Question for S&W 642 owners

I'm looking to purchase a 642 and I saw the stock model with the two finger grip next to one with Crimson Trace grips that looked to be extended to three fingers. I didn't hold them because the store was mobbed. I want to be able to use it in a pocket holster like the Nemesis or Mika so I was wondering if any 642 owners have any insight into whether the extended grips will conceal well in a pocket.

Depends on your pockets :) With the CT grips it fits fine in a loose pair of jeans. The one I bought has the non CT grips and is a great shooter. Have you fired one with either or both of the grips?

A great gun that shoots fantastic, and is very easy to conceal in a pocket holster or IWB. I carry one all summer long wearing nothing but shorts and a normal sized t-shirt. Mine does not have the CT grip, as it added a little bulk to the gun and IMHO is not needed at the distances you're likely to be shooting at in a SD scenario. Also very hard to see during the day.

The gun's a winner though, either way you go grip-wise.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I have not shot one yet. I just recently thought it might be something I'd like to have as a full time CCW. I agree about the CT grips not being necessary. I guess I need to fire them and see which I like better.

I bought a 642 with the standard grips and it easily conceals in the Levi's 550 relaxed fit jeans I wear all the time. I luckily fell into a deal where I picked up a pair of the CT grips for it at a ridiculously cheap price and put them on to replace the standard grips that came on the 642. The grips are a little bigger, but the 642 still conceals fine in my jeans pocket with them on.

To me, I think the gun function much better with the laser sighter. The sights on the 642 are very rudimentary and as Fooped indicated, it's not an issue a close range. But, if your shot has to be beyond 5-7ft, aiming gets a little harder. The CT grips in my opinion make aiming the gun much easier at further ranges.

My 642CT conceals so well that it's now all I carry. Even with the CT grips, it sits well in my front pocket tucked inside a Mika Pocket Holster, (awesome). I was never really a huge Smith and Wesson fan until I bought this gun - now I can't wait for my next, (c'mon 500!)....Be prepared for a heavy initial trigger pull, but don't be discouraged and don't modify the trigger. Dry fire it a lot and shoot it often - it will become smooth as butter. I like the CT's even though my realistic range is 0-10 feet. It makes a nice accessory to point shooting. If you're coming to the next NES Members Shoot, I'll have mine on me and a generous supply of Speer 135gr GDHP +P - you are welcome to give it a go....

I have the 642 with CT Mod. 405 grips. They are great for pocket carry. I use an Uncle Mine's pocket holster...love it. The 405's have the same profile as the factory boot grips but are thinner. I believe the CT's that come on the gun from S&W are the 305's. I would say buy the plain 642. Practice with it for a while then buy the 405's. (or the 305's)

Be prepared for a heavy initial trigger pull, but don't be discouraged and don't modify the trigger.
I modified my trigger. Most all J-frames can be greatly improved with a conservative trigger job. I replaced the springs and lightly polished the frame and rebound slide. I didn't touch the hammer and sear.

Mine has been 100% reliable after the trigger job and the trigger is greatly improved.

That said, I have trouble with the dinky sights, so I carry my Kahr PM9 instead.

I modified my trigger. Most all J-frames can be greatly improved with a conservative trigger job.

Agreed. But there's something to be said for making NO modifications to your CCW. No trigger job, no lasers, no reloads (obviously), nothing.

Even though the laser is available as a factory installed option, and a trigger job is about as basic a mod as it gets, I don't want to give the jury any more "ammo" (pardon the atrocious pun) to hang me with in a righteous SD scenario.

I can hear it now:

"The shooter's weapon had a LASER on it ladies and gentlemen of the jury, A LASER!" [rolleyes]

I'm sure they won't mention the Goblin's gun that's got the serial number filed off, has probably killed more than one person already, and is totally illegal to begin with for about 607 reasons. [angry]

End threadjack, and with or without the "puppy slaughtering death-ray" mod, it's still an awesome CCW! [grin]

Fooped:

I think a reasonable carry trigger is 1) easily defensible and 2) a major benefit. On a 642, you're not going to get a 4 lb trigger. But taking it from 12 lbs to 8 lbs will yield a huge improvement in accuracy. And I doubt any prosecutor will know the difference.

I bought the full size grips by accident. Don't buy them, they are too big to conceal. It was impossible to carry the revolver in a jeans pocket and they printed bad in my SOB holster. I got rid of them and got the standard size grips instead.

