• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

safety etiquette on the range

Which NES member is this going to change their target?

WhyUGottaBeADick.jpg

I'm so glad to know that you're safe in your little world. [rolleyes]

Gotta love these "Out Yourselves" threads. [laugh]

Nothing bad happens here, it's a nice neighborhood ! [thinking]

The signs will protect me ! [banana]

We need moar rulez ! [popcorn]

If you are that concerned about theft at your private, members only shooting range, then you're doing it wrong. Find a new range.

Let me butcher your quote a little.

If you are that concerned about theft at your private, locked house, then you're doing it wrong. Find a new neighborhood.

WTF does it matter how "private" or "members only" it is? Are thieves going to respect "MEMBERS ONLY" signs more than they respect "Don't steal/kill/rape/etc" laws?

...that doesn't mean that some Platt and Matix wanna-be's aern't cruising this area.

Yup, or this murder last year...http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/105886-Murder-at-a-gun-range

Also state law.

And then there's this.

An unsafe storage conviction (if "large capacity") would render one a Federally prohibited person.

where do you people shoot? downtown Lawrence?

I've seen trespassers on a range in Wayland. Harvard Sportsmen's Club's front gate is open during open events. A gun was stolen from MassRifle in Woburn.

Bad things can happen in "safe" suburbs. That's also why I lock the doors on our house and keep a loaded gun at home for protection. Using some caution at the range is no different.

I've seen trespassers on a range in Wayland. Harvard Sportsmen's Club's front gate is open during open events. A gun was stolen from MassRifle in Woburn.

Bad things can happen in "safe" suburbs. That's also why I lock the doors on our house and keep a loaded gun at home for protection. Using some caution at the range is no different.

you could use the same mentality to justify never leaving your house.

When I first started shooting I'd leave my rifle on the bench and head downrange to change a target. One time, after fixing my target, I was walking back, looked up and just froze for a second. My rifle had a bipod and a sandbag under the butt so as I was walking back it was pointing directly at me. Gave me a very weird feeling. I moved to the side and headed back to the bench. On the way I kept thinking about how there was ammo on the bench and my rifle. If someone wanted to steal my stuff, there wasn't much I would have been able to do about seeing I gave them everything to shoot me with if they wanted to. Since that time I keep only one rifle out of the SUV at the range and when I'm going downrange I just put it back in my SUV and lock it. Luckily at my club you can back your car up almost to the line which makes doing this very easy. Never again will I leave my firearm behind on the bench. Bad thing can happen anywhere at anytime. Why help the bad thing out by making it easy for them....

you could use the same mentality to justify never leaving your house.

Hey, this is the same forum where people walk around home with their gun strapped on, and they lock their doors while they are home.

Time for everyone to "Lighten up, Frances."

When I first started shooting I'd leave my rifle on the bench and head downrange to change a target. One time, after fixing my target, I was walking back, looked up and just froze for a second. My rifle had a bipod and a sandbag under the butt so as I was walking back it was pointing directly at me. Gave me a very weird feeling. I moved to the side and headed back to the bench. On the way I kept thinking about how there was ammo on the bench and my rifle. If someone wanted to steal my stuff, there wasn't much I would have been able to do about seeing I gave them everything to shoot me with if they wanted to. Since that time I keep only one rifle out of the SUV at the range and when I'm going downrange I just put it back in my SUV and lock it. Luckily at my club you can back your car up almost to the line which makes doing this very easy. Never again will I leave my firearm behind on the bench. Bad thing can happen anywhere at anytime. Why help the bad thing out by making it easy for them....

Exactly. Why take the risk when carrying it with you takes so little effort?

I had a drunk walk over the berm at Woodsman while I was shooting when I lived in Ma. (yeah, really !)

He could have just walked around the gate like everyone else...

I'm not saying that people don't walk into ranges. Harvard has been vandalised a bunch of times by people in the past few years. I know people get in those places.

I'm with squished. I dont get to the range Often enough so when i go I have 3-4 pistols and several rifles with me. Do you guys lock everything up every time you change a target?

Last edited:
I'm another one who does not leave unattended firearms at the line unless someone else whom I know is there with me.

My pistol always goes back to its holster. Always.

My rifle comes with me, with a few extra rounds on me just in case.

