• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Semi-auto .308 - options & opinions, please.

My first build was an AR-10. 24" bull barrel tack driver! Uses G3 mags which are cheep.I hardly ever shoot it because there is no challenge. I also have a Socom II and a Sar 48. Love the 308! I missed the chance to get an H & K once. Still regret it! Just didn't have the funds at the time.

My first build was an AR-10. 24" bull barrel tack driver! Uses G3 mags which are cheep.I hardly ever shoot it because there is no challenge. I also have a Socom II and a Sar 48. Love the 308! I missed the chance to get an H & K once. Still regret it! Just didn't have the funds at the time.

Good to hear someone got one that runs. I have (& exodius had) CMMG G3 mag 308s that don't run. The upper Fulton built for that CMMG shoots great, when the lower bothers to feed it. I've got a couple more things I want to try on it, and then the lower is getting replaced with a standard magazine one.

If your hunting MA you can't use a rifle.

Like above, HK or PTR91. I shot them with the German army and here in the states. They are good rifles. After a few pistol purchases ill be getting a ptr

You can if you are hunting bear or coyotes during the day. Please do some research before you post.

Good to hear someone got one that runs. I have (& exodius had) CMMG G3 mag 308s that don't run. The upper Fulton built for that CMMG shoots great, when the lower bothers to feed it. I've got a couple more things I want to try on it, and then the lower is getting replaced with a standard magazine one.

I built a DPMS LR-308 with 20" heavy barrel and it functions flawlessly so far. The only issue I've had is the rear take down pin is so tight I have to hammer it to open the rifle... hoping use and time will loosen it. It's accurate as hell and fun to shoot. I'm bringing it up to the car shoot if anyone is looking to check one out prior to purchasing or building one.

Yea I heard the nightmares! My AR-10 came from that buy but I bought the matched upper and lower at that time. The buffer retention pin hole on my lower was drilled too far back and I kept breaking pins so I took the pin out.

LWRCI REPR... all day, every day and twice on Sundays. Hands down the best 7.62 rifle I've laid my hands on and I own a few (M1A, Socom, Cetme, DPMS LR308, saiga)

The gun below has shot 5 rd groups at half MOA on multiple occasions and most always 1 MOA (unless using SA). The 14.5" barrel keeps it some what handy and still allows for 600+yd shots if need be. I have a stash of 130gr MK319 just for this rifle.

Everything else has been collecting dust since I bought this rifle... should probably sell them now.

20121202_123319.jpg

One option is a Saiga 308 with the 16+ barrel. If you want better accuracy you can build up one of the 22" barrel models into a Dragunov-like clone.

The 308 Saigas are one of the easiest to convert and work on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372930884235.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372930884235.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56
PTR91 with a 16 inch barrel. Mines been super reliable .the other bonus is their are millions of pre ban mags for them. I just got 8 niw20 round HK mags for it for under 50 bucks. The PTR is a bargain

My biased opinion says LaRue tactical 7.62 PredatAR or the PredatOBR.
Precision instrument through and through. If I can shoot .5-1 moa with it then anybody can.

PTR91 with a 16 inch barrel. Mines been super reliable .the other bonus is their are millions of pre ban mags for them. I just got 8 niw20 round HK mags for it for under 50 bucks. The PTR is a bargain

I've been wanting a "jungle green" PTR... may have to get one after the move to SC.

Posted this question in the hardware forum, but figured I'd throw it out here.

What are some options for a decent semi-automatic .308?

M1A. AR-10 variants (which?). Browning BAR. FAL? Other?

Something 'tactical' in nature, that could be used for hunting and occasional target shooting, versus a target gun that'd be unwieldy for hunting.

HK91, SCAR17 or PTR-91

dsa; best of the bunch

Posted this question in the hardware forum, but figured I'd throw it out here.

What are some options for a decent semi-automatic .308?

M1A. AR-10 variants (which?). Browning BAR. FAL? Other?

Something 'tactical' in nature, that could be used for hunting and occasional target shooting, versus a target gun that'd be unwieldy for hunting.

spend the money; dsa/fal carbine; small, quick, powerful, tested with plenty of cheap hi-cap mags around. cheaper than most 308 ar platforms. my shtf gun

Back
Top Bottom