Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

What is REAL ID and can I use my VA issued ID card in place of it?​

The REAL ID Act is a federal law passed by Congress after Sept. 11, 2001, that establishes specific minimum federal standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and ID cards to be accepted for certain federal purposes, like entering a federal building or boarding a domestic commercial flight. Enforcement of the REAL ID Act begins on October 1, 2020.
And, yes you can use your VA issued ID card in place of it. In fact, there are at least 15 different forms of ID that are accepted by the TSA. Here’s the official list from tsa.gov:

Vets are exempt with a VA ID card.

What is REAL ID and can I use my VA issued ID card in place of it?​

The REAL ID Act is a federal law passed by Congress after Sept. 11, 2001, that establishes specific minimum federal standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and ID cards to be accepted for certain federal purposes, like entering a federal building or boarding a domestic commercial flight. Enforcement of the REAL ID Act begins on October 1, 2020.
And, yes you can use your VA issued ID card in place of it. In fact, there are at least 15 different forms of ID that are accepted by the TSA. Here’s the official list from tsa.gov:

Vets are exempt with a VA ID card.

Is this the same as a driver's license with "Veteran" on it? If not, what is it, and how does one get it?

Effective Oct. 1, 2020, travelers age 18 and older will need a REAL ID driver’s license or a passport to board an airplane for domestic flights. As of the end of September, just over 296,000 New Hampshire state residents have REAL ID-compliant identification documents, according to Elizabeth Bielecki, director of the state Division of Motor Vehicles. If they choose not to opt in, Bielicki said, travelers will need another form of documentation to board a plane or visit secure federal facilities. Other compliant forms of ID include passports, passport cards, military IDs, permanent resident cards and Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
Ready or not, REAL ID is coming
So what🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Not sure who this is, or what it means.

Gaetz apparently got a fake ID that was Real ID compliant. Not sure why he felt he "needed" to get a fake Real ID of himself??

How Matt Gaetz got caught: Shocking texts reveal links to Joel Greenberg and expose request for duplicate IDs
On September 2, 2018, Greenberg texts, "Amy- is there anyway to assist one of our Congressmen in getting an emergency replacement ID or DL by Tuesday 2pm? His was lost yesterday and he’s got a flight Tuesday. Doesn’t have any other form of ID currently on him. Sorry to bother you on Sunday". It is unclear what Amy's first response is, but she follows up with two texts - "real ID compliant" and "who is it and what is his DOB". To that, Greenberg responds, "Yes, Congressman Matt Gaetz." This is followed up with two texts with Gaetz's date of birth and full name.

Is this the same as a driver's license with "Veteran" on it? If not, what is it, and how does one get it?
this is a wicked confusing way to say what they failed to say. a VA ID (for healthcare) cannot be used for shit like the TSA. It can be used as one of several ID's to get a REAL ID, to essentially prove you're X,Y,Z to get the big boy ID.

They are not the same. The veteran just confirms that you are veteran and I use mine for the occasional discount.

The Real ID is an higher level of proof of identification which became necessary because state DMV‘s were giving out driving licenses to illegal immigrants and they were using them as ID.

Information for the Real ID

They are not the same. The veteran just confirms that you are veteran and I use mine for the occasional discount.

The Real ID is an higher level of proof of identification which became necessary because state DMV‘s were giving out driving licenses to illegal immigrants and they were using them as ID.

Information for the Real ID
Real ID is in response to 9-11, it took them 20 years to roll it out, if it isnt delayed again

Yes that was the event that spurred the legislation. The reason it was necessary was because they were no longer a good form of identification.

Bob
Yeah, every state can make its own rules for licenses, so it was a way for the federal government to confirm they meet a specific standard.

Seems like last year a ton of states were giving them to anyone at all

Yeah, every state can make its own rules for licenses, so it was a way for the federal government to confirm they meet a specific standard.

Seems like last year a ton of states were giving them to anyone at all

Plus there are a ton of forgeries out the now.

