Rant: 3 weeks and nothing

Well, I'm making progress too. I called up the Bolton PD and asked for the Chief. The dispatcher tried the old 'the state is slow' song and dance. But when I told her I'd actually talked to the state and they'd said it wasn't them, she put me through to the Chief's voice mail. He called me back a few hours later and apologized for dropping the ball and said the background check had actually already come back from the state and everything was a-ok. He just wanted me to come in and talk to him for a few minutes before he sent it back to the state to get issued. So I've got an appointment with him tomorrow morning at 10am.

My thread is really long. Damn.
I'm regretting the title of this thread cause now it makes me seem like a whiny little girl.
It actually was over 3 months but hearing other people's situations, it doesn't seem that bad.

Don't be apologetic; the licensing procedure in this state is a disgrace. You SHOULD be complaining. But you should be complaining to your state Rep and Senator and pressuring them to do something to make this a "shall-issue" state.

Now why would he want to talk to you before having the State issue it?

His exact words were, "so that I can formally introduce myself, and show you some of the services we offer. Ten minutes, tops." So I think he just wants to eyeball anybody who applies. It's another hoop to jump through, but I don't actually mind this one. I'm happy to have the Chief know who I am. I just wish we could have done it six weeks ago.

His exact words were, "so that I can formally introduce myself, and show you some of the services we offer. Ten minutes, tops." So I think he just wants to eyeball anybody who applies. It's another hoop to jump through, but I don't actually mind this one. I'm happy to have the Chief know who I am. I just wish we could have done it six weeks ago.

As long as he isn't going to try to strongarm you.

As long as he isn't going to try to strongarm you.

Well, now that I've met with him, I can honestly say he wasn't trying to strongarm me. He had me in there for 40 minutes. The first 5 minutes was asking me who I was, the next 30 minutes was him talking about how great the gun hobby is, which neat guns I should buy, what brand of gun safe he likes, why I should get my wife in to apply for a pepper spray permit, etc. The last 5 minutes was him trying to convince me to vote YES on a new police station this November.

I think he really genuinely was using the interview to let me know that he's there as a resource. He even said to give him a call if I wanted help with training, or having trouble deciding on a gun purchase, or picking good ammo. So clearly very pro gun ownership, but apparently he just never gets around to processing new LTC apps until you bug him about it.

Well it is 4 weeks and nothing new about my LTC in Cambridge.

I called CHSB and they have not received my completed application yet although it is in the system. The Cambridge PD tells me that it is somewhere in the pipeline although not clear exactly at which step the bottle neck is. They promised to call me when they figure out what is going on (not holding my breath, but still appreciated the effort to appear caring).

The officer/clerk that deals with LTC tried to explain the procedure but I got lost the details.

From what I understand, once the application is completed, fingerprints taken, etc, etc, the supervisor has to do something (i did not understand what) then it goes for background check and possibly DMH check. Then the supervisor has to approve it (or do something supervisory) . Then it goes to CHSB

So I am somewhere between submitting the application and the application being submitted to CHSB.

My concern is whether I could start making phone calls to GOAL (of which I am a member) and my representatives now, or whether I should give the PD another week for good measure before I start harassing the them? So far i have been very nice and patient with the PD.

AIG

i just got a call back from my PD. The lady was very nice and apologetic, and told me that my license has been approved today by the Chief (restricted to sport/target shooting) and is on its way to CHSB.

I should have it by next week.

Hats off to Cambridge PD for keeping their word for checking into my inquiry. Now if it were only unrestricted..........

AIG

Back
Top Bottom