If you think people have not been murdered at shooting ranges for their firearms, think again.

[rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of any rules, I do not leave firearms on the line unless someone else I trust is there to safeguard them.

+1 I normally don't agree with you on anything, but what you said above is spot on.

Remember the old guy who was shot multiple times in Okla IN his gun range and then robbed? And this was at 730 in the morning too, not the graveyard shift or nothing.

I enter and vacate the premises of my gun range with my USP 45 always cocked and locked on me, with full awareness of my surroundings, especially when I go shoot late at night (24/7 range).

And unless I bring someone with me to the range, I have only one rifle with me at a time and anytime I need to leave (bathroom etc), it gets locked up and brought with me.

Last edited:
I'm with squished. I do t yet to the range French enough so when u go I have 3-4 pistols and several rifles with me. Do you guys lock everything up every time you change a target?

I don't lock it up. I just keep ammo separate in cans and take the one I'm using with me. I just don't see the reason to tempt fate leaving a rifle and a loaded mag at your back while you're a hundred yards away. YMMV

If I'm shooting less than 50 I just make sure it's unloaded and I have my sidearm.

I generally try to engage the other people in a conversation, and make a judgement call on them.

Wait, isn't what you are doing the same thing THEY are doing? Are you tying up the range for THEM?

When other people are on the range I tend to be friendly but I also tend to not engage in long, wandering conversations. For that I go to the gun store [laugh].

I also don't sit at the bench for long periods of time, firing the occasional shot, looking through my scope, slowly firing another round, etc., etc. However I do keep track of other shooters and if they look like they need to go downrange, I will offer to make the line safe to allow them to do so. Not like some of the other people whom I try to avoid.

Since you seem to have missed my point I will repeat it. I usually go to the rifle range with some specific purpose(s) in mind and I try to accomplish that in a timely manner without rushing myself.

When I (or anyone) go(es) down range, my rifle / handgun is unloaded, and open.. on the bench.. If I am carrying in an IWB or OWB holster, I leave it there.. loaded.. condition 1/0. If I'm practicing with my CCW, and it is on the bench, I leave it there, open and unloaded. I don't handle anything when 'down range' is called, except to unload / open..
Then again.. my range is quiet..

time to build a lockable crate that can hold 5-6 rifles, 5-6 pistols and a couple of cases of ammunition so we can lock out firearms up before walking down to the berm to change targets.

I usually holster my handgun in my IWB while at the range, even inside at Mass Rifle. You can never be too careful dealing with firearms. Crooks steal shit all the time from ranges and I always have an eye on my belongings. I don't even like taking a pee at MRA while my bags are outside the door.

A member here had his pistol mags stolen right out of his motorcycle tank bag AT AN NES SHOOT.

The pollyannas here who laugh or mock those with common sense can just KMA.

I don't think it's common sense one way or the other. Many are comfortable leaving their guns on the line while others aren't. The risk of a problem is extremely small. For those who want to take no risk, they can take their stuff with them down range or lock it in their car, subject to whatever rules their range has. No big deal either way.

The risk of a problem is extremely small.
Risk analysis has to include the probability of occurrence and the consequences. The consequences of having your firearms stolen or used against you and then stolen warrant my caution. YMMV.

subject to whatever rules their range has.
I don't care what the range rules are in this instance. I am not leaving arms unattended unless I know who is at the line.

I guess I'm just confused. When I go to the range, I typically bring 5-6 handguns with me, depending on what i want to shoot. Are you suggesting that I should wear a holster for each one and carry them downrange with me each time I change a target?

I am guessing that you are not shooting 100 yards with your handguns. Walking the 7 yards to your pistol target is an entirely different thing than your rifle target. If I just started back from 300 yards and some scumbag grabs my AR and takes off, what am I going to do? Draw my pistol?

On the other hand, if you grab my handgun, you better be able to run faster than my bullets because my carry gun will be on my hip

I don't think it's common sense one way or the other. Many are comfortable leaving their guns on the line while others aren't. The risk of a problem is extremely small. For those who want to take no risk, they can take their stuff with them down range or lock it in their car, subject to whatever rules their range has. No big deal either way.

I disagree. Guns get stolen out of locked safes all the time, even though the risk is small. Leaving a firearm unattended while you walk away from it dramatically increases that risk.

Back
Top Bottom