• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Bag and Transport

Boston404

NES Member
Have read thru several sites and several threads here and still fairly confused. Has been a number of years since I have last been actively going to a range. Hopefully the following question will be relatively straight forward.
I would like to leverage a single range bag and take 2-3 non high capacity pistols with me to the range. It would be ideal to avoid bulky hard cases that would take up too much room to potentially fit in a single bag. I am getting the sense that smaller soft cases that can leverage a lock via the zippers can reasonably suffice as a secure container during transport? I don't intend to leave the vehicle parked anywhere else along my trip to range and back.
Apologies ahead of time if this is a seemingly needlessly redundant question.

I see a lot of ppl at the range use a small plastic ammo can as a range kit. Ive seen the kind of zipper pouch youre talkung about and im sure its only like $12. I like the glock box for an easy grab n go

My all purpose range bag is a husky tool bag from home depot but i usually pack things from in it into a smaller kit

Attachments

• 20230725_213351.jpg
    20230725_213351.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
That will work fine. You could even just toss them in one of the pockets of the range bag and lock the zipper pulls together
Yeah was thinking that as well. This particular bag they pull parallel down the bag together so not sure if locking would be feasible. I like the "rugs" a bit too as could help avoid unexpected scuffing.

OP, I’ve been known to throw a rifle into a bass gig bag. It’s fully legal as long as I lock the zippers together.

It’s not really about making sure the gun is ironclad secure. Think of it as the kind of thing you’d do to prevent an unlicensed passenger from being able to access the gun.

Yeah was thinking that as well. This particular bag they pull parallel down the bag together so not sure if locking would be feasible. I like the "rugs" a bit too as could help avoid unexpected scuffing.
I have the Midway bag and it is as you describe it. I had a shoe repair person install 3 D-rings so that I can put 3 padlocks (2 on the pulls and 1 in the center) to make it Mass legal.

John Green has an excellent video on this:

View: https://youtu.be/uZyzcOw7u9A

Thanks for that and indeed came across similar content. Issue is every police site FAQ and Mass.gov all state handguns need to be secured while transported if not in direct control. I'd rather air on the side of caution and not be the one to test that updated law. I do agree that all these FAQ out there and even MA.gov site is not up to speed with the current language. :)

OP, I’ve been known to throw a rifle into a bass gig bag. It’s fully legal as long as I lock the zippers together.

I have a spare, ridgid guitar case that will hold 2 AR’s and several mags. I use it when my neighbors are out and about and I don’t want to project a tactical look.

IANAL: Magazines may be loaded, but need to be secured if outside the direct control of an LTC holder in the vehicle, regardless of whether or not they are loaded.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

It's my granddaughter's birthday today, and we're having a party at the house for her.

So I collected the loaded firearms from their normal resting places and secured them;
1) G48 from my office, where it sits next to the printer
2) G43X and S&W .38 revolver in the microvault in the bedroom
3) G31 from my knapsack.

The stack-on cabinet in the bedroom closet with a couple more loaded pistols in it was already locked.
The gunsafe in the garage was already locked.

Checked the bench to make sure I didn't have any guns on it.

When the kids leave, I'll put the firearms back in their normal resting places; loaded and un-secured.

OP is attempting to be compliant while transporting firearms to the range.
MA/CT gun owners are like frogs being boiled - my friends down here do not believe me when I tell them how you have to live up there so that you don't get jammed up.

I see a lot of ppl at the range use a small plastic ammo can as a range kit. Ive seen the kind of zipper pouch youre talkung about and im sure its only like $12. I like the glock box for an easy grab n go

My all purpose range bag is a husky tool bag from home depot but i usually pack things from in it into a smaller kit
+1
-mike

I have the Midway bag and it is as you describe it. I had a shoe repair person install 3 D-rings so that I can put 3 padlocks (2 on the pulls and 1 in the center) to make it Mass legal.
I also have what I think is the same bag, which has been through the trenches for more than 10 years and still is in good condition. I never put anything required to be secured in the middle section, and the sections on the sides can be fully locked via padlock through the zippers.

I also have what I think is the same bag, which has been through the trenches for more than 10 years and still is in good condition. I never put anything required to be secured in the middle section, and the sections on the sides can be fully locked via padlock through the zippers.
I use a cable lock to secure the center section.

Back
Top Bottom