safety etiquette on the range

after reading the recent thread about safety violations at the range, this brought up a question.

At the local outdoor range, which has very little activity, I find myself either alone or maybe 1 other person. There are 6 'lanes', 2 50', 2 75' and 2 150'.

If I am alone, shooting my pistol, when I want to change targets and go downrange, I am unsure as to should I leave my pistol on the bench or bring it with me. When I finish shooting I always drop my mag, clear, look, and lock back the slide.

It feels kind of odd to leave it on the bench, on the other hand, having it in one hand while stapling up another target and walking back to the bench pointing down also feels odd.

If someone else is there, it still feels odd to leave it on the bench and walk to the target and not have it.

Further, if I have my rifle on 50yd bench, I do the same procedure, drop the mag, bolt open, etc., but feels wierd to have it pointing sort of at me while i walk 150' away. (I usually point it about 20 deg away down range). I guess someone could just come and take the rifle. Kind of in a secluded area, but there is no gate to the outdoor range.

There are no written rules about this, so wondering if there is standard protocol.

f that shit.
I would holster a loaded pistol, and or shoulder/down range carry a loaded rifle.

but thats just me.

I have a owb holster that I wear while at the range and usually my sr9c stays on my hip, if im going to practice with that then I load another gun and keep it at the ready or make sure ive always got a full mag. I dont like the idea of leaving guns on a bench either, the range I go to has racks at the rifle range and all guns must be racked before the range is clear.

I have a owb holster that I wear while at the range and usually my sr9c stays on my hip, if im going to practice with that then I load another gun and keep it at the ready or make sure ive always got a full mag. I dont like the idea of leaving guns on a bench either, the range I go to has racks at the rifle range and all guns must be racked before the range is clear.

Let us know how the shootout at the range works out for you.

Let us know how the shootout at the range works out for you.
I'm another one who does not leave unattended firearms at the line unless someone else whom I know is there with me.

My pistol always goes back to its holster. Always.

My rifle comes with me, with a few extra rounds on me just in case.

If you think people have not been murdered at shooting ranges for their firearms, think again.

[rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

First: are there range rules that govern it?
If yes, follow them

Regardless of any rules, I do not leave firearms on the line unless someone else I trust is there to safeguard them.

At my range we have outdoor 30' pistol bays so no need to worry about leaving on the table. I often holster anyway. At the rifle range, I just take my bolt with me down range. Not worried about theft. I do not believe our range rules permit you to take your rifle down range. I guess for a semiauto I could case it, though you are not allowed to touch the gun while the down range indicators are on.

If you are that concerned about theft at your private, members only shooting range, then you're doing it wrong. Find a new range.

Never thought much of it actually. They stay on the bench. I'm not too concerned about being shot and robbed but I do take care to notice who is behind me and note what they are doing, like handling their stuff while I'm out front.

If you are that concerned about theft at your private, members only shooting range, then you're doing it wrong. Find a new range.

My club rules state that firearms must not be left unattended. It comes with me. I will be damned if I am going to leave a $1500 rifle on the bench as I walk down and back on the 300 yard range. That is what slings are for.

By nature, most clubs, mine included, are set way back in the woods, and although there is a card coded vehicle gate,and surveillance cameras, there is nothing to stop a random miscreant from just walking onto any of the three outdoor ranges. I am not so much worried about other members. They passed through a access controlled gate.

I'm a member at two private, members-only shooting ranges. I've run off trespassers at one range. At the other range, there can be 100+ attendees at a match and the gate is open during these events, so anyone can drive in. Even at a private, members-only shooting range, guns have been stolen:

SAUGUS, Mass. (AP) - A Saugus police officer allegedly caught on surveillance video stealing a gun has resigned.

Chief Domenic DiMella tells The Daily Item of Lynn that officer Jason LaBella sent him a one-sentence letter of resignation on Thursday.

LaBella, an Army veteran who has been a patrolman for less than two years, is facing a criminal larceny charge after he was allegedly caught on video tape stealing a handgun from a member of the Mass. Rifle Association, a Woburn-based gun club.

I don't always take my rifle downrange with me, but I certainly have done it on occasion.

If I am alone at the range, I always holster my pistol or sling my rifle for the walk down to the targets. I don't necessarily keep them loaded for a firefight, but I also don't want them pointed at my back.

What is it to you what I do with my firearms?

Easy there. He posted his opinion in the same thread you posted yours in... There is no right and wrong here. This is a YMMV type of a question and each person's facts will vary depending on a number of factors including ones own skepticism towards the world.

Oh ! Silly me. [thinking]

I forgot anyone intent on theft would obey the PRIVATE PROPERTY sign !

PRIVATE PROPERTY and NO TRESPASSING signs are as effective as a GUN FREE ZONE sign. [laugh]

I'm with Jose. Holstered pistol or a loaded, slung rifle while downrange.

As stated some clubs will have policies about what you should do with your firearms when not at the bench or firing lane with them directly. If I am at the range by myself I never leave something unattended and easily accessible. If it rifle I will clear it, bolt open, magazines and ammo in one area and then rifle goes up on a rack. I do not leave my rifle pointed downrange when I go to change targets etc. If shooting hand guns I will clear, slide open or cylinder open. Ammo put aside from it or in my range bag. I sometimes will put my still cooling firearm resting in my range bag and just take the empty mags and put them in my pocket. And then of course you should always have something concealed or on your hip anyhow. Just my two cents in the matter.

Life isn't that simple! See below.

By nature, most clubs, mine included, are set way back in the woods, and although there is a card coded vehicle gate,and surveillance cameras, there is nothing to stop a random miscreant from just walking onto any of the three outdoor ranges. I am not so much worried about other members. They passed through a access controlled gate.

This! We had some neighborhood miscreants who broke into the outbuildings over 20 times at my first club. They stole and destroyed lots of property. This was back in the 1970s, no power out at the outdoor ranges and cameras/computers/etc. weren't available back then. I always used to get razzed for wearing a loaded gun at all times on club property. We regularly had people wander in as local PDs would stop people shooting in the woods in neighboring towns and tell them to go to our club . . . so they did! [thinking]

That club is in the woods but no access control mechanism wrt access to the property. My current clubs both have access control to the property but nothing that would stop walk-ins.

Oh ! Silly me. [thinking]

I forgot anyone intent on theft would obey the PRIVATE PROPERTY sign !

PRIVATE PROPERTY and NO TRESPASSING signs are as effective as a GUN FREE ZONE sign. [laugh]

I'm with Jose. Holstered pistol or a loaded, slung rifle while downrange.

Always with holstered, loaded pistol. Never slung a rifle when going downrange yet, but I'm not in NH yet either. [wink] [At least one of my clubs would probably frown at a slung rifle.] I do keep an eye back to the benches when going downrange however and I'm usually there with another person.

Always with holstered, loaded pistol. Never slung a rifle when going downrange yet, but I'm not in NH yet either. [wink] [At least one of my clubs would probably frown at a slung rifle.] I do keep an eye back to the benches when going downrange however and I'm usually there with another person.

I generally try to go to the rifle range at times when I am fairly certain that I will be the only one there. Too often the people from my club who shoot rifle fall into the category of sitting down, firing a few shots, taking their time, and generally tieing up the range. I like to go, set up, fire and practise what I need to do, and leave.

When I am alone I ALWAYS sling my (unloaded) rifle (carrying a few mags in my vest pockets) when I go down-range. Nothing has ever happened at my range, but that doesn't mean that some Platt and Matix wanna-be's aern't cruising this area. Quad-riders often follow the powerline cleared areas to cruise around our range.

I always have my OWB G27 with me with a full mag. Personally I always walk out of the range that way too. Save an extra mag loaded. I would think the best place to score a few guns would be to hit up a guy leaving the range. Most guys will shoot all their rounds at the range.

I guess I'm just confused. When I go to the range, I typically bring 5-6 handguns with me, depending on what i want to shoot. Are you suggesting that I should wear a holster for each one and carry them downrange with me each time I change a target?

I always holster a loaded pistol.
When i leave my rifle on the bench i clear it and lock my ammo box. At least then i wont get in a fight with my own rifle and ammo. Thats when im alone or with others i dont know or trust.
When others are there, Most of the club members I have met and shared guns and ammo with so I'm not concerned about leaving stuff out.

At my local range I am almost always shooting by myself. When I'm not it is usually with someone I know to be a club member. I've thought about the safety/security of leaving my gun on the table while I'm downrange but not much. However, I read a news story much like the one I've posted here and ever since I have concealed carry to, while at and from the range. Like everything else in the world, no amount of preparation is going to cover you in all situations, but heightening your sense of awareness while your dealing with firearms seems more than prudent.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/man-injured-at-wagoner-county-gun-range#ixzz1eixlcUoM

Which NES member is this going to change their target?

ZOMG.jpg

So, who keeps the strangers out? If they want to steal firearms, you think they will follow club rules?

My club rules state that firearms must not be left unattended...

Also state law.

...By nature, most clubs, mine included, are set way back in the woods, and although there is a card coded vehicle gate,and surveillance cameras, there is nothing to stop a random miscreant from just walking onto any of the three outdoor ranges. I am not so much worried about other members. They passed through a access controlled gate.

Not all clubs have these card coded things. Our gate has a tree grown around and through it. They are thinking of starting to use it again, as membership has gone up quite a bit, and keeping track of members is hard enough, let alone non-members. The trouble is, keys or other ways of keeping this working is costly.

I generally try to go to the rifle range at times when I am fairly certain that I will be the only one there. ...

I generally try to engage the other people in a conversation, and make a judgement call on them.

...Too often the people from my club who shoot rifle fall into the category of sitting down, firing a few shots, taking their time, and generally tieing up the range. I like to go, set up, fire and practise what I need to do, and leave.

Wait, isn't what you are doing the same thing THEY are doing? Are you tying up the range for THEM?

I always have my OWB G27 with me with a full mag. Personally I always walk out of the range that way too. Save an extra mag loaded. I would think the best place to ...

Don't give them ideas. I'd say to edit that out of your post.

Any access system costs money. All four clubs that I've been a member of charged $$ for keys/access cards, sometimes it was an "add-on" and sometimes it was built into your dues initially but replacements (lost/broken) cost $x additional.

A security system cost money, it's a legit operating expense for any club and should be treated as such. Only one of said four clubs had no access control to the grounds and that was the one that had all sorts of people just "show up and shoot" . . . cops shooting CF rifles on a range where only rimfire was allowed, people stopped in woods in other towns by PD and told to go there, etc. [I am no longer a member of that club so no idea if it is still an issue or not, but know that there is no gate to the property.]

Back
Top Bottom