• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR Loophole?

In all honesty the ATF probably realizes the NFA (at least as far as SBS/SBRs is concerned) is a money making joke... the "technical guys" are just that, technical. I imagine they are gun guys for the most part, and "get it." The problem is, these "letters" and "ATF decisions" can change at the drop of a hat.

Mike

Build an SBR or don't build an SBR. But don't ask the Government for permission, and than claim you are a free man.

Sig arm strap is retarded.

Are you suggesting folks assembly short barrel rifles without the required tax stamp? (Government permission)

Are you suggesting folks assembly short barrel rifles without the required tax stamp? (Government permission)

Absolutely.

No one wants the Government involved, except for when it's convenient for them, right?

Registration leads to confiscation. And that is all this "tax stamp" is. Might as well wave an orange flag saying, "hey look at me I own guns, because I just registered some."

If the .Gov actually kicks your door down, I think you have bigger problems, than whether or not you filled out a tax stamp.

Absolutely.

No one wants the Government involved, except for when it's convenient for them, right?

Registration leads to confiscation. And that is all this "tax stamp" is. Might as well wave an orange flag saying, "hey look at me I own guns, because I just registered some."

If the .Gov actually kicks your door down, I think you have bigger problems, than whether or not you filled out a tax stamp.

And for that comment, IMHO, you should be banned from this forum. You are promoting an illegal act.

This is how the Borg got started. Starts with a rifle mounted on your arm, then before you know it you've got holographic tachyon sensors for eyeballs.

And for that comment, IMHO, you should be banned from this forum. You are promoting an illegal act.

PM Derek, and commence the banning.

Promoting an illegal act, because I believe 100% that you should not be asking the Government for permission to build something??

This is the reason why we are doomed as a country.

Go time will never happen. Never.

Oh boy. Really??

Maybe we should ban everyone who supports CT residents not registering their guns too. Yeah that's what we should do.

For the record those of us in NH have very little reason to get a tax stamp since we can build AR pistols with no weight limitations and all the evil features we want completely legal.

There is a distinct possibility that using an SBR at the range will draw unwanted attention, and I'd like to stay on the good side of the law for my convenience. If I ever wound up with my firearms confiscated, and "go time" commenced, I am confident I could be re-armed within hours of having my arms taken, especially in this mythical "go time" scenario.

As a veteran, I imagine I am already so deeply intertwined with government that I am not going to sneak away anyway...

Mike

So in mass, if we use something like the ARMR2, to make it a non-detachable magazine in the pistol, we shouldnt need to be under 50oz.?!

only confusion is the state doesnt legislate what constitutes a non-removable magazine.

So the pistol would still have to be mass compliant? under 50 oz if I remember correctly?

- - - Updated - - -

So in mass, if we use something like the ARMR2, to make it a non-detachable magazine in the pistol, we shouldnt need to be under 50oz.?!

only confusion is the state doesnt legislate what constitutes a non-removable magazine.

how does one reload such weapon? or just go with belt fed. [grin]

So the pistol would still have to be mass compliant? under 50 oz if I remember correctly?

Yup, one way to get around it is to weld a magazine in the magwell and top load. I don't necassarily think it would have to be on the EOPS list, i think it would fall under the Assault pistol regulations??

Sucks, no AR pistols or suppressors!!!

Last edited:
Here is the letter:

2cht9he.jpg

Yup, one way to get around it is to weld a magazine in the magwell and top load. I don't necassarily think it would have to be on the EOPS list, i think it would fall under the Assault pistol regulations??

Sucks, no AR pistols or suppressors!!!

so technically I could weld a non pre ban magazine to it then? since the gun will have a built in mag.

Yup, one way to get around it is to weld a magazine in the magwell and top load.

Sucks, no pistols or suppressors!!!

Welding a magazine would not get around it because there is still the weight issue and the barrel shroud for AR/AK pistols.

The definition of “assault weapon” is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:

"a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

There is a distinct possibility that using an SBR at the range will draw unwanted attention, and I'd like to stay on the good side of the law for my convenience. If I ever wound up with my firearms confiscated, and "go time" commenced, I am confident I could be re-armed within hours of having my arms taken, especially in this mythical "go time" scenario.

As a veteran, I imagine I am already so deeply intertwined with government that I am not going to sneak away anyway...

Mike

I have a friend with an AR pistol. He was telling me how he went to the range (one here in NH). He decided to bring along a second AR and swapped the lowers so that he could properly sight in the pistol since sighting in a pistol without a stock sucks. Another member of the range approached him and asked him how long it took to get his tax stamp. He replied about a year (a lie). It was not asked with malice nor did this person verify it. But the question was asked nonetheless.

I disagree about welding, the magazine, since it does not state permanent attachment of the magazine, rather,"a detachable magazine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkP5n8BhdY

this seems to make the magazine release button no longer function, meaning there is no way to remove the magazine from the firearm, while it is operational. When you disassemble the gun, break the action, you can remove the magazine. Can anyone see why the AR MR2 wont work to make an AR-style pistol "that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine"

so technically I could weld a non pre ban magazine to it then? since the gun will have a built in mag.

IANAL, but i think so?? Have seen this discussed in many threads before, im sure someone will chime in if i'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom