• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Ejector rod removal question

All S&W revolvers have left hand threads on their ejector/extractor rods, so to remove them you want to turn them in the clockwise direction (to the right). However, this can put a lot of stress on the extractor "star". So, it is suggested that you put empty .22 cartridges in all of the chambers of cylinder to absorb some the the torsional load. I've seen a lot of old Smiths with buggered up knurling on their ejector rods because some used pliers on the bare steel in an effort to unscrew them. Don't make that mistake! The recommend approach is put the full length of the ejector rod in a padded vice and then just twist off the cylinder with nothing more than hand strength.

Note it is important to make sure the cylinder-ejector rod assembly is tightened thoroughly when put back together. If it is loose, the cylinder will become jammed in the frame and unable to be opened because the ejector rod is too long. There a work arounds to this problem but it is best to avoid it in the first place.

The Model 17 is a beautiful piece. I have a Model 48, the same K frame version like yours, but in .22 WMR. Years ago I took it back to the Springfield factory and had them fit it with a .22 Long Rifle cylinder. A word of caution about shooting .22 ammo which is notorously dirty. Carbon and unburn powder can quickly build up under the extractor star and this, too, can jam things up and bind the cyclinder. So be sure to clean out that area thoroughly and often.

Good luck with the disassembly!

All S&W revolvers have left hand threads on their ejector/extractor rods,
Some old S&Ws had right hand threads. There is a circumfrential grouve around the knurled head on the new (actually, more like "not really old") to indicate the left hand threads.

Learned this bit tidbit from @RKG who is a one-man think tank of interesting information.

IMG_8171.jpeg IMG_8172.jpeg IMG_8173.jpeg IMG_8174.jpeg IMG_8175.jpeg Update: Was able to get extractor assembly out of cylinder. Yes, left hand threads. No problem. Now this 70's K22 needs some tender loving care. She wasnt well taken care of by previous owner and is showing these signs of neglect. Looking for suggestions as to which way to proceed. I was thinking of submerging her in a Kroil bath for a day or two to stop the spread of rust. She's living in a humidity controlled environment currently around 25/30 %. Nice and dry. I was wondering if safe to use a bronze brush to scrub it away, or bronze wool. I know not to use steel wool or brushes as this would be to aggressive. I was even thinking of contacting Greg Derr at Derr Precision to inquire if he would do a job like this.......Any thoughts ? Here are some pics.......

please please please restore that gun to its glory

re blue and re engrave, if Derr won't take it find someone who will

I would give my left nut to have a pristine Model 17 or K-22

View attachment 839240View attachment 839241View attachment 839242View attachment 839243View attachment 839244Update: Was able to get extractor assembly out of cylinder. Yes, left hand threads. No problem. Now this 70's K22 needs some tender loving care. She wasnt well taken care of by previous owner and is showing these signs of neglect. Looking for suggestions as to which way to proceed. I was thinking of submerging her in a Kroil bath for a day or two to stop the spread of rust. She's living in a humidity controlled environment currently around 25/30 %. Nice and dry. I was wondering if safe to use a bronze brush to scrub it away, or bronze wool. I know not to use steel wool or brushes as this would be to aggressive. I was even thinking of contacting Greg Derr at Derr Precision to inquire if he would do a job like this.......Any thoughts ? Here are some pics.......
That oxidation looks very superficial with no deep pitting! It should clean up real nice with a little loving care.!!

Some old S&Ws had right hand threads. There is a circumfrential grouve around the knurled head on the new (actually, more like "not really old") to indicate the left hand threads.

Learned this bit tidbit from @RKG who is a one-man think tank of interesting information.
Great insight! You learn something new every day!!

please please please restore that gun to its glory

re blue and re engrave, if Derr won't take it find someone who will

I would give my left nut to have a pristine Model 17 or K-22
She's in the hands of Dr. Derr and im confident that she'll make a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom