• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range BAG Carry On

Maybe I'm being paranoid. My range bag happens to be my backpack, i know [rolleyes]. Because I'm about to go on a vacation soon, I needed a carry-on bag for the trip. I've cleaned this bag out ridiculously, inspected every nook and cranny, and tossed it into the wash a couple times.

My concern is: will there be some sort of sensor that could detect something w/ the bag (gunpowder residue / lead / etc)? Once again, there definately isn't any brass / casings in this bag but I'm more concerned w/ a small trace of gunpowder residue still on there after I've washed it.

Who's watching
Tell me who's watching
Who's watching me

I'm just an average man with an average life
I work from 9 to 5, hey hell, I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone, in my average home
But why do I always feel
Like I'm in the Twilight Zone? and...

I always feel like somebody's watching me
And I have no privacy, whoa-oa-oa
Tell me, is it just a dream

When I come home at night
I bang the door real tight
People call me on the phone I'm trying to avoid
Or can the people on TV see me, or am I just paranoid?
When I'm in the shower, I'm afraid to wash my hair
Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there!
People say I'm crazy, just a little touch
But maybe showers remind me of "Psycho" too much
That's why...

Who's playing tricks on me?

Who's watching me
I don't know anymore!
Are the neighbours watching me?
Who's watching
Well is the mailman watching me?
Tell me who's watching
And I don't feel safe anymore, oh what a mess
I wonder who's watching me now
Who?
The IRS?!

Tell me is it just a dream

Who's watching me?

Oooh, whoa-oa-oa
Tell me, can it be?

Who's watching me?

Whoa-oa-oa

Who's watching me?

Can I have my privacy

Maybe I'm being paranoid. My range bag happens to be my backpack, i know [rolleyes]. Because I'm about to go on a vacation soon, I needed a carry-on bag for the trip. I've cleaned this bag out ridiculously, inspected every nook and cranny, and tossed it into the wash a couple times.

My concern is: will there be some sort of sensor that could detect something w/ the bag (gunpowder residue / lead / etc)? Once again, there definately isn't any brass / casings in this bag but I'm more concerned w/ a small trace of gunpowder residue still on there after I've washed it.

I think you're right to be concerned.

Well, as they say, it's not paranoia if someone really is out to get you. I'm all for not worrying unnecessarily, but even though you may ultimately be able to get through security, they're not going to hold the flight while you sort out the details with the TSA, and depending on your schedule missing a flight can really ruin your day. So . . .

I don't think you need to worry about carrying the bag on. Carry-ons go through the x-ray (or equivalent) but at least in my recent travels I haven't seen carry-ons being subjected to any sort of chemical "sniffer" - and even if they did have one, and even if the bag tripped some sort of sensor, they'd just hand inspect it and you'd be good to go. Checking the bag is a different story, in part because I'm not sure what they're doing to checked bags these days - I'm pretty sure they did at one time have some sort of system that could detect explosive chemicals (maybe only a dog) - and in part because you won't be there to explain things if necessary. The TSA has a web site and you can contact them with questions - I don't see any downside to explaining the situation to them and seeing what you get for a response.

If it's black Cordura, I'd say that you have a better than average chance of having TSA swab it down, but they're looking for different compounds than smokeless powder. I remember reading that what they're looking for is stuff that is explosive... which smokeless powder is not.

Anyway, all they do is run a little swab over the bag on the outside. I've used bags that have held guns coming home from the range and they never twitched an eyebrow. Don't sweat it.

A nice, new CLEAN Jansport backpack is going to cost you $20 at Walmart. Seems like a worthwhile investment to me. Why risk it???

I guess i shouldn't be too nervous. Especially after washing it thoroughly too. I'll have to post pics of the trip when I get back. Caribean Cruise here I come!

I'd just go buy another backpack. #1 for the simple fact that you won't have to be worried. #2 because it is similar to what I was taught in my CCW class...if you use your safe for gun stuff, you won't forget to lock it when you are done. If you use it for other stuff (paperwork, camera gear, etc) you might be tempted to think "I'll be right back...I'll lock it then".

Don't sweat it. I regularly use my range bag for my carryon. It's my old one, with one big pocket instead of my new one with a bunch of little pockets. I never clean it, and sometimes use it as a sandbag rest.
I make sure I'm not carrying any ammo or weapons (because that would be just dumb on my part) and that is it.
I once asked one of the agents from Taking Scissors Away, as he was swabbing it, about powder residue, and he said "this will pick up any type of explosive, so it will go off if you didn't clean it real well, but then we'll just hand search it". The machine never went off.

