red dot vs. holographic vs. optical

OK. What is the difference between the red dots that have a barrel and look like a scope, and the ones which are like a frame with a piece of plastic in them? By this, I mean, how do they work (mechanically/optically), as well as how do they perform in dark and in bright conditions? What are the ups and downs to each style? I used to see more of the ones with the frame, but those seem to not be so trendy lately. Is there a reason? Are they more fragile? I guess the ones with the barrel have some magnification, so that may be my answer. Can anyone confirm? That might help for me, as my vision is not as great as it used to be. But, then again, this is a .22, and the range is pretty much within my vision's range anyhow, which I think I said was 75 yards or less.

Um, is this the same one you have, Minininjer?

On a .22?

No, I went off topic. I use irons on my 22s and have a BSA dot sight in a pinch.

There are more decent red dots on the market than choices at a candy store. It's all personal preference, 1 moa, 3 moa, or conventional APV. Primary Arms is turning out some really nice stuff for all under a hundred bucks, same with Bushnell. I like my Vortex red/green Strikefire and I just put a Sparc on an Ultimak on my Saiga 5.45, they rock, but cost almost 200 plus the mount for the Saiga. I ran across a Springfield Armory red dot a few years back which sits on one of my 10/22's, the other has a APV. Either way, your sure to be like a child in a candy store trying to pick something out, have fun, that's what shooting is all about.

That is why I am asking. I want to know what works and what doesn't, in the conditions and uses I said. I am looking for good deals and to avoid bad ones. This is not a life or death thing, and it isn't for competition. The 1moa vs. 3moa thing is something I am seeking advice on, against the conditions spelled out above. Same with red vs. green; or dot vs. circle vs. crosshairs.

Still looking for an answer on differences between types.

Also looking to try one or two out. My father had a cheap $20 (BSA?) one from Walmart on his pellet gun, which was OK, but I think he dropped it and screwed it up or something.

Thanks everyone, and keep it coming.

No, I went off topic. I use irons on my 22s and have a BSA dot sight in a pinch.
You can never beat irons on a 22, My 3 Marlins, 99-M1, 60 and 39A are all irons and my Glenfield 20, my first rifle, has a Simmons 3-9 x 30 which is dead on. I love 22's, you can never have enough.

The sights on the 10/22 stink, and my eyes aren't getting better. I'd do the Tech sights, but if I am going to spend money on something, I'd prefer some magnification. I wish there were an inexpensive 2x or 3x scope that isn't huge; like a 3x by 30mm barrel with 32x objective would be fine. I figured I'd investigate these red dot and holographic sights while I'm at it, since they seem kind of popular.

By the way, how do "reflex" sights come into this? Are red dot sights also known as reflex?

I have the m3, It's not as clear as an aimpoint but it's no where near the price either. It holds zero and for the money it's good. Which clone are you using?

I'm using the Primary Arms M3 clone. I was asking about the micro dot from PA. I watched a bunch of video reviews and the glass looks annoyingly blue.

I'm using the Primary Arms M3 clone. I was asking about the micro dot from PA. I watched a bunch of video reviews and the glass looks annoyingly blue.

Idk about the PA micro dot, but my CMore STS (same thing, basically) is very blue. Might be symptomatic of the tiny RDS.

I have the PA micro dot. It does look blue and it is more annoying to me on overcast days for some reason. It's not as bothersome on a nice sunny day. I haven't used it indoors or any low light situations.

I use iron sights on my 10/22s...I shoot 22s fifty feet to 50 yds thats why the ammo comes 550 to a box,plenty of misses.
........You want to hit something forget the optics and shoot a Ancchutz 1907.....,one shot and be done with it.

OK, revitalizing this thread with a twist.

What sights would work best at night, with no lights?

Interested in something for coyote hunting with .22 since that is all that is allowed, and I cannot find BB shot in 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shotgun shells. I tried the fiber (Tru-Glo?) on a BB gun in full moonlight, and they did not light up at all. Anything visible is better than nothing. Just wondering.

Thanks.

I have a bushnell trs25 which I like a lot. Only 1x. For the 70$ it cost with the mount I’m happy. It rides on my primary rifle, but it would suit a 10-22 really well, possibly with no riser depending on the rail you use.

I have a bushnell trs25 which I like a lot. Only 1x. For the 70$ it cost with the mount I’m happy. It rides on my primary rifle, but it would suit a 10-22 really well, possibly with no riser depending on the rail you use.

1) How are they at night?
2) Are these legal for night hunting coyote? (no "artificial lights")
3) Does anybody have the law (chapter and section) for the no hunting with lights at night?
4) Does anybody have the law (chapter and section) for the .22 and shotgun only for coyote at night?

The Browning Buckmark is a great $40 reflex style sight with a choice different reticals. Good for a plinker. If you don't mind spending $149, the Sig Romeo 4 at Primary Arms is a steal

The only true holo is the eotech//bushnell, the rest are red dots. none that you listed are Holos. And the difference when shooing is basically zero if they both are quality

The problem with cheap red dots is they wash out in the bright sun and have parallax issues. But some of the better cheap ones are primaryarms, so take a look at those first.

Don't forget the Vortex Razor UH-1.

Vortex Optics - Razor AMG UH-1

with a .22 I would only attempt head shots.

Yup. I know, right? The other choice is shotgun, but mine is old-time 2 3/4, and I'd have to reload to get BB shot. No buckshot legally in MA.

Well, there is always daytime calling. I want to try that maybe as soon as next week. Need some room to spread out for that, though.

I have both a red dot and 3-9 scope on together. I find that at > 50 seeing a red dot on a black bullseye is very difficult , but then again I am old with crappy eyes. The scope is great for target shooting past 50 for me, at 100 I can't use the red dot at all on a black target, but the red is great for < 50. I also have an under $100 red dot, knockoff of something from asia, and my scope is bushnell. YMMV.

I bought the 10/22 used (like new) for $100. This is not for competition, warfare, or as a big project to spend my time diddling in the shop. I just want something that works in normal type conditions.

Yup. I know, right? The other choice is shotgun, but mine is old-time 2 3/4, and I'd have to reload to get BB shot. No buckshot legally in MA.

Mossberg Maverick 88. Accepts 3" shells, and can be had for less than $200. I still would not want to use a BB load, even if it's lead, for shots beyond 30 yards. For sights at night, I've tried brass bead, red fiber, and green fiber. The green fiber optic sight worked the best in low light. But with no light, nothing works.

re: red dot
That TRS-25 doesn't dim enough in darkness, for my use. And, it filters light without gathering any extra. No go for night use, as far as I'm concerned.

If I was going to go with a non-NV/thermal solution, I would be looking at a scope with a big-assed objective lens, and an illuminated reticle. The scope I was last considering for night hunting was a Vortex Hog Hunter.

I’ve never really used the trs25 at night, but I will say that you are getting a heck of a deal for under $50. Well worth it to see if it works in my opinion. If it doesn’t I’d just find another gun to put it on.

Back
Top Bottom