• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR question

bdb

NES Member
I think I have this right but wanted to check.

If someone had an AR pistol or “other” with a shoter than 16” barrel and a brace they needed to deal with the feds ruling.

A person could apply for an SBR stamp prior to May 31/23. Once the tax stamp is approved no engraving needs to he done as I read it on the ATF site that the makers engravings on it at the time of the application carry forward. Did I inderstand that correctly? Just curious. I know any response doesn’t constitute legal advice.

I read it on this page:

True, but I did just move to Charleston, SC two weeks ago so the AWB no longer applies. Although I am keeping residency in MA for reasons but will need to find a dealer who knows dual residency.

you BASTARD…I mean good for you. Looking at doing the same in less than a year.

Got my tax stamp approval today. I guess all I need to do now before the range is have the brake pinned. I put a pinned magpul stock on the lower and set the brace aside.
I didn’t do a thing. Thankfully.

If the feds are looking up my stuff I got some major problems elsewhere.

Dumb question but why use a pistol brace on an SBR instead of a stock?

Some people believe an SBR in Mass doesn’t need to adhere to the AWB since it’s not classified a rifle or pistol, no?

Dumb question but why use a pistol brace on an SBR instead of a stock?

Some people believe an SBR in Mass doesn’t need to adhere to the AWB since it’s not classified a rifle or pistol, no?
They're operating based on the ATF guidance that a brace makes it an SBR.
The second part is its own rabbit hole.

True, but I did just move to Charleston, SC two weeks ago so the AWB no longer applies. Although I am keeping residency in MA for reasons but will need to find a dealer who knows dual residency.
In Charleston proper? Ridgeville here.

Anyhow to get back on topic I got 3 "pistols" reclassified as SBRs under the amnesty. Took a while but they all got approved. Ditched the braces and put on proper stocks and VFGs like God intended.

So if anyone's interested, I have some SBA3's for cheap...

In Charleston proper? Ridgeville here.

Anyhow to get back on topic I got 3 "pistols" reclassified as SBRs under the amnesty. Took a while but they all got approved. Ditched the braces and put on proper stocks and VFGs like God intended.

So if anyone's interested, I have some SBA3's for cheap...

I'm in Mt Pleasant

They're operating based on the ATF guidance that a brace makes it an SBR.
The second part is its own rabbit hole.
I was told in no uncertain terms by a very well-read dealer at the mill that SBR's in MA do fall under the AWB for reasons that I now forget (possibly due to the original 90's Federal AWB that MA was based on). He made a very compelling argument. I think it's a grey area, like everything in MA regarding guns, YMMV and the risk is an expensive and painful legal battle.

Theres only one I know of. Oly arms made a polymer ar pistol with no handguard in the 90s. Iirc there was a material defect, not atypical for oly.
I remember that. They also did a fixed mag version of their earlier pistol which wouldn't sell.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a very well-read dealer at the mill that SBR's in MA do fall under the AWB for reasons that I now forget (possibly due to the original 90's Federal AWB that MA was based on). He made a very compelling argument. I think it's a grey area, like everything in MA regarding guns, YMMV and the risk is an expensive and painful legal battle.

100% a grey area and nobody can say for certain without a court ruling. I’m in the camp of playing it safe on this one. But, to each his own.

100% a grey area and nobody can say for certain without a court ruling. I’m in the camp of playing it safe on this one. But, to each his own.
If I were in the position to offer advice, I'd likely say the same to anyone who didn't want to martyr himself in legal proceedings.

Theres only one I know of. Oly arms made a polymer ar pistol with no handguard in the 90s. Iirc there was a material defect, not atypical for oly.
Also the Carbon 15 is one I have seen sold in MA during the assault weapons ban and before the pistol roster became a thing, It had a muzzle break that was a quick connect like an air chuck so I’d didn’t add to the weight

Do you mean that if you follow all the normal rules for MA compliance to the AWB, basically a non collapsible stock, no bayo lug and the muzzle device (not a flash hider) pinned and welded that a rifle being an SBR would not be mass compliant like a standard crippled 16" barrelled AR is?

As for the FFL's at the Mill, many of them seem quite knowledgable regarding MA law (which I would expect) but some of them seem perfectly willing to sell you a rifle, after they break it down to a lower and an upper, that would technically violate MA law when go home and put it together and presumably file the state required FA10 (assuming you do).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom