• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

This is why I keep a passport.

Uggh! We never leave the country, and I don't have $110 to throw away, so I just paid the $3 to upgrade my driver's license. Plus, it's bad enough having to carry one ID, but at least it fits every pocket without something bigger like a passport. Just my .02

Do I need to pass the eye exam now? I was going to renew online, sounds like I will have to go to the DMV for a “real ID”
Not in NH at least. Did the paperwork and got a new photo, but since I wasn't renewing no eye exam needed.

Can someone be prosecuted for failure to show up for federal jury duty if they refuse to get their papers?

Everyone practice the line "I trust you'll find my papers to be in order".
Well...

1. You cant be forced to get a passport.
2. Real ID is not mandatory to get when renewing a license (yet).

So, since neither is mandatory, I doubt they can prosecute.

It would be an interesting case.

I think the right way of doing it would be to show up to the building, be denied entry, then have someone acknowledge you were there. Maybe get some sort of release paper (if that is even possible) because they wont allow you IN with your government issued ID.

I don’t see what the big deal is

SATAN!!!!!! Get thee behind us, blasphemer!!!! ;)

Who remembers this line, “Show ze papers, old man.” It was from a comedy album.....

No. But I recall a VERY old joke about a German POW camp where they are torturing prisoners to get Allied information. Gen Von Brammersham has a very effective method - he has a grandfather clock and the prisoners must make the sounds of the clock. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

All of the prisoners, seeing how silly this is but wanting to make him think that he's being effective, keep saying tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

But one guy just says TICK. TICK. TICK.

Days go by. Tick Tick Tick. Nothing more.

After 5 days, Gen Von Brammersham comes in and smacks him with his riding crop. "You insolent American. Vee have vays of makingk you Tock!"

It wasn't a good joke.

I guess I'm in the column of those that thinks this is no big deal. Regarding your State DL, it requires you to prove where you live, your phys addy, and with your Birth Certificate, prove you are a US citizen. From a practical POV it seems if you do not have the gold star on your DL, it opens the door for a police officer to ask you if you are here in US legally (if you're a citizen), the one exception being if you're here legally and have a green card. That's a area I am not familiar with simply because I'm not gonna waste my time searching out the particulars. From what I understand any DL renewal after 2020 will be mandatory Real ID complaint. Basically I'd guess if you do not have the gold star, you're saying you're not here legally, as far as the DL goes. If ya get pulled over now, as everyone knows you've gotta show proof through your DL that you can operate a MV on the roads....so it's no big deal (to me). If you think about it, this might stop one hell of a lot of voter fraud, preventing illegals from voting. Kind of a back door "Motor / Voter" law thing...Not really a bad thing.

The big deal is that it's a de-facto national ID card, which is one step closer to a "papers please" police state.
We've crossed that bridge already. Want to buy Sudafed? Papers please! Want to buy a pack of smokes or booze? They can request your papers or send you on your way empty handed. Ammo? Papers please! Get into numerous office building and .gov buildings? Papers please! The list goes on...

My Question is:

How long until every person, in every state is required to have a Real ID and standard ID's are no longer issued...?
2021? 25? 30?

Another question:

Can you have a standard driver's license AND a Real ID card?
The Real ID would be a second form of ID.

This is exactly why DLs and SS should not exist and why I rant about it all the time. The only real purpose of creating ID systems is to expand government surveillance and place limitations on you using that ID later.

I'm ok with passports being issued if they were constitutionally limited to use for travelling outside the US and for voter ID. And in those very restrictive cases the passport would be free, not fee based.

I went to the AAA office in N. Andover a couple of weeks ago. Had the pre-filled out application to replace my regular license that expires in 2023 all filled out. Brought my birth cert, my W-2 tax form in place of a SS card, a utility bill and real estate tax bill. Paid $25 ($50 if you're renewing), and was out the door in less than 15 minutes. No lines, no wait. I didn't need my DD-214 form because I already had "Veteran" stamped on my old license but I'd bring it anyway if you want that done.

