S&W sales plummet

I'd guess that the stock has some ways down to go. I don't think it is yet time to buy.

I bought it at 3. Sold it around 13. If it ever gets to 3 again i will buy again and hold for the next crisis.

I anticipated over buying and a precipitous fall in sales as drgrant outined above

If the senate rolls over republican there wont be much upside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My guess is that gun prices are low for now, but that Hillary Clinton's campaign in 2016 will make things start to pick up, and if she gets elected we'll be right back to bare ammo shelves and low inventory on guns.

Though possible, doubtful. If both house and senate are in repub hands shes a lame duck. Obama owns the senate and cant get shit passed for gun conrol. That **** wont be able to either.

My guess is that gun prices are low for now, but that Hillary Clinton's campaign in 2016 will make things start to pick up, and if she gets elected we'll be right back to bare ammo shelves and low inventory on guns.
bare ammo shelves won't mean much to me by 2016.......I learned my ****ing lesson this last time.

Though possible, doubtful. If both house and senate are in repub hands shes a lame duck. Obama owns the senate and cant get shit passed for gun conrol. That **** wont be able to either.
Even with the Senate back marginally into Republican hands (PLEASE Dear Lord!!!), I fear that a Hillary presidency will change the make-up of SCOTUS into a liberal Dem majority lock... and then you can kiss the 2nd Amendment good-bye faster than a hot knife through butter.

Even with the Senate back marginally into Republican hands (PLEASE Dear Lord!!!), I fear that a Hillary presidency will change the make-up of SCOTUS into a liberal Dem majority lock... and then you can kiss the 2nd Amendment good-bye faster than a hot knife through butter.

Losing our majority in SCOTUS is the real threat.

Let me know if you find any... [grin] ... meaning something "slightly used" actually priced below what I can buy it for brand new. [thinking]

That is why I put the RLMFAO on the end of that statement! I look in the classifieds here and just shake my head sometimes....like .....let me get this straight......you want me to pay you 50 bucks less than I could pay for a new gun at the LGS.......then pay another $25 cuz you are out of EFA10 and burn $20 in gas to get to your shop to get it.....so I saved my self $5 on a used one? Nah I'll jsut call my LGS and have him let me know when the one I want comes to the shop new!

Last edited:
As pdm reminded me in a private note, HK magazines are expensive because they are so good you can put the boolits in backwards:

badbrochure.jpg

Never. Gets. Old. [laugh]

That is why I put the RLMFAO on the end of that statement! I look in the classifieds here and just shake my head sometimes....like .....let me get this straight......you want me to pay you 50 bucks less than I could pay for a new gun at the LGS.......then pay another $25 cuz you are out of EFA10 and burn $20 in gas to get to your shop to get it.....so I saved my self $5 on a used one? Nah I'll jsut call my LGS and have him let me know when the one I want comes to the shop new!
Exactly! [thumbsup] And crazy Armslist is even worse. I'd be embarrassed to list a used gun for more than I can buy one for brand spanking new including tax, but different strokes for different folks I guess. [grin]

Not really. The price of new guns won't fall much. There isn't a lot of overhead/margin in the price of a new gun once it gets to the distributor level. There might be some discounts but they're not going to amount to mouse milk, best case scenario is that some of the overpriced dealers will be forced to bring prices down to what the rest of us are already paying.

-Mike

Deals like this:

Last edited:
Gun companies never realized the massive gun buying frenzy was going to be short lived. They ramped up manufacturing while looking at their profits thinking it was going to last forever. So they kept building. But as the buying frenzy died down manufacturing remained high. This flooded the market with guns. Gun shops are fully stocked and nobody is buying. So, gun stores aren't putting in any orders and manufacturers look like they are losing. And they are. I wonder how many families have dealt with being laid off from work at their gun company.

Definately a threat. Definately a civil war

I would think that events would have about a 6 month spike in demand. S&W has also had some recall issues. I think the more serious influence in the market is yet to come with Iraq heating up again and the Ukraine-Russia conflict. I'm feeling a bit "exposed" with under 500 rounds of 7.62 in hand...

These companies made so much over the last few yrs they should be fine for a yr or 2. I don't wanna hear one complaint from them.

No doubt.... I don't think industry CEO's will have to resort to eating cat food quite yet, however the guys/ladies on the machines are taking a beating (our own local Savage Arms getting hit again...).

Last edited:
Though it's probably more about the Obama scare being over, i truly believe the more product lines u sell, the chances of quality control going down the toilet are high. Glock only makes one type of product and it shows with reliability of the product, if Glock decided to make revolvers, rifles etc etc, IMHO you would see a drop in quality somewhere down the line, I stay away from these "big box" companies like Ruger, S&W.

Though it's probably more about the Obama scare being over, i truly believe the more product lines u sell, the chances of quality control going down the toilet are high. Glock only makes one type of product and it shows with reliability of the product, if Glock decided to make revolvers, rifles etc etc, IMHO you would see a drop in quality somewhere down the line, I stay away from these "big box" companies like Ruger, S&W.
Cant beleive it........a Glockamaniac found a way to turn a thread about S and W stock into a plug for pure awesomeness of the Glock pistol. Do you glock guys ever quit?[rofl]

Cant beleive it........a Glockamaniac found a way to turn a thread about S and W stock into a plug for pure awesomeness of the Glock pistol. Do you glock guys ever quit?[rofl]

Haha, what can I say, they just work.

I've seen more threads lately about busted M&P ' s than any other pistol.

