• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

Was not that long ago in MA your license number was your SSN.
Yup, and they converted everyone's assigned DL number in MA to SSNs without even asking us for them. A senior attorney in US HHS (I think it was called that back in the mid-1970s) told me that MA DOR gave MA RMV all the SSNs. So much for confidentiality of our tax return info!

I got my real ID when I saw a couple of clowns from Beacon Hill on the TV recommending you don't because RealID will open up discrimination against your undocumented neighbors.

Sort of a "oh, they say the boogie man bad? Sign me up!" moment.

told me that MA DOR gave MA RMV all the SSNs.

The State Police and most likely all local computer terminal connected cruisers are linked to the DMV system where your social shows up when they run a check on you. You are required to list your social # periodically when renewing your license. I went round and round with the DMV a few years back and after speaking with a high level DMV person in Boston, was told, "You don't have to submit your SS# to us but then we do not have to issue you a license." It is required on renewals but not for the first license.

The State Police and most likely all local computer terminal connected cruisers are linked to the DMV system where your social shows up when they run a check on you. You are required to list your social # periodically when renewing your license. I went round and round with the DMV a few years back and after speaking with a high level DMV person in Boston, was told, "You don't have to submit your SS# to us but then we do not have to issue you a license." It is required on renewals but not for the first license.
You must have spoken to the same RMV lawyer that I did back in 1992. I lost that battle because I was told exactly that.

Yes, any PD when they run a query it pulls up the SSN.

Meh, who cares.

"You will." [rofl]

"You will" when a cop pulls you over for an unpaid 50 cent library fine that you forgot to pay in the 70s, because everything about your existence will be linked into a fusion center and unitized under one primary key in a database. RealID will be part of the technology that will eventually enable stuff like DNA access to the huge dump you took that morning, etc.

"You will" when you try to get on an airplane or some other conveyance and are forced to show RealID and then next thing you know a guy shows up asking you questions about the thing you posted on the internet that morning.

"You will." [rofl]

-Mike

Can someone be prosecuted for failure to show up for federal jury duty if they refuse to get their papers?
Everyone practice the line "I trust you'll find my papers to be in order".
3e9sd7.jpg

From a practical POV it seems if you do not have the gold star on your DL, it opens the door for a police officer to ask you if you are here in US legally
gjx1b.jpg

I got my real ID when I saw a couple of clowns from Beacon Hill on the TV recommending you don't because RealID will open up discrimination against your undocumented neighbors.

Sort of a "oh, they say the boogie man bad? Sign me up!" moment.

Anyone have any doubts about the RMV screwing this up now?

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] "prevent voter fraud" ... let me know when is the last time anyone asked for ID.

I always point at my name on a book. They dont even know I'm that person. I could easily vote, then come back later when there is another person and point at my name.

ID for voting? What is that?

What's fun is when you hear one of them talking about a bus ride where they get driven around to 4-5 different voting precincts and passed out slips of paper with names on them. And then talk about realid the week later and how it'll stop voter fraud.

Not quite sure if this particular person understands what fraud is.

ColonelKlink_hindenbuerg.jpg

ETA: Note meme is on-topic for an air travel discussion
ETETA: At the library's weekend book sale,
I scored a paperback history on the Luftwaffe's "strategy for defeat".
The cover art has the same eagle as Klink's hat and right breast pocket.
So the book's got that going for it,
which is nice.

When they stopped that, I was offered to create my own license number.

The coolest numbers were taken.

If I had more time I could have chosen one.

At the time I just asked for a random number.

I wish I could have created my own number in hindsight.

When they stopped that, I was offered to create my own license number.

The coolest numbers were taken.

If I had more time I could have chosen one.

At the time I just asked for a random number.

I wish I could have created my own number in hindsight.
I refused to let my alma mater use mine as my student ID number, and bitched and moaned enough they made one up to placate me: 900-00-0100

Then, a couple years later, I was doing grad work at Penn State. It took more bitching and moaning - an argument lasting all day, in fact, such that when they finally relented and took my ID photo, I looked like:
StudentID.jpg
[smile]

They gave me an eight-oh-one number. Turns out, that's what they do for international students (who wouldn't have a SSN). More than once, at the library, say, I'd show my ID and be asked, "What country are you from?"
"Connecticut," I'd answer. [laugh]

I refused to let my alma mater use mine as my student ID number, and bitched and moaned enough they made one up to placate me: 900-00-0100

Then, a couple years later, I was doing grad work at Penn State. It took more bitching and moaning - an argument lasting all day, in fact, such that when they finally relented and took my ID photo, I looked like:

They gave me an eight-oh-one number. Turns out, that's what they do for international students (who wouldn't have a SSN). More than once, at the library, say, I'd show my ID and be asked, "What country are you from?"
"Connecticut," I'd answer. [laugh]

Feisty. Your zeal is truly laudable...

"way back when" (1980) it was possible to get a non-SS MA DL# just by asking for it. When I came back to the DPRM in 87 after a 4 year absence and not having a MA DL during that time, they used the same number.

"way back when" (1980) it was possible to get a non-SS MA DL# just by asking for it. When I came back to the DPRM in 87 after a 4 year absence and not having a MA DL during that time, they used the same number.

Was still true in '99 when I moved to Mass. Your DL# was your SSN by default, but you could ask for a non-SSN "S" number.

I had to go twice for mine because one of my forms of paperwork was dated in page 2, so I was issued the normal ID. Went back a week later and got the real ID but they didn't charge me the difference. That was over 2 years ago though

I just paid the extra few bucks to get a "Passport card" when I renewed. Might come in handy if I ever again need to fly or visit the Federal Reserve.

Back
Top Bottom