Pulled over, asked about LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass state law does not require notification when stopped, so there is no legal reason to do so. And as mentioned above; if you do volunteer the info, it may get you some unwanted attention.

HMMM! I wasn`t aware the cops can check a data base to see if you have a firearms license if they pull you over for a moving violation.

HMMM! I wasn`t aware the cops can check a data base to see if you have a firearms license if they pull you over for a moving violation.

This was cover in an earlier thread. If I remembrer correctly, it was stated that the information on an LTC/FID doesn't come up on the first screen when checking a driver's license, but is available with a further inquiry.

This was cover in an earlier thread. If I remembrer correctly, it was stated that the information on an LTC/FID doesn't come up on the first screen when checking a driver's license, but is available with a further inquiry.

for real??? so he purposefully looked to see if I had an LTC?? that's strange, no idea what would prompt him to do so...

Related story... my son was parked outside a friend's house at 10PM, along with another car. FYI the car is registered in my wife's name. LE hits him with a spotlight and after a few minutes comes up to the car. He says to my son "I know you have an FID card and your Dad has an LTC. Is there anything in the car I should know about".

Son told him nothing in the car. The LE said to him it was just unusual for a 16 year old to have an FID card. OH... and my son had forgotten his driver's license... DOH!

No tickets, no warnings, nothing. The area they were parked in often has kids hanging and drinking across the street in the park. I think it was a random check. But it was interesting he knew all that about our licenses right away.

Seriously? you don't feel a LEO has any business knowing if someone he pulls over has a firearm?

It's not the licensed firearms owner that is the threat to police officers, it's the unlicensed ones that no doubt engage in other criminal activity that they are generally concerned about. Or should be.

It seems to be a little late at that point. I'm actually surprised he did not pull you out of the car and check knowing this state.

No probable cause to ask the driver to leave the vehicle or submit to a search.

Some officers dont like to be surprised when you open your glove compartment to get a registration and a handgun falls out they werent execpting. I dont understand the big deal in letting the officer know you have a firearm in advance to avoid him being surprised. I was taught that by my uncle who was a LEO in MA, which is where I grew up.

I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

Some officers dont like to be surprised when you open your glove compartment to get a registration and a handgun falls out they werent execpting. I dont understand the big deal in letting the officer know you have a firearm in advance to avoid him being surprised. I was taught that by my uncle who was a LEO in MA, which is where I grew up.

I live in a free state so i guess i dont really know what i am talking about but if a handgun falls out of the glove box wouldnt you be in violation of the law in Mass anyway regarding the "in your direct control" issue? Seems like it would be moot...if it is concealed, you have a license to carry and the police contact has nothing to do with the gun...what does it matter? I frequently have tools in my car that i could hurt him with...should i disclose i am carrying a hammer?

for real??? so he purposefully looked to see if I had an LTC?? that's strange, no idea what would prompt him to do so...

You mentioned he was young. Possibly 'enthusiastic'. You got pulled over after midnight, he prob did a full check for outstandings etc. I got tagged for doing an illegal U in Marlboro a few months back (missed my turn and didn't notice the sign) and he asked me if I was carrying. I said yes and it went no further. Didn't get a ticket either - got a warning. Nice guy actually. I THINK he may have run you to decide how much he was going to write the fine for - i.e. if you had priors he was gonna hammer you.

I live in a free state so i guess i dont really know what i am talking about but if a handgun falls out of the glove box wouldnt you be in violation of the law in Mass anyway regarding the "in your direct control" issue? Seems like it would be moot...if it is concealed, you have a license to carry and the police contact has nothing to do with the gun...what does it matter? I frequently have tools in my car that i could hurt him with...should i disclose i am carrying a hammer?
You're lucky you live in a free state.

In short, no...it's not legal. Do not keep your CCW in your glove box in MA.

Some officers dont like to be surprised when you open your glove compartment to get a registration and a handgun falls out they werent execpting.

