SBR Loophole?

This 'detachable magazine' question is talked about in this thread too.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-ABILITY-TO-ACCEPT-A-DETACHABLE-MAGAZINE-quot

the last post being

So the BATFE got back to me regarding their definition of a detachable magazine.. They did not and do not have one on the books.

I am following up with the AGO again.

I tried calling the AGO earlier today and after being told this was a question for my local PD, gave up because it was around 4pm and I was starting to get mostly answering machines...

Cant you just order an AK pistol shipped to MA Class 3 dealer. Then do NFA From 4. And then get it transferred to you as SBR? Does SBR HAVE to have a stock?

Cant you just order an AK pistol shipped to MA Class 3 dealer. Then do NFA From 4. And then get it transferred to you as SBR? Does SBR HAVE to have a stock?

A pistol is an AR or an AK without a stock, if it has a stock and the barrel is shorter than 16" and is less than 26" overall, it's an SBR per ATF. An Ak pistol is considered an Assault pistol by mass law, therefore it's a no go. Many people do this in free states, they buy a pistol, send in the paperwork, use the pistol while waiting for paper work, then when stamp is received they put on the stock.
No Ar or Ak pistols here, have to wait for a stamp for an SBR.

Last edited:

Yes, you could do this. The dealer would have to hang on to the AK while you wait for the Form 4 to be approved.

Bonus to this is that as a pistol it can also be loaded in a vehicle under a NH P&R permit.

Even an SBR with a stamp can be loaded in a vehicle in NH because NH defines any gun with a barrel less than 16" to be a pistol in RSA 159:1.

Even an SBR with a stamp can be loaded in a vehicle in NH because NH defines any gun with a barrel less than 16" to be a pistol in RSA 159:1.

Really? Good to know. Still love the idea of not having to register with the government. I could see getting a pistol with the brace instead of an SBR and then waiting to get my first suppressor until they're removed from the NFA in 5-10 years. I've never registered anything to date so this is a good way to stay out of the system. Yippee!

For the record those of us in NH have very little reason to get a tax stamp since we can build AR pistols with no weight limitations and all the evil features we want completely legal.
Unless we want something we can use as a stock with a get-out-of-jail-free letter from BATFE. This is definitely far more appealing than waiting a year for a tax stamp and having a needlessly-registered gun.

I may just pull the trigger on one of each--"SB-15" and "SB-47"--since I want pistol versions of both the AR and AK. Getting all that together with no paperwork or waiting would make having a deformed stock worth it.

Last edited:
no shit? that's... pretty awesome.
We were just discussing this at last weeks NES meetup. You still need a carry license, , then RSA 159:1 states "Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length...".

I am not entirely clear on whether a definition in RSA 159:1 would apply to the "loaded rifle or shotgun" prohibition in RSA 207:7?

We were just discussing this at last weeks NES meetup. You still need a carry license, , then RSA 159:1 states "Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length...".

I am not entirely clear on whether a definition in RSA 159:1 would apply to the "loaded rifle or shotgun" prohibition in RSA 207:7?

find the rifle definition. Usually it mentions a barrel of no less than 16" so you may be gtg defining a SBR as a "pistol" according to that particualr NH law.

Thought I would bump this with something I stumbled onto while surfing...

http://www.kakindustry.com/sig-super-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

Basically a pistol tube that has a stopper on it to keep the SB15 in place. They also sell spacers for adjusting the length of pull.

I talked a lot of shit about this thing before getting one, but it is pretty awesome. No need to worry about asking the ATF permission to take your SBR across state lines anymore...

Thought I would bump this with something I stumbled onto while surfing...

http://www.kakindustry.com/sig-super-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

Basically a pistol tube that has a stopper on it to keep the SB15 in place. They also sell spacers for adjusting the length of pull.

I talked a lot of shit about this thing before getting one, but it is pretty awesome. No need to worry about asking the ATF permission to take your SBR across state lines anymore...

good find, but i already have there last version... should be good enough. Just need to get arround to keeping enough ammo money on the side for the brace

I got my Sig brace on Ebay for $110 Shipped. It is going on an 7.5" A2 Pistol to make it look like a mini AR.
I have an 8.5" 300 Blackout pistol too.

Malodave

Buy this tube and have it cut to the length you want as a spacer. I did and it works. I messed up and bought one that is too long for me (2"). 0.75-1" is the right length for me.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4466&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

That is what I was thinking of doing, but I have an other lower laying around that I want to tinker with, and since I need to buy a new tube anyways...

This little guy interests me.

10450161_783073421722886_4568216971324365654_n.jpg

Build an SBR or don't build an SBR. But don't ask the Government for permission, and than claim you are a free man.

Sig arm strap is retarded.
I shoulder-fire AR-pistols and just have extra padding pinned on my shooting jacket. The 9mm AR pistol has so little kick I just check-the-tube for stability and haven't dented my face yet. Need to spend more time in the gym before I could "cheek fire" a 308.

I shoulder-fire AR-pistols and just have extra padding pinned on my shooting jacket. The 9mm AR pistol has so little kick I just check-the-tube for stability and haven't dented my face yet. Need to spend more time in the gym before I could "cheek fire" a 308.

I do a cheek weld with my 300 Blackout AR pistol. I put some de-cored paracord around the tube just so the metal wasn't right against my skin.

I'm doing a trade with another NES member for a Sig brace and will test to see how it works (for me). IF I need a spacer, I'll either use a piece of aluminum tube/round I have on hand. Or I'll just turn a piece of black Delrin (also on hand) to slip over the buffer tube. I'll cut one end to allow continued use of the endpoint sling mount I have installed.

FYI, the Spike's pistol tube is a real tight fit with the Sig brace. Once you get your brace positioned how you like it, it ain't moving.

...so I'm told.

I got my KAK pistol buffer tube for the Sig brace in last night. I installed their lower parts kit to my 'blemish' aero precision lower. The only problem was the trigger guard pin was so tough to get in, it's still about 1/3 of the way sticking out, and I stopped because I didn't want to upset the neighbors with my banging [laugh]
The selector is also a little tight.
I have a magpul pistol grip and my Sig brace is in FDE, there is a little difference in the color, but it still looks nice on the lower. I tried to upload a pic, but it's not working/ not responding...
Now I just have to decide on the upper. I'm thinking a 10.5", possibly something thats ready for a suppressor? I have plenty of time before I'm ready to get that.

IMAG1461_zpsd24d9240.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom