• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Residence address

Hey everyone,

New here.

Anyway, I poked around for a little while, and didn't come up with anything that answers a question I have. In applying for a FID/LTC, do I have to use my permanent address (the one where my parents live), or can I use my address at school? I ask because my 'home' is in Worcester, while I live at school in Bourne, which is apparently much friendlier. Any idea if I can apply in Bourne, rather than Worcester?

Also, one of the last questions on the application is "REASON (S) FOR REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CARD OR LlCENSE:". For an FID, what would be a good idea to write?

Okay, thank you. I was mostly just wondering about this for the future anyway, as I shouldn't have any issue getting an FID in Worcester, but I will still be in Bourne when I'm eligible for an LTC.

Correction, there is no law that says it has to be the permenant address, rather, it will save you a lot of headaches and confusion.

What the statute says is "residence." A student living temporarily away from home at school is not a resident of the school's locale.

For an FID, you can say "cuz I want it"

But why go for an FID if you're eligible for an LTC? I believe Worcester issues LTCs, just restricted ones. Why arbitrarily restrict yourself?

But why go for an FID if you're eligible for an LTC?

Because it is harder for a chief to declare you "unsuitable" when you ALREADY have a gun license, even if it's only an FID.

Note that, if denied an LTC solely because of a chief's arbitrary decision, the first step is to file for the FID card. If issued, see above. If denied w/o a statutory disqualifier as a basis, then the chief has really stepped in it.

What the statute says is "residence." A student living temporarily away from home at school is not a resident of the school's locale.
This is not always a clear cut question. While rarely an issue for LTC's, the concept of "legal residence" is a common one when it comes to voter registration of college students. Students who are bound by all local laws in the place they live 9 months of the year want a vote, and property owners are scared (and rightly so) of having a large block of people who are clueless when it comes to the impact of property taxes on the homeowner getting a say in what they pay.

The solution is not easy and the answer is not always "not a resident" for students. A bit of Googling will find stories of various localities attempts to stop students for registering to vote, as well as some court decisions. The only thing that appears to be reasonably consistent is that one cannot pick and choose - ie, use one home address for the driver's license; another for voting; another for gun licenses; etc.

I am reminded of a case in NYC years ago where a man getting divorced tried to have the case heard outside NYC arguing that was not his state of residence. The only complication he had was a NYC issued pistol permit (he had $$, hence the messy divorce fight) being used as proof he declared NYC residency.

But if you rent an apartment year-round in the town you go to school in, that would make you a resident, correct?

What I dislike about the various ways of determining "residence" is that it never works to the individual's benefit. To wit: if you're a student living in a dorm in a different county than you "reside" in, that county can still pull you in for jury duty.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/jury/disquali.htm
- Students whose residence is out of state but study here ("inhabitants");

- Students who live in one Massachusetts judicial district ("residents"), but study in a different one ("inhabitants") must serve in the judicial district in which they are summonsed;

- Students who are Massachusetts residents but study at out-of-state schools must serve in their judicial district if summonsed at their Massachusetts residence, and;

Hey everyone,

New here.

Anyway, I poked around for a little while, and didn't come up with anything that answers a question I have. In applying for a FID/LTC, do I have to use my permanent address (the one where my parents live), or can I use my address at school? I ask because my 'home' is in Worcester, while I live at school in Bourne, which is apparently much friendlier. Any idea if I can apply in Bourne, rather than Worcester?

Also, one of the last questions on the application is "REASON (S) FOR REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CARD OR LlCENSE:". For an FID, what would be a good idea to write?

You live at where you reside. Kids that live in Connecticut and reside as students in the Dorm in Massachusetts are really Massachusett residents. They live here 9 months out of the year. They should pay taxes on the Mass Resident return and report to jury duty.

So why shouldn't you use your Bourne address as it is your resident address? I have been really confused when people have explained to me that they live at home when they are living at the dorm or apartment for college. It doesn't make any sense to think that you are "residing at home."

Bill

Negative.

When I went to undergrad here, I filed and voted as a Maryland resident. MA PDs will most likely NOT recognize your school address.

Mostly because their local (to college) police chief will DENY them as "non residents"!

Same for snow-birds that live in MA 5-6 months/year, own property and pay taxes on it, perhaps even leaving a MA registered car here.

Not speculation on my part, but I know that GCAB tells other chiefs to deny in these cases.

This has also been covered at great length here before and nothing has changed.

As for your "reason".... try all lawful purposes.

If you're in school in Bourne, I'm guessing you're at the MMA. Good luck to you.

But if you rent an apartment year-round in the town you go to school in, that would make you a resident, correct?

Not correct.

Until age 18, John lived in his parents house in Pennsylvania, in which state he was born.

At age 18, John matriculates at U. Mass. Boston, and rents an apartment in Boston on a year-to-year basis.

John actually sleeps in Boston 9 months of the year. Two years ago, he spent the summer in Aspen, Colorado. Last year, in North Conway, NH.

John has made no plans to make Massachusetts his home after graduation. (In fact, John, usually inebriated, has made no plans at all, other than maybe to see if he can find a map to the classrooms, er, well, maybe tomorrow.)

John is a resident of Pennsylvania.

John has made no plans to make Massachusetts his home after graduation. (In fact, John, usually inebriated, has made no plans at all, other than maybe to see if he can find a map to the classrooms, er, well, maybe tomorrow.)

RKG, that is precious! [rofl] [laugh2]

Who says lawyers don't have a sense of humor?

You live at where you reside. Kids that live in Connecticut and reside as students in the Dorm in Massachusetts are really Massachusett residents. They live here 9 months out of the year. They should pay taxes on the Mass Resident return and report to jury duty.

So why shouldn't you use your Bourne address as it is your resident address? I have been really confused when people have explained to me that they live at home when they are living at the dorm or apartment for college. It doesn't make any sense to think that you are "residing at home."

Bill

nope, not in this case. Living away from school for this kid means he will be back at home in wrocester when not at school, so his parents addy is the permanent address. Worcester, eh? Your LTC wil be nuetered

Not correct.

Until age 18, John lived in his parents house in Pennsylvania, in which state he was born.

At age 18, John matriculates at U. Mass. Boston, and rents an apartment in Boston on a year-to-year basis.

John actually sleeps in Boston 9 months of the year. Two years ago, he spent the summer in Aspen, Colorado. Last year, in North Conway, NH.

The reason John is able to do all this is that he is the sole beneficiary of a monstrous trust fund, providing him with several million dollars income per year. Despite the the above (which I don't question), rest assured that the Massachusetts DOR will assert all the way to the SJC that John is indeed a Massachusetts resident for tax purposes in order to grab 12% of all that "unearned" income, to which it would otherwise have no claim. (I also strongly suspect that if John were to attempt to register to vote in Massachusetts as a Democrat that he would have no problem whatsoever) [wink]

Alice laughed, "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Ken

The reason John is able to do all this is that he is the sole beneficiary of a monstrous trust fund, providing him with several million dollars income per year. Despite the the above (which I don't question), rest assured that the Massachusetts DOR will assert all the way to the SJC that John is indeed a Massachusetts resident for tax purposes in order to grab 12% of all that "unearned" income, to which it would otherwise have no claim. (I also strongly suspect that if John were to attempt to register to vote in Massachusetts as a Democrat that he would have no problem whatsoever) [wink]

Ken

True. Unfortunately, it was a GST set up by John's grandfather. As a result, John's father, impoverished and simply not able to contemplate the horrible fate of regular gainful employment, fled to California and became a surfer. Today, this superannuated hippy's drug-adled brain as only a handful of still-functioning cells. Which explains, and doubtless excuses, his offspring's sterling qualities.

The only ray of sunshine in this saga is that John never lived in Connecticut, where he might have wielded a golf club on his brother's girlfriend's skull.

Not correct.

This issue is not really "where is John a resident", but "which governmental functions consider John a resident". The standards for Jury Duty; gun purchases and licensing; payment of resident taxes on unearned income; voting; and payment of in-state tuition rates can differ. While a student may have legally voted in his college town for three years, he may also find it impossible to get the state to consider him to have been a "resident" for those years for the purpose of in state tuition. Shades of Schrodenger's cat.

Localities across the country are all over the map when it comes to college student voting - ranging from acceptance of dorm addresses as valid residency on voter registration forms, to erecting every imaginable obstacle to prevent these non-property tax payers from voting.

Each of these issues can be significantly more complex that the declarative statement regarding residency given above, which reads more like a position statement from a local voter registration board trying to stop student votes than an actual definitive answer on the matter.

When I get bored, I'll look up Symm v. United States, 439 U.S. 1105, 99 S.Ct. 1006 (1979) which reportedly resolved the issue in favor of college students.

Last edited:
Drivers Lic. address is used as a perm address? Thats where he lives!

Is John looking for a job in politics???

At least Schrödenger's cat collapses into one state or the other when anybody checks to see. The rest of us seem to be in the opposite situation, being either a resident or a non-resident until one checks closely.

Ken

As for your "reason".... try all lawful purposes.

If you're in school in Bourne, I'm guessing you're at the MMA. Good luck to you.

Thats what I ended up putting on the app. And I am at MMA, and thank you, I need as much luck as I can get.

I am under 21 (19 right now), so all I could get was an FID. I know when it comes time for an LTC, its gunna get neutered in worcester, so I was trying to see if I could find away around the WPD.

Back
Top Bottom