets in one second — with one pull of the trigger.

In Sacramento last year, a handgun converted into a machine gun was used during a gun battle that left six dead, in what has been called Sacramento’s deadliest mass shooting. In Minneapolis, eight people were wounded in August amid a spray of 40 bullets fired in just seconds. In 2021, a Houston police officer was killed and another wounded by a suspect with a pistol equipped with the device.

And in D.C.’s NoMa neighborhood in August last year, a drug dealer who was shot at returned fire with 24 shots in one burst along North Capitol Street, authorities said. His target, a car that had been used in a drive-by shooting, sped away, while two people were wounded, according to court records.

“It’s incredibly scary,” said Matthew M. Graves, the District’s U.S. attorney, citing the rising number of conversion devices found in the city in recent years. There were 27 guns recovered with the devices in 2021. The number rose to 119 last year, and, as of late October, the number was more than 150, Graves said. Police often find extended magazines attached to the guns, to hold more than the standard 12 or 13 bullets contained in most magazines, and they have even seized round drum magazines, which can hold 50 or more bullets.

Continues...

1200 rounds/min. Sure.

I think the Glock might actually be up there at that rate, but the thing is is, it’s not gonna last a minute it’s gonna last about a second and then you have to reload

1200 rounds/min. Sure.
1701959827725.png This M11/9mm has a rate of fire of 1200 rounds per minute. I own one and you can barely take your finger off the trigger before the 32rd mag is empty.

A Glock 17 or 19 with an auto sear (which I DO NOT OWN) but have fired as a legal postie, has an even shorter slide/bolt travel and actually fires as fast as the M11/9. I've fired them both and the Glock is just as fast.

GLOCK G18 and G18C​

Full-automatic in 9mm Luger

The select-fire GLOCK pistol models were introduced for the military and police market.
Switch from semi-automatic to full-automatic firing mode with the fire selector.
Rate of fire: 20 rounds/second

20 X 60 = 1200 every time I do the math.

Last edited:
1200 rounds/min. Sure.
It wouldn't surprise me if that is, in fact, the cyclic rate. It's a bit high for a submachine gun -- I think most are closer to 600 - 800 rounds/min. But it's in the ballpark.

Of course, it will run out of ammunition in about a second.

Last edited:
View attachment 825061 This M11/9mm has a rate of fire of 1200 rounds per minute. I own one and you can barely take your finger off the trigger before the 32rd mag is empty.

A Glock 17 or 19 with an auto sear (which I DO NOT OWN) but have fired as a legal postie, has an even shorter slide/bolt travel and actually fires as fast as the M11/9. I've fired them both and the Glock is just as fast.

GLOCK G18 and G18C​

The select-fire GLOCK pistol models were introduced for the military and police market.
Switch from semi-automatic to full-automatic firing mode with the fire selector.

So 2 rounds hit the target and the rest go into the ceiling? I like my 556 doing about 800rpm out of an 11.5" barrel. I have a pretty blue stamp that says I can do that.

View attachment 825061 This M11/9mm has a rate of fire of 1200 rounds per minute. I own one and you can barely take your finger off the trigger before the 32rd mag is empty.
The first time I heard one of these, the rate of fire was so much higher than anything else I'd heard before that I momentarily couldn't identify it as a gun.

Last edited:
My mac10 .45 is the same way..

GLOCK G18 and G18C​

my mac10 .45 is a 1090rpm… the muzzle rise is retarded… i’ve never used the barrel extension, but I always use the front strap to hold it down.

I’ve only put about 200 rounds through it since it was brand new…

I prefer my uzi… so controllable and useful

GLOCK G18 and G18C​

I’m curious why they’re designed that way, is it impossible to slow it down? Seems like a very ineffective weapon unless maybe you’re a gangbanger trying to clear a small room.

I wouldn’t say it’s ineffective just only has so many uses. shooting down a tight hallway would be great. probably be good for indiscriminately killing people, or if you’re committed to assassinating one person and have a Deathwish.

I’m curious why they’re designed that way, is it impossible to slow it down? Seems like a very ineffective weapon unless maybe you’re a gangbanger trying to clear a small room.
they were often used for security details and things of that nature. Dump a bunch of rounds as cover to get into a vehicle and leave.

Back
Top Bottom