• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Semi-auto .308 - options & opinions, please.

I was actually just talking to someone who has a SCAR17 and says it is the best 308 he's ever had or used, which is saying something for him. He had a couple of his buddies shoot it and they liked it so much they each went out and picked one up too. Of course you need like $3000 to blow. Can we even get those in MA? I would loved to be proved wrong but I doubt they are making a MA legal version with a fixed stock and no threads on the barrel.

They come with a PWS brake which you can get pinned. You'd also have to pin the stock. Do this and it's MA compliant.

However, mags are a bit of an issue. FAL mags can be modified to work but otherwise you're limited to 10 rounders.

reading this thread made me go stairs and load up some .308. My vote is for Armalite AR10. mags are based on the m14 and prebans are available. ptr91 is my second choice.

Scar 17's beat themselves to death. At least all the ones I've seen roll through several thousand rounds do. And they are loud as hell... Just action noise is not even ear safe.

If I had scar 17 money to burn I'd find myself a REPR (LWRC) instead.

I have an M1A and I've shot a FAL, PTR91 and a DPMS AR10 variant. I'm sticking with my M1A based on those. A SCAR 17 might change my mind though and FAL magazines can be modified to work in it. I've also heard good things about the FNAR.

This. The M1A isn't perfect, but all things considered (function, cost, pre-ban mag cost, etc.) I think it's probably the best pick in .308.

Some left field options (in no particular order):
- Keltec RFB
- Garand in .308
- LWRC REPR
- Galil
- Saiga
- HK 417
- Robinson XCR-M

The Mega Maten is a very nicely done DPMS pattern .308 AR. They're new keymod has an integral handguard without all those stupid rails on it.

I've built a couple of rifles with Mega receivers and while they are not standard looking on the outside, they use all standard parts on the inside. In fact, the .308 Mega lower is unique in that it uses a standard .223 lower parts kit.

For some strange reason I can never seem be happy with with just one of any platform.
One full length and one with barrel shortened to 18"

falR2.jpg

falcarbR.jpg

The Mega Maten is a very nicely done DPMS pattern .308 AR. They're new keymod has an integral handguard without all those stupid rails on it.

I've built a couple of rifles with Mega receivers and while they are not standard looking on the outside, they use all standard parts on the inside. In fact, the .308 Mega lower is unique in that it uses a standard .223 lower parts kit.

Everything they make is sweet. If (big if) I were to ever build a large format semi it would most likely be an MATEN. Of course I'd probably have it chambered in 6XC instead of .308 but that's just me. Given the reality of the local range situation in our geographical area that's "mega" unlikely though.

More likely (for me) would (and in all likelihood will, when the time comes) be something based on Mega's ambi AR-15 lower but chambered in one of the shorter 6mm calibers like Hagar or Tomahawk. If you're looking for teeny-tiny groups up to and including 600 yards that's the way to go IMHO.

I bought a SCAR17 and a LWRC REPR at the same time. Shot them both a bit and much preferred the LWRC to the SCAR. Sold the SCAR quickly. Got an M1a on a Sage Chassis now and am selling the REPR. I also have a Keltec RFB coming that takes FAL mags. You can get them in 24 and 18 inch barrels.

STAC

I was actually just talking to someone who has a SCAR17 and says it is the best 308 he's ever had or used, which is saying something for him. He had a couple of his buddies shoot it and they liked it so much they each went out and picked one up too. Of course you need like $3000 to blow. Can we even get those in MA? I would loved to be proved wrong but I doubt they are making a MA legal version with a fixed stock and no threads on the barrel.

I bought a SCAR17 and a LWRC REPR at the same time. Shot them both a bit and much preferred the LWRC to the SCAR. Sold the SCAR quickly. Got an M1a on a Sage Chassis now and am selling the REPR. I also have a Keltec RFB coming that takes FAL mags. You can get them in 24 and 18 inch barrels.

STAC

Based on your experience, and what appear to be your preferences, I don't think you will care for the RFB. You seem to be gravitating from modern plastic towards more old school heavy metal.

The RFB is very modern and very "handy". The thing I didn't like about it was after dumping a mag, the area around the chamber got hot, this is normal. Except that in this case the area around the chamber was right under my head. I just didn't love shooting it.

Just like my SCAR. I had one and didn't love it. When prices started going through the stratosphere in Jan, I dumped it. We all talk about the more serious nature of gun ownership, but the simple fact is that 99.99999% of the time, we shoot for fun. All of the guns I own run well. So if a gun doesn't make me smile when I pick it up and smile even more when I shoot it, its not worth owning.

Don

p.s. Within the next couple of weeks. I should have my filthy hands on a Tavor I've been waiting on since March. I'll let you know how that goes.

Last edited:
Where's the Sig love?

Anyone run a 716? Piston AR:

SIG716 Patrol

Also - someone please school me on the differences between rifles chambered in "7.62 X 51 mm NATO" or ".308 Win" I'm familiar with the 5.56 vs .223. Is it it same dealio? One chamber will handle either cartridge, but not the other way around? I'll google it but if anyone has the abridged version please fill me in.

