Private Outdoor Range GTG in Winchendon?

BREWINZ

NES Member
I was just looking at ~20 acres in Winchendon. I think understand the MGL on the issue. 150 feet from a road, 500 feet from an occupied dwelling, etc.

I'd build an actual 250-300 yard range. Cleared as a strip with trees on both sides, graded downward, proper (tall) backstop, steel targets, shooting bench, etc.

Since silencers are out of the question for reasons only known to idiot lawmakers and Hollywood, I'll obviously be making a lot of noise. I shoot mostly semi-auto rifles, too.

Does anyone have experience with the town? Are the police there just going to shut me down for noise or something else if I spend the time and money following the rules?

Any insight would be appreciated. Seems like a nice town, but you never know.

Personal use or commercial? Good start would be check the towns zoning by-laws to see if it in an area where it would be an allowed use or by special permit - meaning multiple trips to zoning board of appeals.

100% private. I looked for "discharge of a firearm" and similar in the by-laws, but didn't see anything.

Changed the title to increase clarity.

Do you know the neighbors? It's one of this things where some could care less if you're out there shooting and others would be calling the police at the first sound. If they don't care then you could probably blast away. If some did care it might not be a bad thing to let the police know so they don't show up all excited because someone called saying they heard WW3 going on at your place.

The life, liberty, property part of me wants to say let it rip then. But maybe double check its not in a water resource area. And pop over to the neighbors and the local pd, make sure neither will be a huge headache.

I thought about approaching the police, but since that's never been a good idea for just about anything, I was hoping to illicit feedback from someone in the know before going that route.

I cracked open a few GIS maps. Doesn't seem to be any environmental reason I couldn't, but I'm no expert.

I fully plan to hire pros and do my due diligence, but seeing what the peanut gallery has to offer.

Do you know the neighbors? It's one of this things where some could care less if you're out there shooting and others would be calling the police at the first sound. If they don't care then you could probably blast away. If some did care it might not be a bad thing to let the police know so they don't show up all excited because someone called saying they heard WW3 going on at your place.

Absolutely. I plan to approach the neighbors is this transaction goes that far. It's the respectful thing to do.

I suppose my question is more one of how police there would handle it. Some Chiefs would respect my rights, others would look for any reason to make me stop. Not sure about Winchendon town police or politics.

It's 500' from a dwelling/building, unless you have permission. If there are no buildings in use, other than your place, you can lawfully shoot off of your porch, if you're far enough back from the road. Also, the 500' setback has a carve-out for shooting on a target range.

This is just what the MGLs say, (IANAL). Not advising that you push it.

If you do, just make sure you have a good backstop, and signage saying, "Duck!" in case the neighbors come over for a pot-luck.

It's 500' from a dwelling/building, unless you have permission. If there are no buildings in use, other than your place, you can lawfully shoot off of your porch, if you're far enough back from the road. Also, the 500' setback has a carve-out for shooting on a target range.

This is just what the MGLs say, (IANAL). Not advising that you push it.

If you do, just make sure you have a good backstop, and signage saying, "Duck!" in case the neighbors come over for a pot-luck.

That's what I gathered. There also seems to be no legal definition of "range." Not that it matters. Great information, thank you.

I suppose I'll see where this goes and talk to the police prior to purchase. I'm not going to gamble with it. Even if it's legal, I'm convinced they can always find a way to make your life hell.

I was just looking at ~20 acres in Winchendon. I think understand the MGL on the issue. 150 feet from a road, 500 feet from an occupied dwelling, etc.

I'd build an actual 250-300 yard range. Cleared as a strip with trees on both sides, graded downward, proper (tall) backstop, steel targets, shooting bench, etc.

Since silencers are out of the question for reasons only known to idiot lawmakers and Hollywood, I'll obviously be making a lot of noise. I shoot mostly semi-auto rifles, too.

Does anyone have experience with the town? Are the police there just going to shut me down for noise or something else if I spend the time and money following the rules?

Any insight would be appreciated. Seems like a nice town, but you never know.
WRG used to have 200+ yds for under $/100 yr, not sure why youd bother. Minimally used club.

ETA: i think at one time you could even shoot at 300+ there).

Stay away from Royalston.

WRG used to have 200+ yds for under $/100 yr, not sure why youd bother. Minimally used club.

ETA: i think at one time you could even shoot at 300+ there).

Stay away from Royalston.

Not sure why I'd bother? I like to party. That's why.

Seriously though, with as much as I'd like to shoot (24/7 if I could), I absolutely hate lugging everything back and forth. I'm less than 5 minutes from my club now. Depending on what I'm bringing, it could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to setup and breakdown. I also want to reload, so it would be very beneficial to have the ability to check the performance of a load instantly.

TLDR: I'm lazy.

@BREWINZ why the hell not NH? Of course land probably more expensive but it would grind my gut living that close.

I absolutely wanted NH. It's still the ultimate goal, in fact. With my current financial responsibilities, this ridiculous market, and other restrictions, I can't afford to be taxed by both states.

Back
Top Bottom