Rant: 3 weeks and nothing

My LTC renewal application has been with the Lexington PD for 6 or 7 weeks now. I have been told that all applications are on hold due to staffing problems as well.

Just curious on the law: I thought that under the law the PD is supposed to respond to an application within 30 days? Is this true or how long can they do nothing? If it is true that an application is to be processed within 30 days is the PD then not breaking the law?

Frankly I am not happy that a wealthy town like Lexington acts like this and may cause me to be unable to comply with the law. How long should I wait? Since I dropped my application off in person I don't even have proof that I have a pending application. When is it time for an attorney to protect myself?
Thanks for any insight or suggestions. My LTC is expiring in about 3 weeks. Just for the record, their is no reason for them to deny my license due to any prior history!

Did they fingerprint you or not?
I never was and I have been waiting for almost the same time.

I think the law says that they have 7 days to submit it to the state police and then something like 30-40 days to give you an answer.

Legally they have 40 days to issue or deny, HOWEVER there is no penalty for exceeding that time-frame. Bottom line, they can break the law and get away with it (unlike us). You can "lawyer up" but doing so can be costly, may not speed up the process, and under "suitability" they can take out revenge on you.

It's fairly normal for PDs to take up to 3 months. It's not a high priority to the PDs and takes considerable time on their part. In fairness, they are also pissed that $75 of your $100 goes to the State and the $25 that the towns get to keep (avg 70% goes to the schools not the PD) really doesn't cover the time cost that the PD has to put in to process an application.

I was talking with my chief ~1 week ago and he told me that they interviewed 15 people that day (same day as Town Meeting, so he was already busy with preparation to justify his budget and one Lt was off at training all week) and they were booking interview appointments now with a 2 month wait just for the interview!

Fingerprints: A full set was taken on your first post-98 application. Theoretically you shouldn't need to give another full set of prints again for your LTC forever (until they revoke "forever" like they did "lifetime FIDs"). I have no experience with the new MIRCS system (damn it) but I think they only need to take one print (index finger) for the new LTCs each subsequent renewal.

When you give them your application (assuming they ask for it in paper, as our PD just did for my Wife's renewal), they "may" (I am unsure due to MIRCS) be able to process the background and print check (CHSB pulls your print card out of a hard-copy file and re-scans it for the checks) in advance of your interview appointment. We'll see! I don't really expect that my Wife will get her new LTC until at least a month after her B'day (August).

Nope, we didn't get any receipt either. I had to drop it off with the Dispatcher since the Secretary (who books appointments) was busy. She did call my Wife the following day and gave her an appointment for mid-July. I did talk with Jim Wallace and currently there is NO LAW that requires the PD to issue any receipts for LTC applications, so all you can do is ask (beg) and they have no obligation to please you (so that the 90 day grace period might be useful).

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, my LTC is a renewal application and I was told when I dropped it off that I would be called for fingerprints. No time frame has been given and I was never called in. So now that I understand that they are in no legal obligation to do anything, what is my legal status after my LTC expires and what is it after the 90 period after expiration? Can I still legally have my guns or not? Should I pack them up and give them to them?
It is frustrating as hell to be a almost 20 year resident in a town and this is the treatment you get.

How did you pay for your renewal? Check? You have the canceled check.. Cash ? and they didn't give you a receipt???... [hmmm] I got one from Worc. PD(receipt ..payed with cash)on 4/17... has only been 4 weeks..and mine expired 5/11..don't care because i have 90 days due to the renewal already being in[thinking] ....

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, my LTC is a renewal application and I was told when I dropped it off that I would be called for fingerprints. No time frame has been given and I was never called in. So now that I understand that they are in no legal obligation to do anything, what is my legal status after my LTC expires and what is it after the 90 period after expiration? Can I still legally have my guns or not? Should I pack them up and give them to them?
It is frustrating as hell to be a almost 20 year resident in a town and this is the treatment you get.

I believe you can file for appeal to State Board...call GOAL and check with them.

I submitted a check with my renewal application but since they are not processing any applications the check has also not been cashed. Strange, but this may be one of the few times I wish they would have cashed my check!

Since the town told you that they put everyone on "hold", it's time to contact GOAL and an attorney. [This assumes that you are a member of GOAL. If you aren't, don't bother calling them for help.]

Without a receipt, your status is very tenuous. Checks are no proof of anything. Many towns don't even deposit our checks for months.

If you turn in your guns to the PD, never expect to get them back or if so, they will be all rusted, dinged and junk. The PD can (and many do) turn them into bonded warehouses which will charge you more than the value of the gun in a month or two.

Worst case, give them to a trusted friend with a valid LTC and let them hold them until you finally get your LTC back.

I believe you can file for appeal to State Board...call GOAL and check with them.

Nonsense. As has been posted here before, appeal of a denial/revocation/suspension is to the District Court; not some unspecified "State Board."

Exactly as stated in the licensing statute, amazingly enough.

It would be great if they had a tracking number for your license. Go to SP website and put your info and get a delivery date. Oh if only it were true. I am only on week one and I'm going nuts...you guys must be pulling your hair out.

Ask politely if you don't hear in a couple of months - I know someone whose FID Card appeared to be taking too long and checked with the PD. It had been erroneously filed as "already issued." The PD found the error, and had the card from the state 3 days later. This was in a very green town, and I am absolutely confidend the misfiling was indeed an accident - one that the PD was very good about correcting quickly.

Thanks to everyone: Some of you are missing the point her however. We have a situation where a town of Lexington police department now for two months REFUSES TO PROCESS ANY APPLICATIONS. This is the case for new as well as renewals.

Now I understand that once you have filed an application in addition to the expiration date one has a 90 day grace period. Let's assume that they continue to not process any application and the grace period expires as well. What does that mean to someone owning firearms and wanting to comply with all applicable laws? Does it mean you have to give up your guns? Does it mean you have to store them with a friend? Does it mean the BATF will come knocking on your door?

For what it is worth, I just mailed my membership application to GOAL.

IF your town is fair and honest. If, however, you are dealing with a PD that lies to applicants, as a certain mid-state city was caught doing, by blaming the delay on the state, such inquiries will get you nowhere.

A call to CHSB will at least let you know if the app was actually filed.

As for towns that simply refuse to process apps: File the app and then file an appeal of the constructive denial before the expiration of the grace period. The filing of the appeal tolls the expiration.

Note that the app must be filed BEFORE the existing license lapses and the appeal must be filed BEFORE the grace period expires.

Last edited:
I"m so glad I lived in a green town when I applied for my LTC. It took less than 48 hours to get an appointment. I was asked 3 questions...
Is your application filled out and signed?
Do you have a check for $100 made out to _____?
The camera isn't working do you mind coming back tomorrow for the picture; we'll take care of everything else today?

Apparently "yes" was the correct answer to all 3 questions because 3 weeks later I got the call and the card says "All Lawful Purposes"

Perhaps there are varing shades of green?

Just curious, has the Lexington PD started to process applications again? Anybody received an LTC lately from them?

Happy shooting!

Just curious, has the Lexington PD started to process applications again? Anybody received an LTC lately from them?

Happy shooting!

I got a call on Monday and I believe they are beginning to process applications again.

Sureshot, did you get a call?

There is an open date for fingerprinting on June 16th. First come first serve.

I applied on April 11th so it's been roughly 7 weeks.

Last edited:
After almost 10 weeks, I had my fingerprints taken this week for my LTC renewal at the Lexington PD. Good to see they are finally processing applications again.

Was told that my license will be mailed to me when done. I forgot to ask them however how long that will take. Anybody know how long it takes in Lexington?

I truly hope that at some point we will have a more efficient system here in MA! My NH license took not even two weeks!

After almost 10 weeks, I had my fingerprints taken this week for my LTC renewal at the Lexington PD. Good to see they are finally processing applications again.

Was told that my license will be mailed to me when done. I forgot to ask them however how long that will take. Anybody know how long it takes in Lexington?

I truly hope that at some point we will have a more efficient system here in MA! My NH license took not even two weeks!

Did they call you or did you just show up?

Someone called and told me to expect a call about the fingerprinting OR to just show up this saturday for an open fingerprinting day.

