• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P320 lawsuit , unintentionally discharging

I had to check a couple of p320 barrels after seeing those pictures and they have the same amount of case support which is less than other guns.

top to bottom:
-Shadows Industries
-Agency Arms
-Glock 43x
-Glock 26

There are smarter people here than me so I'm not sure what that means. Other than out of battery=bad.
IMG_5882.JPG

Funny how the same Main Stream Media that we can't trust to report the truth about guns and gun control, we can trust when there is an allegation that a gun is unsafe.

Were they lying then or are they lying now?
On the one hand, if the gun were that safe people would be getting shot at the sig academy and they're not and you'd see more civilians being shot too.

On the other hand, the possibility of a problem- and let's not pretend sig hasn't had other manufacturing issues (fires when dropped anyone?), should be an indicator to sig to look harder at their design. Regardless of whether the police are right or sig is here, the optics for sig are bad and they should worry about that.

On the other hand, the possibility of a problem- and let's not pretend sig hasn't had other manufacturing issues (fires when dropped anyone?), should be an indicator to sig to look harder at their design. Regardless of whether the police are right or sig is here, the optics for sig are bad and they should worry about that.
This is probably past the point of a voluntary recall to make all the problems go away because of how much time has passed and the number of claims. Any changes would be like an admission that the guns can go bang on their own somehow and they didn’t do anything about it sooner so they’d be responsible for crap like any injuries or mental anguish suffered from people being held hostage by their own gun.

So, according to that story it's just because it doesn't have an external safety? And WTF is a "tab trigger"?, Never heard that one before.
Just read the article. I *think* that the "tab trigger" they're referring to would be item 1 in the picture below of a Glock

1684932762090.png

Jul. 27—MONTVILLE, CT.— Three days after a police officer's handgun "spontaneously discharged" while he was arresting a suspect in the police station lobby, the police department has announced it will replace all officers' handguns with a different model.

Chief Wilfred Blanchette said Thursday the department has placed an order for $20,000 worth of Glock 9mm handguns, after Monday's incident raised safety concerns over the Sig Sauer P320s carried by officers.

"Montville police will be equipped with Glock 9mm handguns in the very near future,

Never had a Sig, never will. But I assumed they worked like all the other striker fired guns I have with a striker block forward of the striker on the slide. just like pictured a couple posts above. The 320's apparently use this side charging striker block on a hinge that uses basically a hammer spring to push it down and engage into a groove on the striker. And that groove was "potentially" getting jumped over so Sig added a second groove on the recall, but the actual issue is that the sear spring and safety spring are getting bundled up somehow, so neither one is engaging correctly leading to bump or slam fires (without the need for the trigger to be pressed). The video I watched of an armorer explaining how the system works.. makes it look like just a dog shit system. Partially critical because I hate Sig as a company, but slide striker blocks have been working forever..

There have been reports about discharges in the upgraded guns. It has always been my impression that SIG rushed the design of the P320 to meet the deadline of the US Army procurement program.
And then recalled them all and fixed them for the military but left the civilians to “ upgrade the trigger”. The P320 was my very first pistol, I sold it after a few months for the HKvp9. I never looked back.

Never had a Sig, never will. But I assumed they worked like all the other striker fired guns I have with a striker block forward of the striker on the slide. just like pictured a couple posts above. The 320's apparently use this side charging striker block on a hinge that uses basically a hammer spring to push it down and engage into a groove on the striker. And that groove was "potentially" getting jumped over so Sig added a second groove on the recall, but the actual issue is that the sear spring and safety spring are getting bundled up somehow, so neither one is engaging correctly leading to bump or slam fires (without the need for the trigger to be pressed). The video I watched of an armorer explaining how the system works.. makes it look like just a dog shit system. Partially critical because I hate Sig as a company, but slide striker blocks have been working forever..

Meh, there's a bunch of striker systems that are fundamentally different. The happy fun ball thing of course is getting away from the Glock system and derivatives. Some win, some lose, badly. I would bet with SIG this is a latent tolerance stacking problem that they haven't been willing to fully explore because they don't want to be on the hook for liability.