If you open a glove box to get your registration and a handgun falls out, you've got much bigger problems to worry about than not alerting the officer about the gun's presence in the first place. [laugh]

Oddly enough, in Manchester, NH, I was pulled over yesterday. Spoke with the cop a bit... he was a friendly guy. Before he gave me my papers back he asked if I had ever had any "contact" with MPD, meaning negative. I told him no... he tells me the reason he wanted to know is that there was a note in the "computer" that said I have a gun.

I've been pulled over 3 times in the last month while OCing, never was an issue... hell, two of the cops didn't even want to see my permit... but someone entered a note in the system about it.

Are you sure on this? I have several good SP friends and was under the impression it came up, and the next query would show what guns you have purchased/transferred.

It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken, though.

Well, someone has to do it, so I guess I will!

facepalm2.jpg

Oddly enough, in Manchester, NH, I was pulled over yesterday. Spoke with the cop a bit... he was a friendly guy. Before he gave me my papers back he asked if I had ever had any "contact" with MPD, meaning negative. I told him no... he tells me the reason he wanted to know is that there was a note in the "computer" that said I have a gun.

I've been pulled over 3 times in the last month while OCing, never was an issue... hell, two of the cops didn't even want to see my permit... but someone entered a note in the system about it.

So, were you pulled over because you were OCing, and some moonbat reported you? Just curious.

-Mike

Are you sure on this? I have several good SP friends and was under the impression it came up, and the next query would show what guns you have purchased/transferred.

It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken, though.

I don't think the systems are tied together (eg, in a relational database sense) but it would not surprise me if MSP simply has some screen on a mobile terminal where they can punch a couple of keys and make a query into the CHSB system that holds that info. I bet they could just punch your name and DOB into that system and it would retrieve any records with a match, and in MA the probability of two people having the same name and same DOB (and having an LTC) is probably slim to none, so it's not like they would have to sift through duplicates to find a match.

I'm not really sure what the fascination with looking up an LTC would be, though... if I was a LEO I would be more concerned about the people who don't have licenses.

-Mike

Last edited:
Great, another pulled over/LTC thread.

WTF would you hide your LTC in your wallet? It's not a crime, it's not even a privilege, it's a right!

Sheep mentality through and through.

So, were you pulled over because you were OCing, and some moonbat reported you? Just curious.

-Mike

no... pulled over because my inspection sticker is 6 months overdue for a new one. Funny enough, I hadn't been ticketed until yesterday, which was the only one of 4 stops that I wasn't carrying. I OC or sloppily CC most of the time. Like, OC unless I'm somewhere where I either don't want people to know, or don't want to be hassled by moonbats, in which case I pull my T-shirt over the holster. Prints like hell, but people are pretty universally oblivious.

Last edited:
Great, another pulled over/LTC thread.

WTF would you hide your LTC in your wallet? It's not a crime, it's not even a privilege, it's a right!

Sheep mentality through and through.

It's not about hiding it, it's about I don't think it's anybody's business, I don't want people knowing or asking. For the same reason I'd prefer to carry concealed instead of open carry.

I have never been asked.
I don't ask questions about their firearm I don't expect to get any asked about mine.

Mass state law does not require notification when stopped, so there is no legal reason to do so. And as mentioned above; if you do volunteer the info, it may get you some unwanted attention.

Stated well. It's turned into a secret ballot on NES as to who would tell and who would not.

Libertarians would never suffer such a thing, Safe-than-sorry'ers prepared to give mother's maiden name. Choices, choices...

Couple of things..... You were speeding and if I read the original post correctly, pieces were falling off the car. It seems the cop may have been concerned, at that time of day they probably come across alot of drunks and he was just being thorough.
My .02

Alicante is in Mendon lol, I will edit my post.

GaryO, I had dropped off the fiancee's Honda Accord @ home and went to Wallyworld in my own car which was fine. Sorry for the confusion.

He's from Maine, so maybe it's different up there. Or maybe he's different "up there". If you get my drift.

Sorry to ruin your insult but I LIVE in Maine and work for the Navy after I got discharged. I'm FROM MA, which is where I grew up and my family all still live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom