s&w model 908 9mm info needed

I just recently purchased a s & w model 908 9mm pistol on gunbroker. Waiting for it to be shipped. I am looking for anyone who has or has had one for some feedback. Anyone out there can help? thanks

I don't have a 908, but I have a 915, which is the double stack version of it. It is an excellent pistol with very good ergonomics and capable of superb accuracy. The 908 and 3913 are close cousins and the 3913 is considered one of the all-time best efforts by S&W.

I have a 3914, which is closely related to all of the above weapons. Very well made and reliable firearms. The 908 is the current version. Allow frame, steel slide. There is also a 908S which is stainless steel. You should enjoy carrying and shooting it.

My grandfather has a 908. It's nice and slim, seems to shoot well enough once you get past the 20lb double action pull. I would highly recommend trigger work if it hasn't already been done. Oh, and I think it came from the factory with Novak sights.

Step away from 1911s and pick up a revolver. [rolleyes]

Nah, I like my 1911's too much. Re-tune your sarcasm meter, it may not be full 20 lb pull but it is a great deal heavier than the DA pull on my Sig, and it's heavy enough that in his hands the pull induces enough hand shaking that he'll only shoot it in single action.

I just recently purchased a s & w model 908 9mm pistol on gunbroker. Waiting for it to be shipped. I am looking for anyone who has or has had one for some feedback. Anyone out there can help? thanks

I don't have a 908, but I have several S&W 9mm pistols. I like them all. They are generally fine guns and I think you'll enjoy yours. I found this summary of the 908 here. The concluding paragraph follows:

Now let's look at the Model 908. The 908 is the economy version of the 3913 series of pistols. It has the long, double action trigger pull that requires at least 10 pounds of pull to make it fire. With the safety on, you can draw the gun or fumble in he dark in your nightstand for it and be completely confident it won't go off. The 908 is an extremely reliable weapon. We have put over 2500 rounds through ours and have never had a malfunction. Accuracy is also excellent -- better than many self defense pistols. The gun carries well and the thin grip, coupled with the short barrel, make it extremely comfortable to keep on you all day. We find that this old technology is highly effective and, for the person who will not or cannot devote the time to become a gun master, it is a logical and safe choice.

Good luck with the new gun!

it's heavy enough that in his hands the pull induces enough hand shaking that he'll only shoot it in single action.
I can pull through any DA trigger and place the shot where I want it.

That's the difference between someone who has mastered double action revolvers and someone who has not.

I had one. A fine pistol that always hit what I pointed it at. Nice carry 9mm. I sold it then bought it back from the person I sold it to. Sold it again to get a 3913 another good Smith.

The 908 is my everyday carry gun. It is light weight and short and easy to hide. I don't have a problem with the low round count.
The one I have has never had a ftf or fte and is as accurate as any 9mm short pistol.
The other fact is that it is a value line gun it was the least expensive S&W semi auto 3rd. gen. gun and if I get into a deadly force confrontation and is taken as evidence never to be returned to me it won’t be a great loss.

I can pull through any DA trigger and place the shot where I want it.

That's the difference between someone who has mastered double action revolvers and someone who has not.

Well congrats.... Only problem was I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about a man in his 70's with a bit of palsy in his hands... The OP asked for opinions and experiences with the model 908, and in my opinion, aside from a fairly heavy trigger it is a nice piece. I don't care what you think of mine or my grandfather's shooting abilities, nor do I give a rip about your "mastery of double action revolvers".

To the OP, sorry that this thread is getting all crapped up. In my opinion, the example I fired could use a trigger job, obviously others who have never handled this particular example disagree. Other than that, it has proven to be a reliable and accurate firearm,as well as being well sized for average/small hands, and very thin, which should aid in concealability should you choose to carry it. I hope that you enjoy yours.

I feel the same way jose, my dad brought me up with colt revolvers and would'nt let me touch the hammer. He said this would improve my confidence and accuracy with lots of practice and he was right[grin]

Never had the displeasure of dealing with one of those.

But heavy doesn't matter to me. All my wheelguns are between 8.5 and 10 lbs DA. They are, however, butter smooth.

The heavy trigger part is perhaps the best aspect of the Stigma trigger. It goes downhill from there. [laugh]

that's my carry weapon never had a jam its nice and small but not so small my hand dwarfs it when i hold it. I use a in the waist holster and its super comfortable. I don't know what the guy who mentioned a 20 pound pull is talking about i have no problem firing it accurately with the way the trigger came from the factory

that's my carry weapon never had a jam its nice and small but not so small my hand dwarfs it when i hold it. I use a in the waist holster and its super comfortable. I don't know what the guy who mentioned a 20 pound pull is talking about i have no problem firing it accurately with the way the trigger came from the factory

Unless it's much different than my 3914, I can't see that much trigger pull being needed. All of the third generation 9 mm Smiths (I have three) shoot very well.

I have a Bianchi Pistol Pocket for the 3914 and 6906 that's very comfortable. As is the Mika's IWB holster. I have a Safety Speed holster that I haven't used yet, but I expect it will be comfortable as well.

Great carry firearms and very reliable.

How many have taken a trigger scale to their 3rd Generation S&W's DA trigger?

I have, and I can assure you it is not 20 lbs, nor even close to that.

Back
Top Bottom