I guess I'm in the column of those that thinks this is no big deal. Regarding your State DL, it requires you to prove where you live, your phys addy, and with your Birth Certificate, prove you are a US citizen. From a practical POV it seems if you do not have the gold star on your DL, it opens the door for a police officer to ask you if you are here in US legally (if you're a citizen), the one exception being if you're here legally and have a green card. That's a area I am not familiar with simply because I'm not gonna waste my time searching out the particulars. From what I understand any DL renewal after 2020 will be mandatory Real ID complaint. Basically I'd guess if you do not have the gold star, you're saying you're not here legally, as far as the DL goes. If ya get pulled over now, as everyone knows you've gotta show proof through your DL that you can operate a MV on the roads....so it's no big deal (to me). If you think about it, this might stop one hell of a lot of voter fraud, preventing illegals from voting. Kind of a back door "Motor / Voter" law thing...Not really a bad thing.
[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] "prevent voter fraud" ... let me know when is the last time anyone asked for ID.

I always point at my name on a book. They dont even know I'm that person. I could easily vote, then come back later when there is another person and point at my name.

ID for voting? What is that?

Forget coming back for another person. They can barely figure it all out. Just come back in a different jacket and hat. If challenged, they can't even ASK for ID. Think on that for a minute. Especially on the Presidential cycle, the place is so busy as to take their memory of people to zero.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] "prevent voter fraud" ... let me know when is the last time anyone asked for ID.

I always point at my name on a book. They dont even know I'm that person. I could easily vote, then come back later when there is another person and point at my name.

My town actually checks licenses. If you are new, they require a utility bill with a photo ID that matches name on utility bill

My driver's license was examined by three people and my name was checked off on the voter's roll when I voted in the last election. But this is Georgia. And yes, I'm quite serious. I had the impression from the badges they were wearing that one person was a voting official, the two others each represented their parties, (Dem and Repub).

My driver's license was examined by three people and my name was checked off on the voter's roll when I voted in the last election. But this is Georgia. And yes, I'm quite serious. I had the impression from the badges they were wearing that one person was a voting official, the two others each represented their parties, (Dem and Repub).
That doesnt happen up here.

Forget coming back for another person. They can barely figure it all out. Just come back in a different jacket and hat. If challenged, they can't even ASK for ID. Think on that for a minute. Especially on the Presidential cycle, the place is so busy as to take their memory of people to zero.
And I have an accent. I could make it a little stronger and play the race card if questioned. #Winning.

We've crossed that bridge already. Want to buy Sudafed? Papers please! Want to buy a pack of smokes or booze? They can request your papers or send you on your way empty handed. Ammo? Papers please! Get into numerous office building and .gov buildings? Papers please! The list goes on...

But we're already in papers please police state.

You're not wrong.

That doesn't make this bullshit right. Why make it easier? Why help with the machinery?

"Real ID" is just one step closer to, "everyone has one anyway, so we might as well demand it of everyone, including passengers in cars, and anyone going to the movies, and people riding a bus, and people who look funny who are talking in the park..."

You're not wrong.

That doesn't make this bullshit right. Why make it easier? Why help with the machinery?

"Real ID" is just one step closer to, "everyone has one anyway, so we might as well demand it of everyone, including passengers in cars, and anyone going to the movies, and people riding a bus, and people who look funny who are talking in the park..."

It's probably way to late. Until things like public facial recognition is banned the ship has sailed and in a few more years it's never coming back. Peoples faces will be like the white pages, and AI will easily be able to tell us apart.

Sadly being afraid of the repercussions of a federally controlled ID issued at the state level is quaint for a lack of a better word.

I suspect by the time I retire with my bf we wont even need to carry ID. Our faces are enough. Not good. But I don't see it being another way.

It's not like this stuff would be used to round up undesirables, put them in camps and use them as sex slaves, instant organ donors and other misc pet projects. ...wait a second..

I'm waiting till they require a DNA sample for your Real ID...

8smth4cvqm.jpg

I prepaid for the motorcycle endorsement before I took the class ($15). When I brought my cert in to get the endorsement, I brought the papers required for real id and my new license came as a real id no extra cost. But the class cost like $300 so I guess I didn't really save anything...

Back
Top Bottom