It is kind of a sad situation because fundamentally the P320 is actually a nice product but as usual with the post 2013 buyer Market people like Sig and S&W don't like quality control....

What Sig and S&W think of the bottom 60% bulk portion of their respective customer bases:

View: https://youtu.be/FLwD60hPK4I

The 320's apparently use this side charging striker block on a hinge that uses basically a hammer spring to push it down and engage into a groove on the striker. And that groove was "potentially" getting jumped over so Sig added a second groove on the recall, but the actual issue is that the sear spring and safety spring are getting bundled up somehow, so neither one is engaging correctly leading to bump or slam fires (without the need for the trigger to be pressed). The video I watched of an armorer explaining how the system works.. makes it look like just a dog shit system. Partially critical because I hate Sig as a company, but slide striker blocks have been working forever..
So, a little off-topic (it is NES): Does the P365 use a similar system, or something entirely different?

Looks like Sig has a safety bulletin on discharges and light-bearing holsters:

Jared of Guns & Gadgets did a quick video on this, too:

View: https://youtu.be/rlsUCcmXvSI?si=a20IN1L4EVI3cFqX

Looks like Sig has a safety bulletin on discharges and light-bearing holsters:

Jared of Guns & Gadgets did a quick video on this, too:

View: https://youtu.be/rlsUCcmXvSI?si=a20IN1L4EVI3cFqX

Stock sights only here. One more reason.

Last edited:
I own a sig p320 , anyone know the truth?

The company says it's not true.
But there are dozens of people and videos claiming the guns go off by themselves

How can there be a dispute on this topic?

But there are dozens of people and videos claiming the guns go off by themselves

You might as well ask it extraterrestrial life exists. Plenty of anecdotal evidence but nothing conclusive.

I've been to Sig several times and have been a Sig legacy and now P320 armorer for quite some time. I've seen Glocks "blow up" with the plastic frame breaking apart, much like in the 320's in the above photos. I wonder though, in some of these competition guns that see so many rounds, if the plastic frame/grip ends up breaking after say 10k, 15k, 20k rounds, is that a gun "blowing up"? Is it simply fatigue of the polymer components after so many cycles? If the operating system FCU and barrel etc are still intact I guess I would argue that this is a different kind of "blow up" than what I would have considered in the past. (Revolvers with cracked metal frames, blown out cylinders), semi-autos with cracked frames etc.

I've read reports regarding the accidental discharges and Sig has shown holster fitment issues and foreign objects inside trigger guard as the culprit (not withstanding the early design before they added the disconnector, lightened the striker and trigger etc). In a few of the cases they showed that the agencies issuing the guns had used the wrong duty holsters. In some cases the agency had simply tried to retain duty holsters (and off-duty pancake style) hoslters for previous guns. Always a bad idea. I carry a P320 now for over five years, in a proper holster that accomodates a weapon light, level III retention. It was not inexpensive but if this is the answer to the AD issue then worth every penny.

To be fair, I like my P320 a lot and have put lots of rounds through it (especially since I reload). I also like Glocks, Rugers and others. In a perfect world I would carry a P229 or P226 DA/SA every day but that's not in the cards. HK and FN also make some fantastic designs. I don't know that any of these duty-style pistols is perfect, but I've seen enough operator induced error to be skeptical. I believe MSP has recently switched to the P320, I'm betting they could have gotten a much better deal on new M&P's as S&W wanted to keep that business. I'm surprised they didn't get forced to stick with the "local" S&W manufacturer.

I guess time will tell on the P320, maybe we look back in 10 more years and declare it a POS or decide it was no more/less safe than others.

The controversy here is is that if you read into some of the lawsuits there's a good number of them that seem to be consisting of ambulance chasing garbage. On the other hand some of the stuff I've read in some of the appendices of some of these suits does give some pause.... but as @lumasa says in the mix you may have faulty holsters and other equipment.

I believe MSP has recently switched to the P320, I'm betting they could have gotten a much better deal on new M&P's as S&W wanted to keep that business. I'm surprised they didn't get forced to stick with the "local" S&W manufacturer.
That's ironic. MSP buying from Sig, based in NH, while NHSP uses S&W's, based in MA.

Back
Top Bottom