Range BAG Carry On

If you use one of these they'll just gloss right over it and let you through
the line....

mlp.jpg

-Mike

+1

I've used my range bag as a carry-on and had it swabbed. Absolutely no response, even though I never did anything more than make sure there was no loose brass left in it. Everything I threw in it was covered in powder residue when I took it our after the flight. They're not really focusing on smokeless powder.

Ken

+1.... I don't think they're looking for nitrocellulose based chemicals- the sniffers are probably set up for PETN, RDX, TNT, HMX, etc...

Joe shooter won't get pinged at the airport but I've heard of more than one
case where someone who did EOD stuff for a living had their baggage "light up" an explosives sensor despite not having any materials in their bags.

-Mike

Oh Sure Make fun of My Range Bag

Oh Sure Make fun of My Range Bag

For those of you that were at the Black Powder shoot. It is Not called a Man Purse it is Called A Possibles Bag.

And Im only using the RUGRATS Lunchbox bag until I find something more fasionable that matches my eyes.

I noticed everyone stopped snickering once I had some poweder and a ball stuffed down the smokepole.

This thread reminds me of the time I took a tempur pedic pillow to the range and
used it as a rifle rest. It actually worked out pretty good. [laugh]

-Mike

You want to light up Security?

Go on a business trip to a Nuclear processing plant and walk through security with the same shoes you wore at the plant. This was back in 1992 and the damn machine lit up like I was smuggling an armored transport. (^_^)

I think you should be ok after washing the bag two times. I have had two scenarios at Logan. I check weapons fairly often and the only place I ever get hassled is at Logan.

The first involved me emptying my reloading hopper back into the original AA#5 container and spilling some on my shoes. It was not a lot, but enough to aggravate me. Got to the airport about an hour later and as luck would have it I get singled out for a shoe swab and no reaction. I was transporting a firearm that day but it had already been checked.

Second time transporting a weapon I had shot the day before to test some new hollow points. I had cleaned the piece and it looked shiny and new to me, but the swab tested positive. They had to consult the RED book. Checked it a second time and yes it tested positive again. After a bit of hand wringing, they called someone from the Mass State Police who said he couldn't do anything (no I'm not kidding). They then called some other black clad scary tactical guy (I am kidding but only about the scary part), who told them, "It's a gun it will test positive for gunpowder."

This second scenario took so long I almost missed my flight, and my bag did not make the flight. Luckily, I was going to Lubbock, TX and my bag made it to the hotel with no issues.

I'll NEVER fly with firearms out of Logan.

Besides, TF Green is much more fun. They have the baggage screeners in the ticketing area and you have to hang around until your bag is cleared. Always know when they find my checked guns as you can just see the reaction on the face of the person running the screening equipment. (^_^) Just hold up your hand with the little orange tag and you get a friendly smile and wave.

Joe shooter won't get pinged at the airport but I've heard of more than one
case where someone who did EOD stuff for a living had their baggage "light up" an explosives sensor despite not having any materials in their bags.

Bingo.

Your bag will be fine....What will get you nailed is the three of us who are going to tail you to the airport and continually point at you with concerned looks as you're standing in line..."Jim, did that guy just say Allahu akbar??? [smile]

Have a great trip man...You'll have a blast...

at least in my recent travels I haven't seen carry-ons being subjected to any sort of chemical "sniffer" - and even if they did have one, and even if the bag tripped some sort of sensor, they'd just hand inspect it and you'd be good to go.

When I flew out of Boston in February they used a number of swabs on various portions of both my bags, and jacket.

But of course, I look like an 21 year old Arab (Yes, I had TSA tell me that multiple times years ago). Closest thing to make me look Arab is that I'm Jewish. And I was 25 at the time. So I guess it was good to feel younger...

Warning 80's Abuse

Who's watching
Tell me who's watching
Who's watching me

I'm just an average man with an average life
I work from 9 to 5, hey hell, I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone, in my average home
But why do I always feel
Like I'm in the Twilight Zone? and...

Whooaa there blindndead. Do you have a permit to be tossing Rockwell around so cavalierly at this hour of the day..? [smile]

Last edited:
Anyway, all they do is run a little swab over the bag on the outside. I've used bags that have held guns coming home from the range and they never twitched an eyebrow. Don't sweat it.

Like wise, I have used my backpack to fly, and several times had it swabbed, with no reaction. I too use it as a range bag, and have had it filled with shot gun hulls.

I would not worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom