• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC question

Called the PD after recently submitting LTC. They said I was approved and sending it to the state. Does that mean I am all set just have to wait for licensure issuing? Thanks in Advance for any replies!
Also any recommendations for beginner courses in MA?(I live 20 min south of Boston)
@1994mass
BEGINNER COURSE - I just talked to someone who attended a 1-on-1 live fire hands on with Mass Firearm in Bridgewater. He was happy with the course and did not feel rushed or ignored. $200?

RANGE - 20 min south of Boston so I would guess somewhere near Quincy or Weymouth? I have been a member to Braintree Rifle and Pistol for many years. Great club, excellent members and 24H/365D indoor club with a outdoor range as well

Pro tip, write your pin number on the back of your LTC when you sign it. You’re never gonna remember that.

I'm no longer there, and here it's irrelevant.

However, there are three phases: Your app at the PD. Your app being processed in Boston. Your LTC sitting in the drawer at your PD.

Your first few calls to Boston will establish just when THEY get the app from your town PD.

Your repeated calls to them will not affect your qualifications. You either get it or not. Zee knows damned well that you will stop calling as soon as you know that the printed LTC has been mailed to the PD. Hint. Hint.

Once he tells you it's been sent, a week later your PD damned well has it.

You do what you frigging feel like with those comments. Wait. Call. Post. It's all good man.

BTW, I've lived in small towns too. Dropping into the station or spotting the Chief at the market on Sunday is fair game, too.
In my experience this is very risky. I firmly recommend all correspondence be in writing with the police when checking on the status of a license. It is not far fetched to have a department revoke an approved license if they are sufficiently bothered by an applicant. There was a boston case where they revoked after they approved a restricted license and claimed the guy went postal when he complained. That is all it takes with some of these dictators. If you pester them they can claim you're threatening. Boston police v Phipps.

Last edited:
Your repeated calls to them will not affect your qualifications. You either get it or not. Zee knows damned well that you will stop calling as soon as you know that the printed LTC has been mailed to the PD. Hint. Hint.

Once he tells you it's been sent, a week later your PD damned well has it.

You do what you frigging feel like with those comments. Wait. Call. Post. It's all good man.

BTW, I've lived in small towns too. Dropping into the station or spotting the Chief at the market on Sunday is fair game, too.
I couldn't disagree more.

In my experience this is very risky. I firmly recommend all correspondence me in writing with the police when checking on the status of a license. It is not far fetched to have a department revoke an approved license if they are sufficiently bothered by an applicant. There was a boston case where they revoked after they approved a restricted license and claimed the guy went postal when he complained. That is all it takes with some of these dictators. If you pester them they can claim you're threatening.

Probably a fair point, from a legal perspective, but this ^^^ and that vvv are dead wrong from a moral stance.

I couldn't disagree more.

Congrats. And props for looking for training.
I have taken classes at American Firearms School and Mass Firearms. AFS will be the closest to you.
But the best courses I took were at Sig Academy. It's worth the trip.

Don't get me wrong, AFS and MFS are both great facilities, and all of the instructors I met were good, but Sig is next level shit.
Hell, I can spend 30 minutes on the range with you, and with some practice and dry fire, you will be a decent shooter, but Sig offers real world training. Standing still, shooting at fixed targets, is great, but in the real world targets move, and you had better move too.
The Marine Corps helped me be pretty handy with a rifle, but we had very little handgun training. I thought I was hot shit until I took a force on force class at Sig. There is a lot more to it, but basically, an attacker starts from 21 feet away with a plastic knife and charges you. You have to draw and engage before he can stab you. It was very humbling. It doesn't sound that hard, but... well, lets just say that I got sick of hearing.. "You're dead"... and "You're dead again." LOL.

How is the indoor rifle range at AFS. I need to get in a few hours with a new AR.

Absolutely is disgusting that one can't squeaky wheel them to get it done.
Not just here. A bunch of us are approaching 6 months and counting for RI non-resident permits. Really begs the question on what to do there at renewal time, assuming they show up the first time. None of us are willing to poke the beehive (ok, at least I'm not).

Last edited:
Pro tip, write your pin number on the back of your LTC when you sign it. You’re never gonna remember that.
Four Seasons suggested storing in in you cell phone with their number. Writing the password on the instrument with the login information is always the most convenient way to do things, but is not generally considered a good security practice. At least if you write it down, do something like a circular add of each digit in the pin with some number you will always remember like the serial number of your favorite gun.

Four Seasons suggested storing in in you cell phone with their number. Writing the password on the instrument with the login information is always the most convenient way to do things, but is not generally considered a good security practice. At least if you write it down, do something like a circular add of each digit in the pin with some number you will always remember like the serial number of your favorite gun.
It's a contact in my phone - LTC Pin

Yea sorry I am 20 min south of Boston looking for beginner pistol courses and concealed carry courses just want to get comfortable with handling a pistol and learn more of the laws.
I would not recommend tactical dynamics.

I was in a class where an instructor had an ND, and joked about it.

I actually walked out at that exact instance cause of it. I've had other more professional classes.

I'd recommend Onsight Firearms training. Ben is an amazing instructor, professional, he may have some bad jokes but he's on par

Read through the training section for reviews also.

The AARs from @jeffwatch are spot on with some of the classes I've taken with him.

I know probably a question that has been answered before. I received a call from LO in my town saying I was approved and being sent out to FRB. (Very nice of him to give an update) How long does it typically take for FRB to run their check and send PD the license? Thank you
(Oh and just for anyone else I it took me around 2 weeks total from dropping of application to a week later doing prints.)

I had occasion to turn in a sort of a digital key to an annoying and very by-the-book person. He was super upset to find the challenge responses written on it. (the ink was barely dry, it was a joke).

Apparently, he was possessed of no sense of humor whatsoever. But no charges were filed in the end.

Haha called this week and they now say approved by PD pending state approval after last week saying approved pending activation. Wild how they give different answers that don’t align chronologically

Called the PD after recently submitting LTC. They said I was approved and sending it to the state. Does that mean I am all set just have to wait for licensure issuing? Thanks in Advance for any replies!
Also any recommendations for beginner courses in MA?(I live 20 min south ofSA

Also any recommendations for beginner courses in MA?(I live 20 min south of Boston)
same thing going on with me on my renewal local pd approved pending with the state ?

In my town they are now delivering them to your house in person. Don't know how much I like that actually.

Something about seeing a police cruiser pulling up my driveway and a policeman standing at my door, I don't know???? I have nothing to hide but that whole scene can be stressful. And I do not need anymore stress in my life these days.
In the years I have gotten renewals, sometimes they mail it, or if the state is backed up, they would call and say that it's ready for pickup.

Back
Top Bottom