• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RCBS Pro Chucker??

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm contemplating getting a progressive press this year. While I know plenty of people "go blue" and all that, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind going green. ;)

Looking to hear from people with either the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 or 7 press. Or if you had one and went to something else. Especially interested in newer purchases (over the past year or two) since I know that things change from year to year in production.

For reference I have a Lyman TMag 2 press that my father bought sometime between the mid 80's to early 90's. While it works, and I have multiple turrets for it, I'd like to be able to produce more rounds per hour. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Lyman or sell it either before or after I get the progressive. I'm more inclined to keep it for lower round count production items. Or keep it around until I have the new press setup for all the calibers I'll be reloading.
Right now that's:
45 ACP
300 Blackout
308 Winchester
I'm thinking about adding 357 Magnum to that (especially if I pick up a lever action in that caliber).
Part of what sucks is that I won't be able to use the powder measures I have in the current turrets with the progressive.

I don’t know if I can help you with your answer as I’m looking to get back into reloading brass and shotshells again. One consideration I would have for you, if you have the space, is to keep your existing press for those one-off times that you need a separate caliber reloaded. That way you can leave the progressive loader configured for your primary round.

Also, the reloading subforum here is a great place for research and getting knowledgeable feedback.

yep go blue . i have a rcbs rock chucker my first and 2 dillon 550's . one for large primers and one for small . changing out calibers is literally a minute w/o changing primer size . each caliber has it's own toolhead with powder measure so no mix ups or recalibration .

Yep, Blue ;-)

Get yourself a Dillon 550 be done with it.

yep go blue . i have a rcbs rock chucker my first and 2 dillon 550's . one for large primers and one for small . changing out calibers is literally a minute w/o changing primer size . each caliber has it's own toolhead with powder measure so no mix ups or recalibration .

I’ve been leaning blue, but it seems like they nickel and dime you with each part as well. Is that correct or am I looking at this incorrectly? I plan on loading 9mm, .380ACP, and 40S&W for now. I may expand to .45ACP and .223 at some point down the line, though not guaranteed. I have experience with the first 4, but am not familiar with loading .223.

I’ve been leaning blue, but it seems like they nickel and dime you with each part as well. Is that correct or am I looking at this incorrectly? I plan on loading 9mm, .380ACP, and 40S&W for now. I may expand to .45ACP and .223 at some point down the line, though not guaranteed. I have experience with the first 4, but am not familiar with loading .223.

I don't know about nickel and dime...but Dillon stuff isn't cheap ($$$). Do you already own dies for some of those calibers...keep using them with the Dillon. I'm a pistol guy but I like knowing that when it's time to do 223, I'm still good to go with the 550. Since the 550 is manually indexed it's an easy transition from what you're used to...nothing is happening "auto-magically".

I don’t know if I can help you with your answer as I’m looking to get back into reloading brass and shotshells again. One consideration I would have for you, if you have the space, is to keep your existing press for those one-off times that you need a separate caliber reloaded. That way you can leave the progressive loader configured for your primary round.

Also, the reloading subforum here is a great place for research and getting knowledgeable feedback.
I plan to have most of the calibers I reload setup on the progressive as soon as possible. Going for 45 ACP first, then 223, then 300 Blackout, adding 357 Magnum once I shoot that often enough to make it worth doing. I might leave the turret press setup for 308 Winchester, but that's not set in brass yet. ;)

Yep, Blue ;-)

Get yourself a Dillon 550 be done with it.
Pass on the 550... IF I go blue it would be a 650 setup which is only has 5 die spots (like the Pro Chucker 5).

I'm about to order one of the projectile dies and try it out in my current press (for 45 ACP). Since I have six die spots in each turret, it's not an issue. Which is also why I'm considering the Chucker 7. The die might tide me over for a bit longer since it should make reloading a bit faster/easier.

I already sized and primed almost [45 ACP] 500 cases earlier today. I plan to go down to the basement later (where it's all setup) and set the charge for them. I'm working on the recipe right now, so I won't be loading all that much. At least until I get to the range (hopefully next weekend) to see how the pistols that consume these rounds like them.

Have you considered a turret? I started with a single stage then moved to a lee turret. Not as fast as progressive but very convenient switching calibers. Can leave each turret setup per caliber and also have a bunch of preset powder drops. I like it. Not interested in progressive

bottle neck riffle versus straight wall pistol very different.
yes you can use same press, but better to have multiple presses if you can.
red, green or blue depending on what works and what gives you best bang for the buck

Have you considered a turret? I started with a single stage then moved to a lee turret. Not as fast as progressive but very convenient switching calibers. Can leave each turret setup per caliber and also have a bunch of preset powder drops. I like it. Not interested in progressive
Dafuq??? Did you not see my opening post??? Or did you just not really read it?? Seriously, I put in there what I currently have for a press. Google it and you will see...

@powerman I don't have space to have one press per caliber or even one pistol and one rifle. I really don't have the space to leave my current one setup if I end up getting the progressive. Maybe when I get my next place (plan to buy instead of renting) I'll have the space. Also, the point of having the newer presses (hell even the several turrets I have for my current one) is so that you can switch between calibers without major efforts. IF I keep my current press, I'll need to do some pretty hefty rearranging of the reloading area to keep it. Or it will be taken down when not in use and then setup again when I want to use it. Which will probably be it's death knell.

Dafuq??? Did you not see my opening post??? Or did you just not really read it?? Seriously, I put in there what I currently have for a press. Google it and you will see...

@powerman I don't have space to have one press per caliber or even one pistol and one rifle. I really don't have the space to leave my current one setup if I end up getting the progressive. Maybe when I get my next place (plan to buy instead of renting) I'll have the space. Also, the point of having the newer presses (hell even the several turrets I have for my current one) is so that you can switch between calibers without major efforts. IF I keep my current press, I'll need to do some pretty hefty rearranging of the reloading area to keep it. Or it will be taken down when not in use and then setup again when I want to use it. Which will probably be it's death knell.
yep, read it, never heard of a tmag or prochucker but I guess they're turrets...anyway carry on and have a nice day. not googling your shit so ignore my post, wtf

Back
Top Bottom