S&W Shield recall?

Glad I listened to my gut and never bought a Shield 9mm...

Hope you guys get your firearms straightened out. And for those whose only CCW is the Shield, damn.

Much ado about nothing!

Checked mine, AOK.

I'm sure that some are affected and S&W will make it right for them, pays shipping both ways and promised to get it back to the owner in 5-7 days.

Nobody should have ONLY one gun!

Nobody should have ONLY one gun!

Best advice here!

I'm pretty sure most members on here have well over one gun. [wink]

My Shield checks out, but is this a straight-from-the-factory defect or a progressive failure? I assume the former, as S&W is only asking for the return of the firearm if there is evidence of malfunction and has not elected to do a complete recall of all pistols.

Awesome you guys and gals didn't have any issue. And yeah most people don't just have one gun but I was talking about CCWs.

S&W must be a cluster**** today with calls/emails. How come Glock/Springfield never has recalls [wink]

I'm worried exactly 0% about my Shield having any reliability issues when called upon. Besides, this "safety concern" had nothing to do with the gun not functioning when needed in duress.

Awesome you guys and gals didn't have any issue. And yeah most people don't just have one gun but I was talking about CCWs.

S&W must be a cluster**** today with calls/emails. How come Glock/Springfield never has recalls [wink]

You are right, Glock is "PERFECTION" just like they say!

Must be why 2 out of 3 Glocks that we bought needed lots of replacement parts! Since Glock will NOT pay shipping to them to fix a broken Glock (probably because they never break, right?) most of us get them fixed locally and just wait for parts to be delivered to a Glock armorer.

Wife's G17 was an unfired PD gun, a spare that sat in their armory for years until they swapped for new guns. ALL parts were original from factory. After maybe 1000 rds if that, the trigger did the "rubber band" routine on me at the range. I had an FFL/minor gunsmith (club member who happened to be on the line at the time) look at it. Then I had a friend who's a Glock Armorer check it out and order all new small parts. A couple weeks later we had it all working again.

Bought a G23 from another NES'r and due to some weird behavior had above-mentioned friend/Armorer look at it. Locking block was cracked in 2 pieces and drifting up upon recoil. He ordered all new small parts and a few weeks later it was working fine again.

Only my G22 which was bought as a factory refurb has had no problems.

Meanwhile my 4 M&Ps have probably had 3-4K total thru them and run flawlessly, albeit all have had trigger jobs.

The above is anecdotal and proves nothing about a brand/model. They are all basically reliable guns.

I'm worried exactly 0% about my Shield having any reliability issues when called upon. Besides, this "safety concern" had nothing to do with the gun not functioning when needed in duress.

Right, the worry was that it would go bang if you pulled ONLY the upper part of the trigger, not that it would fail to fire (see my Glock stories above)!

And S&W WILL pay shipping both ways if yours has a problem. Try asking Glock to do that! [rofl]

Don't know about Springfield, but you're right about Glock. They never have recalls... just recommended "upgrade programs" like the recent one for malfunctioning Gen4 recoil springs, and a number of others you can see here. [wink]

Glock keeps up their advertising perception of "Perfection". Many drink their Kool-Aid! ALL mechanical things can and will fail, period! German engineering is superb, but nothing is "Perfection" in spite of any advertising campaigns to the contrary.

German engineering is superb, but nothing is "Perfection" in spite of any advertising campaigns to the contrary.

Austrian, not German. [wink]

I will freely admit that Glock's track record for reliability has been pretty darn good, and I am a happy Glock owner myself. I'm just bothered by the comments that Glocks never fail or break, because they do... Any machine breaks eventually, even if it is unusually well-engineered.

Is NES anti-Glock?

Not I

Whatever fits the shooters hand better and they can shoot most effectively is the right answer for that person.

When teaching I bring the G17 and M&P9 and let the student decide!

I am not a Kool-Aid drinker for either platform. Sadly many Glocksters are religious fanatics about that platform the same way Apple worshipers are for their i-everything . . . meaning that they preach that everything else is junk. I believe in free choice.

Not I

Sadly many Glocksters are religious fanatics about that platform the same way Apple worshipers are for their i-everything . . . meaning that they preach that everything else is junk. I believe in free choice.

Bingo, bango, bongo.

Maybe it only affects non Massachusetts triggers? Since we have such a wonderful trigger to begin with [smile]

Last edited:
Not I

Whatever fits the shooters hand better and they can shoot most effectively is the right answer for that person.

When teaching I bring the G17 and M&P9 and let the student decide!

I am not a Kool-Aid drinker for either platform. Sadly many Glocksters are religious fanatics about that platform the same way Apple worshipers are for their i-everything . . . meaning that they preach that everything else is junk. I believe in free choice.

I also love anything that goes bang and only have 2 Glocks. The Shield is practically brand new and already have been recalled (even if it's minor like this). Glock have been around for a long time and only until recently have their been significant 'issues' with the Gen 4s etc.

I like the M&P series but not enough to buy one. I wouldn't say that they suck because they don't, just simply stating my opinion.

I have a shield and just recently bought a glock 26 and have to say between the both I like the glock better . Just my opinion

I have a shield and just recently bought a glock 26 and have to say between the both I like the glock better . Just my opinion

A little fatter on the hip. Trigger is better if you have a liberal shield trigger. I shot a G27 and a Shield in .40. Went with the shield. Just need a trigger job.

Back
Top Bottom