Hillary doesn’t stand a chance of winning. A large number of women won’t vote for a female president for one, in addition to a lot of men who won’t. Then her opponent can just bring up video of her calling for abolishing the Republic after Gore lost (by eliminating the electoral college). She won’t get a single vote from a small state once people understand what that means.

She had a small chance when she ran against Obama, but now 8 years older and more scary looking, and she has zero chance. It’ll be some other Democrat, a male, to watch out for.

Gun companies never realized the massive gun buying frenzy was going to be short lived. They ramped up manufacturing while looking at their profits thinking it was going to last forever. So they kept building. But as the buying frenzy died down manufacturing remained high. This flooded the market with guns. Gun shops are fully stocked and nobody is buying. So, gun stores aren't putting in any orders and manufacturers look like they are losing. And they are. I wonder how many families have dealt with being laid off from work at their gun company.

I disagree;
Gun companies never realized the massive gun buying frenzy was going to be short lived. They ramped up manufacturing while looking at their profits thinking it was going to last forever. So they kept building.
I believe they knew to wouldn't last forever. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't invest in your company while you can and increase production. When there is a demand, you need to supply.

But as the buying frenzy died down manufacturing remained high. This flooded the market with guns.
I think it was damn near impossible to say exactly when the demand would end. I'm sure it's been gradual but they still need to make sure they can supply product.

Gun shops are fully stocked and nobody is buying. So, gun stores aren't putting in any orders and manufacturers look like they are losing. And they are.
People are still buying, just not at the rate they were. Gun shops are still putting in orders, just not as often or for the qty they during the boom.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...obama-gun-bubble-is-bursting?campaign_id=yhoo

eta; It's mainly their long gun sales that have been affected. They are down 67%, that a big number, but S&W hasn't exactly been known for their long guns. They have traditionally been more of a pistol and police supply company.

I wonder how many families have dealt with being laid off from work at their gun company.
Are you suggesting they shouldn't of been hired when they were busy then?

Last edited:
Let me know if you find any... [grin] ... meaning something "slightly used" actually priced below what I can buy it for brand new. [thinking]

Couldnt help myself:

Bobs in Salisbury has a shield 9mm brand new.....CASH $375 listed on their site TODAY

And this posted today on NES:

I have aS&W Shield in 9mm--LNIB
25 rounds fired after trigger job, excellent carry pistol
Apex duty trigger and fiber optic tru glo night sights
Pistol--------$420
Trigger job--$100
Tru Glo's----$80
I have $600 into this pistol-its ready to go-no work needed
$500-Cash--FFL transfer on you
ALL LAWS FOLLOWED
IF YOUR SERIOUS AND NEED PICS LET ME KNOW,

Bwahahahaha.....how about I pay bob 375 for a brand ****ing new one (and not take someons word it only has 25 rounds down the pipe) and put a $100 trigger and $80 sites on it myself.......then of course I'm paying the transfer fee so for $20 more I could have a brand new gun!!!!!![rofl]

Some of these guys are such used car salesman it makes me cringe......love how he says 25 rounds fired AFTER THE TRIGGER JOB.......yeah how many fired before that!

Last edited:
I disagree;

I believe they knew to wouldn't last forever. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't invest in your company while you can and increase production. When there is a demand, you need to supply.

I think it was damn near impossible to say exactly when the demand would end. I'm sure it's been gradual but they still need to make sure they can supply product.

People are still buying, just not at the rate they were. Gun shops are still putting in orders, just not as often or for the qty they during the boom.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...obama-gun-bubble-is-bursting?campaign_id=yhoo

eta; It's mainly their long gun sales that have been affected. They are down 67%, that a big number, but S&W hasn't exactly been known for their long guns. They have traditionally been more of a pistol and police supply company.

Are you suggesting they shouldn't of been hired when they were busy then?

At my last job we built tons of guns daily, literally and this was normal. When the market exploded the company hired a bunch of full-time employees, rather than temps which would suggest they figured the market was simply growing and the frenzy wasn't temporary. When things slowed down, they didn't just slow down, things came to a screeching halt. This is absolutely because the market was flooded when the frenzy died down.

Now, there are hundreds of full time employees who lost their jobs because of all this.

At my last job we built tons of guns daily, literally and this was normal. When the market exploded the company hired a bunch of full-time employees, rather than temps which would suggest they figured the market was simply growing and the frenzy wasn't temporary. When things slowed down, they didn't just slow down, things came to a screeching halt. This is absolutely because the market was flooded when the frenzy died down.

Now, there are hundreds of full time employees who lost their jobs because of all this.

What is your point? DOes the manufacturer have some great responsibility that I am unaware of? They hired.......they layed off......so what......its called business.........Are you suggesting they pay people to stand around and do nothing?

What is your point? DOes the manufacturer have some great responsibility that I am unaware of? They hired.......they layed off......so what......its called business.........Are you suggesting they pay people to stand around and do nothing?
My point is that it sucks.

That is the job of gov't and unions!!

My point is that it sucks.
Yeah sometimes it does. markets go up and markets go down......jobs come and jobs go......that is why some people are smart enough to keep a years worth of bill money in the bank at all times for emergencies and have credit scores over 800........and then again some people are not that smart. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Yeah sometimes it does. markets go up and markets go down......jobs come and jobs go......that is why some of us are smart enough to keep a years worth of bill money in the bank at all times for emergencies and have credit scores over 800........and then again some people don't. It is what it is.
This is true.

What I was originally getting at was that since our production remained high even after buying died down we kind of shot ourselves in the foot because we had a lot of inventory and not many sales. Things will return to normal on the consumer end before it will on the manufacturing end.

Back
Top Bottom