Feedin'em's the problem. .308 is the only round I'm always looking for. I have a friend of a friend who reloads them for me. I usually buy up the linked blanks at the gun shows for cheap and the guy reloads them for me. I try not to buy guns in that caliber, but I already have a Armalite AR-10, FAL with a Coonan Receiver, Remington 7400, Remington 740 & a M1919A. The only bolt .308 I have is my favorite, a Steyr SSG 69. That makes for a lot of pricey brass.

I started leaning to the 7.62x54R a few years ago, I think it's right there with the .308. You can't reload the military surplus stuff, but at one fifth the price of .308, who cares. I've got mosin's up the wahzoo, but I wanted a semi-auto too. Bought a Romanian PSL, holy crap, what a great gun.

I guess if the price of ammo wasn't an issue for me, I'd probably get a HK 41 or another FAL.

I went with the Armalite AR-10 in the M-110 configuration. (10A4BNMF AR-10 BLACK NATIONAL MATCH RIFLE IN 7.62) I needed an AR for my teaching collection, .308 interests me more than .223, so the M-110 seemed the best option. The rifle is 100% reliable, and far more accurate than I am, though I'm working on getting better.

At 300 yards, I need a good spotting scope to see the holes. That's an 8" Celestron in the picture. It's on a heavy-duty stand with some extra weight at the base for stability. The Tuff mag holder on the mat holds 8 mags, so this rig is enough to keep me busy for a long time. I do have a scope on order.

My other teaching rifles are former battle rifles, a Trap Door Springfield, Steyer M95, M1 Carbine, Garand, SKS. They are great for helping the kids connect with history, but they're not precision rifles. The M-110 is my precision rig, and it gives the kids a sense of the rifles carried in Viet Nam and the Gulf. So this gives me (spotty) coverage from the Civil war through today. My 1911 and M92 cover the last 100 years of handguns. I'm always looking for ways to expand and improve the collection, to help the kids connect with more periods in our history.

The kids react well to learning to operate all these guns, and talking about the history associated with them. The M-110 has been a great rifle for us.

m-11008.jpg

Don, thanks for your note. I have the 24 inch so I am looking for slow fire vs mag dumps I think. I do like the compact nature of the RFB. With a 24 inch barrel is is barely 5.5 inches longer than my 7.5 inch barreled SBR in 5.56. We'll see. If I don't like it...I can move it along for sure.

I operate the same way with my firearms. If I don't like it, I don't keep it. The SCAR just didn't float my boat. My REPR and my M1A made me much happier. Now I hope this RFB is the ticket. If I like the 24 inch, I may see about getting an 18 inch version.

Good for you on the Tavor, those are supposed to be very nice. I have a nice Steyr AUG (real Steyr, not MSAR) and I love that little bullpup.

Cheers

STAC

Based on your experience, and what appear to be your preferences, I don't think you will care for the RFB. You seem to be gravitating from modern plastic towards more old school heavy metal.

The RFB is very modern and very "handy". The thing I didn't like about it was after dumping a mag, the area around the chamber got hot, this is normal. Except that in this case the area around the chamber was right under my head. I just didn't love shooting it.

Just like my SCAR. I had one and didn't love it. When prices started going through the stratosphere in Jan, I dumped it. We all talk about the more serious nature of gun ownership, but the simple fact is that 99.99999% of the time, we shoot for fun. All of the guns I own run well. So if a gun doesn't make me smile when I pick it up and smile even more when I shoot it, its not worth owning.

Don

p.s. Within the next couple of weeks. I should have my filthy hands on a Tavor I've been waiting on since March. I'll let you know how that goes.

STacarter,

Keltec did a very innovative thing with the RFB. As you know bullpup triggers are problematic . Keltec puts the entire sear assembly way up front with the trigger. What makes the run back to the action is the hammer strut. That way they can tune for the trigger precision of a normal gun. (if they chose to) The trigger is typical of a normal production gun, terrible. But a decent gunsmith can make it good much more easily than they can on a normal bullpup.

CHRIS - I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Don

How did you get your hands on an m-110? did you buy it from knight's arm or build it yourself.

I bought the Armalite 10A4BNMF AR-10 BLACK NATIONAL MATCH RIFLE IN 7.62 Click the link for details. When I bought it in early 2012, the product description called it an M-110, but the web site no longer says that. It has a match barrel, sights, and trigger. It does not include the optics, silencer, waterproof case, mags, cleaning gear, bipod, and spares that come with the military M-110 kit. It does qualify as an M-110 for NRA competition. Mine is Mass compliant, so it has no flash hider nor barrel threading. It's 10% of the cost of a full-on KAC M-110 kit. Much of the KAC cost is the optics and silencer. The KAC rifle may be more accurate, but the Armalite is far more accurate than I am. I'm nowhere near the skill level where I'd be able to notice such a difference, if it exists.

We shoot it stock, having added only a bipod and sling to the rifle. I did rotate the gas block a fraction, to get 0 windage on the rear sight to be dead on. Other than that, we've modified nothing. I have a scope on order, so our experience to date is with iron sights.

I've got a FNFAL and a PTR that have just been "replaced" by an MP10. The two .308's are great but the mags for the PTR are a dime a dozen. I'd sell one if you have a hard time finding something. But I do love them all. :)

Back
Top Bottom