Border officials intercept more than 5,000 fake IDs that could be used for criminal activity​

TOP STORIES
by: Erica Pettway
Posted: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST / Updated: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST
fake-IDS.png

(WIAT & CNN) Border Officials in Kentucky confiscated more than 5,000 fake ID’s.
Authorities fraudulent documents came from China and were intercepted on their way to New York.
About 2900 of the ID’s were already completed fake driver’s licenses from a variety of states.
More than 3100 of them were blanks that could be finished up later.
Officials say the fake ID’s can be used to commit a number of crimes.
One of the intended recipients is a person with child rape. Authorities believe this person provides minors with fake ID’s in exchange for sex.

Border officials intercept more than 5,000 fake IDs that could be used for criminal activity TOP STORIES by: Erica Pettway Posted: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST / Updated: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST (WIAT & CNN) Border Officials in Kentucky confiscated more than 5,000 fake ID’s. Authorities fraudulent documents came from China and were intercepted on their way to New York. About 2900 of the ID’s were already completed fake driver’s licenses from a variety of states. More than 3100 of them were blanks that could be finished up later. Officials say the fake ID’s can be used to commit a number of crimes. One of the intended recipients is a person with child rape. Authorities believe this person provides minors with fake ID’s in exchange for sex.

Border officials intercept more than 5,000 fake IDs that could be used for criminal activity​

TOP STORIES
by: Erica Pettway
Posted: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST / Updated: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST
fake-IDS.png

(WIAT & CNN) Border Officials in Kentucky confiscated more than 5,000 fake ID’s.
Authorities fraudulent documents came from China and were intercepted on their way to New York.
About 2900 of the ID’s were already completed fake driver’s licenses from a variety of states.
One of the intended recipients is a person with child rape. Authorities believe this person provides minors with fake ID’s in exchange for sex.

Border officials intercept more than 5,000 fake IDs that could be used for criminal activity TOP STORIES by: Erica Pettway Posted: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST / Updated: Nov 28, 2019 / 01:15 PM CST (WIAT & CNN) Border Officials in Kentucky confiscated more than 5,000 fake ID’s. Authorities fraudulent documents came from China and were intercepted on their way to New York. About 2900 of the ID’s were already completed fake driver’s licenses from a variety of states. More than 3100 of them were blanks that could be finished up later. Officials say the fake ID’s can be used to commit a number of crimes. One of the intended recipients is a person with child rape. Authorities believe this person provides minors with fake ID’s in exchange for sex.
Last year there was a ton of articles on finding IDs shipped from china too

"Real ID" has been coming for darn near 20 years. There are so many different options out there, many folks already have them regardless of their state lagging behind. I've got three of the foolish things. DOD Retiree ID card, passport, and now a DL which was zero issue to get with normal paperwork.

Part of what makes "REAL ID" so real is that the barcode and RFID tie to a backend database with the original data from the applicant and their photo, making it much more difficult to pass of fraudulent ID at a government building, TSA, or border and easier for any LEO to validate even an out-of-state ID.

Even if (when) China has access to inject records into the database, they're not going to be risking that capability for every low-bidder buyer of a fake ID.

I'm trying to get the Real ID in MA...

I went into the RMV with all the info, the person told me that they will not accept my SS card because I laminated it...

So I go onto the SS website and do the "I need a new card" request and get an answer back that I can't get a card and have to go to my local SS office...
Well my local office is closed because of The Covid!!!
I make a phone call to SS, then wait on hold for an hour before someone answers...

I told them I need a new card and that the website tells me I can't get one...
The person I'm talking with says "OK no problem, just send this form along with your original Birth Certificate to us...

I said that I wasn't going to send you my original BC because I don't want it to get lost in the mail or at the SS office!!!
She answered back to me "Then you aren't getting a new card"... I asked her if she was just joking and she said "No, you have to send in the original"...

Now I'm not going to send the last copy of my BC that I have so I need to go to my Birth City and get new ones made...
OH YA, can't do that either because the City Clerks Office is CLOSED DUE TO COVID, Aaughhhhhhh!!!

I went into the RMV with all the info, the person told me that they will not accept my SS card because I laminated it...

