Rant: 3 weeks and nothing

I submitted my LTC application 3 weeks ago:
I asked about getting fingerprinted but they said they didn't need it until approved.

3 weeks and no word.

I read that MA law requires fingerprints and application be submitted to the state police for a background check within 7 days...and the application to be processed and rejected/approved within 40

oh well. More waiting for me.

Rumor has it that the state office that processes these things is backed up with applications, and is running very late. It's likely that the local police department has done their thing, but the state is taking it's time doing theirs. Be patient.

UMMMMM ...you need to talk to someone..Lawyers on here...i believe that they can't process the app. with out finger prints!!!!!

I know they took my index Right hand in April ...told me 7-10 weeks check back in with us!

who did you hear this from ..let me guess local PD..
For years they local blame it on the state..& state will blame it on Local....yet i know of a few cases where it was sitting on the Chiefs desk ....just sitting there.......[thinking]

Rumor has it that the state office that processes these things is backed up with applications, and is running very late. It's likely that the local police department has done their thing, but the state is taking it's time doing theirs. Be patient.

who did you hear this from ..let me guess local PD..
For years they local blame it on the state..& state will blame it on Local....yet i know of a few cases where it was sitting on the Chiefs desk ....just sitting there.......[thinking]

yeah, happened to me that way...local pd was sure that "the state was taking forever" and according to the state the local PD just hadn't done anything with it, 3 months to do 2 weeks worth of work. [angry]

I feel you pain! Try giving your PD a polite call inquiring about it, when I called mine it took him 10 minutes looking through piles of papers to find mine, so I'm assuming there were a lot of them. But I'm now supposedly "at the top of the list" haha

I submitted my LTC application 3 weeks ago:
I asked about getting fingerprinted but they said they didn't need it until approved.

3 weeks and no word.

Renewals don't require fingerprints, although many departments take them anyway.

New applications MUST have them; hence the 7-day requirement for their submission.

Last edited:
My last renewal took prints. Now I hear they just scan one finger.

I'll find out very shortly, I guess. It's that time again.

I'm missing the end of my right index finger. They insisted on printing me anyway. They wouldn't let me use my left index finger. The "fingerprint" is just a smear on the paper, over which someone printed "AMPUTATED".

Did my renewal last summer, and they scanned my right index finger. Took a digital photo too. Technology does have it's advantages. Just wish I'd known before I had paid to have my photo done for the renewal.

Renewals don't require fingerprints, although many departments take them anywhere.

New applications MUST have them; hence the 7-day requirement for their submission.
its not a renewal...which is why i'm concerned
when i called them to inquire about the fingerprinting, one person actually told me the woman who does the fingerprinting is injured and will be out for several weeks and wouldn't be able to do it.

Only 1 person at the PD can fingerprint? ?

I left a VM yesterday morning for the person who supposedly deals with this. No callback yet.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're getting the ol' run-around Underwhere. Based on my past experience with your local PD, I'm not surprised.

when i called them to inquire about the fingerprinting, one person actually told me the woman who does the fingerprinting is injured and will be out for several weeks and wouldn't be able to do it.

Only 1 person at the PD can fingerprint? ?

I left a VM yesterday morning for the person who supposedly deals with this. No callback yet.

What town is so inadequate, only one person in the entire PD can do prints?

AH i am with everyone else i was under the impression that finger printing and photos were needed before they sent the Application to the state level.
also in the Town of Douglas there is only one officer that handles all FID and LTC related matters, But of course Douglas is a small town with no traffic lights except a blinking yellow light near our schools.

I have to do the regular finger printing of all my fingers and thumbs. thumps actually twice and then a palm print all with the old standard ink and paper. Then i had to digitally have my index fingers scanned into a computer a few times to get it perfect and had a digital photo taken.

All that was done on April 6th i handed the app in a few days after i turned 21 on March 22.

From what I've seen generall the state gets its part of the deal done faster than the PD, but then it can sit in limbo in a stack somewhere for a month. I applied for my LTC in the middle of July, it was approved and the card generated the first week of August, but I did not receive it until September!

I live in a pretty gun friendly town where everyone who applies gets ALP and the issuing officer will try to talk you up to a LTC if you go in looking for an FID. That being said it takes them 8-10 weeks to process a new application, and they refuse to notify you when it is in, instead they tell you to start calling in eight weeks or so to check. Now to further complicate thing when the LTC's come back from the state they get placed in a pile in the dispatch area and when you call the dispatcher checks the stack to see if yours is in. I however have it on very good authority (a friend who works there) that often if the dispatchers are in a mood (which is apparently often) they will "put you on hold to check" and never get off their fat asses and look, then after an appropriate search time pick the line back up and say "no it's not here yet check back in a few." So my point I guess is that even though the process is sometimes longer than it needs to be it is not necessarily an indication of what the end result will be.

I got more of the story today:
Someone who typically does the application processing is transitioning to a new role and has yet to train the person who is taking over. That person is out on leave so nothing will happen until they get back. Oh well.

Hi guys. Just joined. Saw this thread. My application in Lexington has now been pending with no action for 5 weeks. Seem story! All is on hold. Feel free to contact me if any of you know something new.

My renewal has been there for a few weeks as well. I stopped by the PD early this week and a woman came out to explain- she's been busy as heck and hasn't got to them yet. She seemed sincere and I'm not too concerned. That's why it's a good idea to do them early.

Hi guys. Just joined. Saw this thread. My application in Lexington has now been pending with no action for 5 weeks. Seem story! All is on hold. Feel free to contact me if any of you know something new.

I'll bump this thread if I hear anything but it sounds like I won't be for a while.
That's too bad. I wanted to start USPSA this summer.

My LTC renewal application has been with the Lexington PD for 6 or 7 weeks now. I have been told that all applications are on hold due to staffing problems as well.

Just curious on the law: I thought that under the law the PD is supposed to respond to an application within 30 days? Is this true or how long can they do nothing? If it is true that an application is to be processed within 30 days is the PD then not breaking the law?

Frankly I am not happy that a wealthy town like Lexington acts like this and may cause me to be unable to comply with the law. How long should I wait? Since I dropped my application off in person I don't even have proof that I have a pending application. When is it time for an attorney to protect myself?
Thanks for any insight or suggestions. My LTC is expiring in about 3 weeks. Just for the record, their is no reason for them to deny my license due to any prior history!

Back
Top Bottom