Sig P320 lawsuit , unintentionally discharging

They have more trigger travel. The Sig pull is very short. And we did have lots of Glock stories and at least 1 claim on the M&P by cop.
I would love to hear deposition testimony about Glocks going off by themselves. I was just demonstrating why this cannot happen due to the trigger safety, firing pin block and the lack of the striker being under spring tension prior to pulling the trigger.

I would love to hear deposition testimony about Glocks going off by themselves. I was just demonstrating why this cannot happen due to the trigger safety, firing pin block and the lack of the striker being under spring tension prior to pulling the trigger.
It is my impression that the p320 system is different and is under more spring tension with trigger at rest.

Last edited:
Boston Globe put it on the front page. Sig has never been able to replicate the "defect"

Instagram has tons of posts about 320s Kabooming within the USPSA crowd too. Coincidence on the timing....

I have a BNIB FCU that I am unwilling to invest any money into just because I don't have confidence that the gun won't go off unexpectedly either by my mistake or Sig's. I know there is more science that it won't vs questionable stories that it will, but that kernel of doubt doesn't exist with any of my other pieces.

I'd own a P320 if it wasn't for this shit.

Honestly, real problem or not, Sig should have discontinued the gun for liability reasons, revisited the design, and then reproduced under a different model number.

That would fool people for sure.

I mean yes it is inevitable that a lot of these lawsuits are absolutely b*******..... but there's a few weird incidents that at least on initial examination don't seem to be directly linked to user negligence.
the videos of the the cop simply getting out of the rear seat and then the cop carrying her bag in the parking lot are scary. both shouldn't have happened. they both were wearing what LOOKED like sturdy out side the waistband holsters.

the videos of the the cop simply getting out of the rear seat and then the cop carrying her bag in the parking lot are scary. both shouldn't have happened. they both were wearing what LOOKED like sturdy out side the waistband holsters.
How do you know something was not stuck in the trigger guard? I still don't buy it or else there would be thousands of these things going off.

that's why i said it LOOKED like that. actual video of a possible issue. at the very least, it's absolutely worth looking into. Anyone with common sense would want to know the details before carrying one of these.

I had a couple of 320s and wouldn't own another one anyway. but there most certainly is enough to say it needs looking into.

"I still don't buy it or else there would be thousands of these things going off." sounds pretty narrow minded to me but i'm just a dude making assumptions on the internet just like you.

How do you know something was not stuck in the trigger guard? I still don't buy it or else there would be thousands of these things going off.

This is the point that is being brought up. at 1.08/1.09mm of travel for the internal trigger safety is no longer in play. There is nothing between the striker and the round. I just recently shot a friend's P320c - and that trigger is great - it's like 4 ounces to the wall and once you are at the wall, the break is a crisp 4ish lb pull. But it takes literally nothing to disengage the striker safety, which means it only takes 1 failure in the firearm for someone to have a bad day because something lightly brushed against the trigger as the failure occurred. And while that trigger is amazing, you can't have a trigger where all safeties are off because the force a human hair can support is in the way of the trigger.

There are a million EASY ways to fix this. Add a trigger safety to not allow rearward movement. Increase the weight of the pull in the take-up of the trigger pull. Increase the amount of material in the way of the striker to block it.

Honestly, real problem or not, Sig should have discontinued the gun for liability reasons, revisited the design, and then reproduced under a different model number.

Why? nobody is going to believe that. [rofl] That also wouldn't absolve them from any liability incurred with the previous product.

However, if they owned up to it and fixed the problem, that'd be another story.

If I was going to put $100 on it as a bet, I would wager that it's not that the flaw which causes the condition is prolific enough to apply to every scenario with every P320.

It could be a mixture of things that if enough conditions are met, put the gun in a more-dangerous state, etc.

What you end up with is a situation at present which is "most of the guns are not inherently unsafe at all" but if a series of conditions exist, the gun can fire by some other means other than just someone pressing the trigger....

Why? nobody is going to believe that. [rofl] That also wouldn't absolve them from any liability incurred with the previous product.

However, if they owned up to it and fixed the problem, that'd be another story.

1000 departments issue this pistol, hundreds of thousands of them in use in the US, assuming nobody is lying, 80 or so people had the stars align for shit to go bad. Step up, fix it, explain why it was such a long shot for this to happen (which it is) and apologize for not catching it before it became an issue.

However, that is never going to happen because Sig Sauer is being told to admit no fault, and going to settle out of court. Whether it is the lawyers the insurance company hired or the lawyers Sig hired, they are going to tell them the same thing.

The gun fired by itself..

haha-good.gif

Now. If it had been a TAURUS on the other hand............. :D

View: https://youtu.be/-Nca7bgUz_k

It could be a mixture of things that if enough conditions are met, put the gun in a more-dangerous state, etc.
this is 100% true and is most likely the problem.

the "there would be 1000's going off" doesn't hold water because it could be one of many components or even a cobination of a couple of components that when taken out of spec can be causing the dangerous state.

this is 100% true and is most likely the problem.

the "there would be 1000's going off" doesn't hold water because it could be one of many components or even a cobination of a couple of components that when taken out of spec can be causing the dangerous state.
It would not surprise me if it is a tolerance stacking issue. If part A is close to tolerance limit 1, and part B is close to tolerance limit 2, and part C is close to tolerance limit 3, then the planets align and bad things can happen.

I had the impression that the 320 design was rushed in order to respond to a government RFP.

"If part A is close to tolerance limit 1, and part B is close to tolerance limit 2, and part C is close to tolerance limit 3, then the planets align and bad things can happen."

EXACTLY!

this is what i meant....you and drgrant just explained it better than me.

I bought my P320 before the "voluntary upgrade." It's been my winter EDC ever since. I shipped it to Sig for the upgrade. I replaced the slide with a Norsso. It has an Armory Craft dual adjustable trigger and Zaffari Precision barrel. Legacy appendix holster. Stock striker assembly. I'm definitely tolerance stacking.

I'm either extremely lucky to still be connected to my reproductive organs or perhaps other factors are at play. Either way, I've carried it for years and years without any NDs. Mystery.

It would not surprise me if it is a tolerance stacking issue. If part A is close to tolerance limit 1, and part B is close to tolerance limit 2, and part C is close to tolerance limit 3, then the planets align and bad things can happen.

I had the impression that the 320 design was rushed in order to respond to a government RFP.
In any properly designed system, tolerance Stacking should not result in a system failure. Tolerance stacking is a well know manufacturing issue and any properly designed system will take it into account. If the P320 unintentional discharges are the result of simple tolerance stacking, that actually is a major design flaw and should be readily identifiable and corrected. I would lean more to the "Swiss Cheese Model" of accident causation, where several things need to align (like the holes in separate pieces of Swiss cheese) for the unintentional discharge to occur. A combination of the firearm, the specific holster it's in (and it might be a flaw in that specific holster that exposes a weakness in the gun), the way the holster is carried and the actions and accelerations of the individual. Not to say that Sig shouldn't be able to design around this, but it's not necessarily that simple of a problem to fix.

is that an aftermarket barrel? i don't know enough about 320's to recognize them.

it seems instagram is loaded with catastrophic firearm accidents lately. all kinds of brands and models. I know brownell's was posting them on the regular for awhile.
Looks like the factory barrel. Click on the side arrows in the above IG post to see additional photos

Back
Top Bottom