Agreed. But there's something to be said for making NO modifications to your CCW. No trigger job, no lasers, no reloads (obviously), nothing.

Even though the laser is available as a factory installed option, and a trigger job is about as basic a mod as it gets, I don't want to give the jury any more "ammo" (pardon the atrocious pun) to hang me with in a righteous SD scenario.
Oh, G-d, here we go again.

Greg, please provide a cite with ANY case where the fact that a trigger job (a competently done one, that is - not filing down a sear to make a gun full-auto) has come into play deciding the verdict.

Trust me, here in MA it's more the fact that you didn't roll over and play dead, like a good sheep, for the goblin intent on robbing/raping/murdering you that will get you in trouble.

I hope that you're not worried about the Bianchi Lightning grips on my J-frame right now... 'cause they're not coming off until I get the hammer bobbed. [wink]

I was more referring to the CT grips than the trigger job, and I'm not "worried" about anyone else's CCW configuration, just my own. I simply opt for stock.

Not going to provide a "cite". I was simply making conjecture, and that is all. And, as you well know, the instrument used in most any potentially lethal conflict quite often gets villified by the prosecutor in an attempt to sway the jury. I don't think that the possibility of a overzealous prosecutor mentioning that the SD firearm was somehow "evil" due to it's having a "laser" on it is IN ANY WAY unreasonable given the political climate in this state.

One thing's for sure though:

I hope none of us EVER have to test this theory. (knocks on wood for all the good people here on NES)

If we put much weight in any and all arguments a prosecutor could make about modifications to our guns, homes, pants etc. we would talk ourselves right out of carrying!
I own the 642 with CT. I have a De Santis pocket holster. The gun fits and feels fine. I do buy bigger britches with a longer inseam and have them taken up. That gives me bigger and deeper pockets with lots of room. :) I did have a trigger job. There is no reason not to have a trigger that is safe and easier for YOU to squeeze. If your trigger requires too much pull, your shot is going to be shakey and a second shot may be out of the question!
I shoot my 642 regularly just to remember how powerful it is. I use both the front sight and the laser sight, not relying on just one.
Best Regards.

My pocket J-frame is a 342PD with the small CT laser grips. This rig fits well in my pockets. I have not tried the larger grips but do not think that I would like them since I don't like the large grips on a j-frame.

My defense guns are stock, because I'm paranoid about legal repercussions and because if it ain't broke I won't fix it. If you want to mod your gun, go for it. But mine're stock.

Just thought I'd throw that in there, not trying to start a war here.

The trigger on my 642 is stiff but very smooth and breaks well. I personally don't mind a heavy trigger on this piece. I have spent a bit of time with it in well lit and low light and I can see how the laser could be of value on these snubbies but not for me. IMVHO the 642 fills its role exceptionally well without the laser.

I had the CT grips and didn't like them. When I gripped the gun normally, my finger didn't always hit the button, and when it did, I had a very hard time locating the dot in the day. I took them off, sold them on eBay (for $250!!) and put on some Uncle Mikes boot grips. It fits in the pocket much better now.

Like others have said, I can hit what I need to at the distances that this is likely to be used, without even looking at the sights let alone a laser.

The trigger on my 642 is stiff but very smooth and breaks well. I personally don't mind a heavy trigger on this piece.

Dry fire it about 10,000 times (yes, I am serious). It lightens up and smooths out. Ask Tele_Mark. We tried his fresh-from-the-factory 637 and my 642 side-by-side, and there was a noticeable difference.

Dry fire it about 10,000 times (yes, I am serious). It lightens up and smooths out. Ask Tele_Mark. We tried his fresh-from-the-factory 637 and my 642 side-by-side, and there was a noticeable difference.

There's somewhere near 1,500 rounds through it and around (I'm pseudo-calculating) 2,200 dry fires. Trigger is smooth and I don't doubt it'll lighten up. Thanks for the reminder.
All my revolvers have shown improvement after extensive dry firing. My wife can't stand it so I have to hideaway when I dry fire or else I hear the dreaded "WTF is with all the clicking in here?" She doesn't realize how much louder it could be. But then again live fire practice in my home office brings with it a whole other set of problems.[mg][mg][mg][mg]
Thanks again for the reminder. Always great advice.

[cheers]

I've got a 432 with CT grips. With a Mika pocket holster any gun 'printing' is imperceptible.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

07_25_2007008a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom