• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR question

If I had a registered SBR and the upper was a 14.5” upper, can I buy a 11.5” upper and just swap it out and only notify the ATF that I’m changing the total length to … whatever ? Oh and also just store the old upper in my safe and not be in consructive possesion of said upper ?

If I had a registered SBR and the upper was a 14.5” upper, can I buy a 11.5” upper and just swap it out and only notify the ATF that I’m changing the total length to … whatever ? Oh and also just store the old upper in my safe and not be in consructive possesion of said upper ?
No need to notify ATF, it does not change it's status to more of an SBR by taking 3" off. Don't sweat the constructive possession, If you ever get charged with that more than likely that charge will be the least of your problems.

No need to notify ATF, it does not change its status to more of an SBR by taking 3" off. Don't sweat the constructive possession, If you ever get charged with that more than likely that charge will be the least of your problems.
Retain original build parts in order to put it back to spec.
Nothing says you can’t have other uppers. It’s the bottom part that counts.

Retain original build parts in order to put it back to spec.
Nothing says you can’t have other uppers. It’s the bottom part that counts.
In this case it appears the original upper is a 14”
Some get nervous about having multiple SBR uppers in the presence of other tile 1 firearms that may fit them and what the ATF calls constructive intent or possession. Has never been a real concern of mine

In this case it appears the original upper is a 14”
Some get nervous about having multiple SBR uppers in the presence of other tile 1 firearms that may fit them and what the ATF calls constructive intent or possession. Has never been a real concern of mine
I acquired a short 300 with a thread for my 556. I’ll put my can on it and NGAF. It all fits in the same case.
Copies in a folder below the foam.

Edit. I could always keep it with the pistol. Now what?

I acquired a short 300 with a thread for my 556. I’ll put my can on it and NGAF. It all fits in the same case.
Copies in a folder below the foam.

Edit. I could always keep it with the pistol. Now what?
Not sure what the question is

All well and good but you will need to SBR it seeing AR pistols run afoul of the AWB in MA.

I was initially thinking "Cool!" but then realized the point you are making is correct. Within MA, a SBR should clearly be marked as such. I also keep a copy of the 'tax stamp' with it just in case.

I was initially thinking "Cool!" but then realized the point you are making is correct. Within MA, a SBR should clearly be marked as such. I also keep a copy of the 'tax stamp' with it just in case.

No need to worry about the tax stamp from a MA perspective.

Not a real question. It’s more of what if.
All my parts are legal. Now what?
I say not to worry,
Constructive possession/Intent would look something like this, you have an AR lower, short barrel upper, full auto fire control, full auto drill jig, a drill with the correct size bits, a tutorial video, a note to pick up some cutting oil next time at Home Depot. Next your house gets raided for making stupid threats online and they can't find any weapons on site to back up the claims made in the threats, finding this box of stuff could get you charged with constructive possession. even though all thos parts individually are legal

like I said previously, if charged with this you have bigger problems that happened first.

No need to worry about the tax stamp from a MA perspective.
Why not? A pistol would not have been nor will be legal in MA. Personally I think it would be prudent to have proof that the SBR was made with permission from the AFT.

Why not? A pistol would not have been nor will be legal in MA. Personally I think it would be prudent to have proof that the SBR was made with permission from the AFT.
It could be that in most cases only an ATF agent can request to see the approved form 1 or 4,
However, that does not mean you won't be detained if you refuse to show it to a regular LEO,

If it has a stock, it doesn’t matter if it’s a registered SBR or not for MA purposes. It’s either a rifle or a “firearm”, depending on if you’re looking at federal or state definitions. It wouldn’t be a pistol for either.

Edit: I may have missed some earlier discussion on braces for this conversation chain. If it has a brace it doesn’t matter if it’s SBRed. With the brace it would be in a pistol configuration according to the Feds. And generally that means it is a pistol according to the MA copy and paste Fed-AWB, regardless of tax stamp.

atf blessed adopting the original markings as your sbr markings.

Back
Top Bottom