I called and they said we can do it now if you can get here within the next hour. I said I will be right down!

Forgot to ask how long it takes to get it however.

I was talking with my chief ~1 week ago and he told me that they interviewed 15 people that day (same day as Town Meeting, so he was already busy with preparation to justify his budget and one Lt was off at training all week) and they were booking interview appointments now with a 2 month wait just for the interview!

. . .

When you give them your application (assuming they ask for it in paper, as our PD just did for my Wife's renewal), they "may" (I am unsure due to MIRCS) be able to process the background and print check (CHSB pulls your print card out of a hard-copy file and re-scans it for the checks) in advance of your interview appointment. We'll see! I don't really expect that my Wife will get her new LTC until at least a month after her B'day (August).

A quick update as I gotta get back to work here . . .

My Wife had her "interview" today. Paperwork and check were filed 5/15/07 as noted in the above (I posted that on 5/17).

The Secretary had typed into MIRCS ALL the info from the handwritten (old) form IN ADVANCE, so she asked my Wife no questions, just printed out a copy in that microscopic font and asked her to sign it. She checked the data for correctness vis-a-vis the handwritten form before signing it. Took the picture and 3 copies of her index finger scanned on the computer. The chief is on vacation so the Lt. is the only one doing the applications today. He's a real good guy that I've known since he went on the PD. Asked her "any changes" wrt info he had on the computer (that she's now held a LTC for >29 years) and if I didn't shoot the bull with him on some other LE topics for ~5 minutes we would have been out of there in ~10 minutes total.

The Secretary confirmed that she had run a BOP and Mental Health checks when she got the paperwork from us and the Lt. said she should receive the LTC within ~2 weeks. There were 5 other people besides my Wife being processed for LTCs while we were there and I've known 3 of them for a very long time.

Well if she gets her LTC-A/None within a couple of weeks, I'd say that the new MIRCS system is pretty decent in spite of the wait for an appointment.

Last edited:
A quick update as I gotta get back to work here . . .

My Wife had her "interview" today. Paperwork and check were filed 5/15/07 as noted in the above (I posted that on 5/17).

The Secretary had typed into MIRCS ALL the info from the handwritten (old) form IN ADVANCE, so she asked my Wife no questions, just printed out a copy in that microscopic font and asked her to sign it. She checked the data for correctness vis-a-vis the handwritten form before signing it. Took the picture and 3 copies of her index finger scanned on the computer. The chief is on vacation so the Lt. is the only one doing the applications today. He's a real good guy that I've known since he went on the PD. Asked her "any changes" wrt info he had on the computer (that she's now held a LTC for >29 years) and if I didn't shoot the bull with him on some other LE topics for ~5 minutes we would have been out of there in ~10 minutes total.

The Secretary confirmed that she had run a BOP and Mental Health checks when she got the paperwork from us and the Lt. said she should receive the LTC within ~2 weeks. There were 5 other people besides my Wife being processed for LTCs while we were there and I've known 3 of them for a very long time.

Well if she gets her LTC-A/None within a couple of weeks, I'd say that the new MIRCS system is pretty decent in spite of the wait for an appointment.

Seems pretty quick and easy.
That's good.

As of tomorrow it'll be 3 months for me. But I'm confident it'll arrive soon. Maybe.

Received my LTC thirty-one days from submission - and that's in a town that batch-files at the end of the month.

Heck, it took so little time that it won't even be valid for another 6 weeks! I have to put it in a drawer.

In short, CHSB is right on top of things and the only possible state delay is at DMH - and then only if the chief requests a check. Remember that the next time some dissembling dispatcher or other BS artist tells you "The state is all backed up."

Last edited:
Still waiting...
I spoke to EOPS and they said the my PD should have the LTC within the next few days so hopefully within a week I'll have it.

Was at the station today ...got to look at my file...Needs to go upstairs so the Chief can ok it..sign it..bless it..what ever happens upstairs..... Hopefully a week i will get it!

P.s. pile was about 50 high

Do you suppose they've been checking this thread all along and sharing hearty chuckles over "those obsessive gun nuts"?

I can relate. I got mine in march after something like 28 days and I thought THAT was too long to wait!

Back
Top Bottom