So I go onto the SS website and do the "I need a new card" request and get an answer back that I can't get a card and have to go to my local SS office...
I make a phone call to SS, then wait on hold for an hour before someone answers...

The person I'm talking with says "OK no problem, just send this form along with your original Birth Certificate to us...

I said that I wasn't going to send you my original BC because I don't want it to get lost in the mail or at the SS office!!!
She answered back to me "Then you aren't getting a new card"... I asked her if she was just joking and she said "No, you have to send in the original"...

Now I'm not going to send the last copy of my BC that I have so I need to go to my Birth City and get new ones made...
OH YA, can't do that either because the City Clerks Office is CLOSED DUE TO COVID, Aaughhhhhhh!!!

This is a list of acceptable documents for Real ID. You can do it without an SS card. I did. If you are on Social Security you have to obtain it in person.

There are a variety of combinations that will work.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/ma-real-id-documents-checklist/download

I did mine at the local AAA office as I’m a member.

Bob

This is a list of acceptable documents for Real ID. You can do it without an SS card. I did. If you are on Social Security you have to obtain it in person.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/ma-real-id-documents-checklist/download

I did mine at the local AAA office as I’m a member.

Bob

Well I'm still screwed by that list (which I have already)...

1st Box = I have is the BC... I'm not sending it through the mail to SS...
2nd Box = does not apply...
3rd Box = That's where the laminated comes in...
4th Box = I've got that box covered...

So Box 1 and Box 3 equals to I'm SCREWED!!!

Last edited:

It is sad how many people are uninformed on this whole process and think that it is more complicated than rocket surgery. States and the feds are bending over backwards to provide information on acceptable documents. They aren't going to deliver it to someone's kitchen table, but it is readily available. I understand it can be frustrating, but attention to detail and preparation for the (insert type of document appointment here) makes this stuff easy.

It isn't just here. I had some luddite on an investing forum tell me he had to mail his current DL and his birth certificate to get a new social security card. I mean wtf.

Well I'm still screwed by that list (which I have already)...

1st Box = all I have is the BC which I'm not sending through the mail...
2nd Box = I don't have any of the items in that box...
3rd Box = That's where the laminated comes in...
4th Box = I've got that box covered...

So Box 1, Box 2 and Box 3 equals to I'm SCREWED!!!

Do it in person.

Box 1 BC is all you need. You are all set.
Box 2 is only if the names don’t match
Box 3 no 1099’s? Look at your tax return for 1099’s.

Bob

Do it in person.

Box 1 BC is all you need. You are all set.
Box 2 is only if the names don’t match
Box 3 no 1099’s? Look at your tax return for 1099’s.

Bob

You are missing my point, I'm trying to get a new SS card because the RMV will not accept mine because it's laminated...

It's box 3 that is screwing me up with the RMV...

Box 1 = I'm all set, I have my BC... I am not mailing it to the SS office to get a new card though...
Box 2 = Does not apply...
Box 3 = Yes I have the 1099 but the RMV is saying the way they read Box 3 is that I also need the SS card...

So like I said, it's Box 1 and Box 3 that is screwing me up...

Last edited:
For me, the 1099 thing would be a poor alternate as none of five 1099s(long story) from three organizations have my full SSN on it. Only last 4.

Box 3 = Yes I have the 1099 but the RMV is saying the way they read Box 3 is that I also need the SS card...

what the heck? Dang government workers.
<---receives a government check.

"OK no problem, just send this form along with your original Birth Certificate to us...

Just send them the copy and SAY it is the original. The clerk won't care.

You are missing my point, I'm trying to get a new SS card because the RMV will not accept mine because it's laminated...

It's box 3 that is screwing me up with the RMV...

Box 1 = I'm all set, I have my BC... I am not mailing it to the SS office to get a new card though...
There is no need to mail anything. If you have your BC you have satisfied the requiremen.

The RMV is wrong. You only need one item from box three.

Bob

We were able to order an original Birth Certificate from the city/towns that we were born in, all via websites. Take a look and see if you can get a duplicate original that way.

When I got my real ID, they also didnt take my normal one, which I thought they were supposed to. I got them both a week apart after moving back to MA

Back
Top Bottom