red dot vs. holographic vs. optical

No accusations here, but everyone whom I've heard accuse the EOTech of having an "obstructive" reticle has only seen them in Modern Warfare. It's a 1 MOA ring, and with the dimming adjustment, it's not intrusive at all.

You're welcome to try out my 517 if you'd like.
It depends on what you want to do with it. For steel plate and minute of torso hits on target they are OK. My eotech is a few years old and it looks awful all those tiny dots and I question the MOA dot as it darn near covers a 6" target at 100 yards?

OK. What is the difference between the red dots that have a barrel and look like a scope, and the ones which are like a frame with a piece of plastic in them? By this, I mean, how do they work (mechanically/optically), as well as how do they perform in dark and in bright conditions? What are the ups and downs to each style? I used to see more of the ones with the frame, but those seem to not be so trendy lately. Is there a reason? Are they more fragile? I guess the ones with the barrel have some magnification, so that may be my answer. Can anyone confirm? That might help for me, as my vision is not as great as it used to be. But, then again, this is a .22, and the range is pretty much within my vision's range anyhow, which I think I said was 75 yards or less.

Um, is this the same one you have, Minininjer?

On a .22?
You can go to wall mart and buy all the cheap red dots and scopes you think you like and try them , return the ones you don't like.
I have owned several red dot style optics. For what you want to do the tasco Propint is tough to beat. Mine is 20 years old. It holds zero and has been on every thing from ARs,shotguns,pistols and 22s . currently on my 50 cal muzzle loader. The down side to the tasco propoint ProPoint | Tasco® — Believe it.
Is 1moa adjustments so fine tuning your zero can be frustrating if your trying to really dial it in. Not designed for shooting groups anyway.
The "reflex" style sights on the cheap ones suck and are easily nocked off zero and break.
Your end use and expectations are key in finding something you really like.
Up your cost up a little and there are some nice low priced rim fire optics out there.
I like this one Amazon product ASIN B00WR5TQTCView: https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-Sport-Optics-Subsonic-Riflescope/dp/B00WR5TQTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513991876&sr=8-1&keywords=hawke+optics+scopes+14223

I also know a few people with these and they cover a lot of what you desire. Plus have a side adjusting parallax which comes in handy from 0-75 yards.
Sweet 22 Series 2-7x32 Rifle Scope | BSA Optics

You can never beat irons on a 22, My 3 Marlins, 99-M1, 60 and 39A are all irons and my Glenfield 20, my first rifle, has a Simmons 3-9 x 30 which is dead on. I love 22's, you can never have enough.
Iron sights are great when you can see them. I like aperture style target sights and try to put them on many guns when I can. I like scopes too and red dots. They all have a certain place. No one scope/optic can fill all your needs.

Doh old ass thread!

It's OK, we are all getting old ass old.

We have two of the cheap Sightmark green dots. On a clear sunny day the dot is still bright and easy to see with a brighter setting. One on Mrs. Mountain's AR and one on my .458 socom. Both holding up fine for a few years now. Seems to hold zero just fine, even on extended shooting sessions with the .458.

but a $500 optic on a $200 rifle?...he did say he wanted to stay under $100
sure why not ..... heck I got more in target sights on a few rifles than the cost of the rifle...
6eQB9IC.jpg

It's OK, we are all getting old ass old.

We have two of the cheap Sightmark green dots. On a clear sunny day the dot is still bright and easy to see with a brighter setting. One on Mrs. Mountain's AR and one on my .458 socom. Both holding up fine for a few years now. Seems to hold zero just fine, even on extended shooting sessions with the .458.
im on 22 kick this month and next going through sorting and selling some. Im going to run the M1 carbine again soon ( the "rock ola" I "refinished" ) also will have the marlin 99 and 60 out for a run soon. one of those is getting a nice basic 3x9x32 luepold

im on 22 kick this month and next going through sorting and selling some. Im going to run the M1 carbine again soon ( the "rock ola" I "refinished" ) also will have the marlin 99 and 60 out for a run soon. one of those is getting a nice basic 3x9x32 luepold
heres the 20 year old tasco pro point It was more expensive then than now! Great for steel and clay targets at 100 yards my daughter really likes it
9M7dVKP.jpg

Thinking about a scope for a Ruger 10/22 for range and plinking. I was thinking maybe a red dot or a holographic type sight or maybe just a regular optical scope 4x32 or something.

What I would really like is something like a 3x by 30mm for the slight magnification, and wider body for more light (dusk and dawn), without getting too big on the primary lens. I don't know of anything like that, at least in the sub-$100 zone.

Anyhow, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the red-dot vs. holographic sights?

Some contenders in reverse order, anyone have one of these?
Pentax Gameseeker HS20 Dot Scope
NcSTAR D4S
NcSTAR D4B
Tactical Micro Holographic Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Matte
Aimtech Sports Red & Green 4 Reticles Sight
Browning Buckmark Holographic Sight
TruGlo Holographic Red Dot Sight Red and Green 4-Pattern Reticle
BSA Optics Holographic Red Dot Sight 4 Reticle
BSA Optics BSA Pano Holographic Sight 4 Reticle
American Tactical Imports Tactical Electro-Dot Sight Red/Green Fou
Landmark Yukon Sightmark Holographic Reflex Sight-Matte Black
Osprey Compact Multi - reticle Reflex Sight
Sightmark SM13005 Sightmark Ultra Shot Holographic Sight
AimSHOT Holographic Sight HG-M2

from here

A couple guidelines:
Probably 75 yards and less 90% of the time
I wear glasses
I would use this in mornings and evenings, as well as daylight
For paper targets, cans, and some hunting

I wouldn't buy any of those.. The best budget red dots are:

Bushnell tr25 - as low as $40 I had one on an AK for like 10 years and about 11,000rds still works.. can still hit 8" plates at 300yrds consistently
Primary Arms - $80
Holosun - $100ish

I just put a C-more (aluminum one) on my KRISS, I got the 6MOA version. Seems like a nice quality red dot, haven't been out to use it yet so we'll see if it holds up in practice. I have to pretty much wear cheaters now for any up close reading or shop work. The day I got the C-More I took it out of the box and turned it on, I was pissed cuz it had a huge fuzzy dot. I was like what the f***!! Ten minutes later I realized I still had my glasses on :confused:

Back
Top Bottom