I guess i shouldn't be too nervous. Especially after washing it thoroughly too. I'll have to post pics of the trip when I get back. Caribean Cruise here I come!

Have a great time...I did (last month). What port are you sailing from? I'm getting ready for the Med next month. So nice to escape to a different world sometimes...[grin]

Have a great time...I did (last month). What port are you sailing from? I'm getting ready for the Med next month. So nice to escape to a different world sometimes...[grin]

We're sailing from Miami. Flying out tommorrow. At work at the moment, farting around on NES, worrying about Ode' de GunPowdor` releasing fear pheremones in the sheep.

Dont worry it will be fine they have this real nice jewelry they put on your wrists , then some nice officer will give you a nice rectal exam . Then ,and only then they will give you a telephone so you can call the wife and tell her you will be home in about 5 to 10 years.

Just a suggestion get a new backpack.

Take it from me they have no sense of humor about these things. I was givin the the complete run around at Ohare International because i made the mistake of wearing my CC jacket to the airport , this after i wore it to the range on several occasions. Funny part is Logan International never picked up on the powder residue when i flew out . Its not worth the hassel over a backpack trust me.

Well, as they say, it's not paranoia if someone really is out to get you. I'm all for not worrying unnecessarily, but even though you may ultimately be able to get through security, they're not going to hold the flight while you sort out the details with the TSA, and depending on your schedule missing a flight can really ruin your day. So . . .

I don't think you need to worry about carrying the bag on. Carry-ons go through the x-ray (or equivalent) but at least in my recent travels I haven't seen carry-ons being subjected to any sort of chemical "sniffer" - and even if they did have one, and even if the bag tripped some sort of sensor, they'd just hand inspect it and you'd be good to go. Checking the bag is a different story, in part because I'm not sure what they're doing to checked bags these days - I'm pretty sure they did at one time have some sort of system that could detect explosive chemicals (maybe only a dog) - and in part because you won't be there to explain things if necessary. The TSA has a web site and you can contact them with questions - I don't see any downside to explaining the situation to them and seeing what you get for a response.

I recently went through TSA and my laptop bag and laptop got swabbed. The swabs were then placed into a machine for analysis... It passed. [thinking]

Need to Know

Tell us exactly why you need to know this Information.

It takes a lot of Math and Physics to determine Contraband that is screened for by the Homeland Security People using the latest in Technological Advanced Equipment (Not available in stores, Batteries Not Included)

I get Bagged every time I try to go through DFW. Like Colkcwork.

I will tell you this:

You will never ever be able to Smuggle Maple Syrup thru PWM.

Dont Be Parinoid: Nobody is Watching you.

Good too see that you have the new type Passport for your Safety and Security

Oh And put down that Peanut Butter Sanwich when your typing.

Not to worry; You will be allowed to leave the country without any problems. Comming back in thru customs? Well You can tell us all about it.

Last edited:
Don't be a typical MA wuss. I used to use my laptop bag for a range bag, and I can't tell you how many times that has been used as a rest, shot over, had powder spilled inside, and filled with empty cases. That bag has been swabbed, and put into the machine and not once has it ever failed the test. Once, when I got home from a trip, I dumped the bag out to get all my receipts out, and my table was greeted by a substantial amount of black powder that was in the bottom. Not once did it get detected.

NE CHARTERS,

I don't get it...[rolleyes]

I think I'm over worrying. I mean, I've washed it twice, so if it even had any residue on it, I'm sure it washed off (it washes off of your clothes...)

However, they do seem to screen backpacks more than regular carry-on bags for some reason.
From what I've observed, and what my wife has observed (and she travels on business a LOT) black cordura is apparently the luggage of choice for terrorists - because EVERY time she brings her black cordura carryon, it gets swabbed. If they're swabbing something, odds are it's black cordura.
I think I'm over worrying. I mean, I've washed it twice, so if it even had any residue on it, I'm sure it washed off (it washes off of your clothes...)
You're overworrying. Stop trying to find things to worry about. Go pack.

I've purposely rubbed smokeless power over my bags just to see what would happen.

Nothing.

Recreational shooting doesn't register on the equipment.

However, they do seem to screen backpacks more than regular carry-on bags for some reason.

+1

I've used my range bag as a carry-on and had it swabbed. Absolutely no response, even though I never did anything more than make sure there was no loose brass left in it. Everything I threw in it was covered in powder residue when I took it our after the flight. They're not really focusing on smokeless powder.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom