• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over, asked about LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

s4mt3k

NES Member
First off, pls allow me to rant for a minute;

Last night was going awesome, I made a trip to First Defense, then went and had an awesome birthday dinner with the fiancee @ Alicante in Mendon (awesome place).
On the way back I heard scraping under the car, find out it's the heat shield around the cat that's scraping. No worries, continue driving home, and when I get there I find out the car wouldn't start anymore, battery's completely dead. It's a 2003 Honda so I figured the battery is original to the car. Decided to make a last minute trip to Walmart in Bellingham (open till midnight) and pick up a battery so she could make it to work this morning.

On the way back from Walmart, I'm cruising in my car in the middle lane, I go to pass a car in the left lane and there's a statie riding my ass.... I get pulled over, he asks me for my license & registration, goes to his car and comes back 5 minutes later. Before handing me my citation he says: "Let me ask you a question, you have an LTC, are you carrying?" I said no (I wasn't). He just handed me my citation for doing 80 in a 65 @ 00:01am.

I took the ticket and drove home, and was thinking, that's a bit excessive 80 in a 65 @ midnight... then I was thinking why would he ask me about my LTC??? What difference does it make if I was carrying or not???

I'm still not sure what the significance of his question is. I was pretty upset about the ticket, then went home jacked up the car, worked a bit under it and got the heat shield out, swapped the battery, showered and went to bed @ 2am. Fun night.

Edits:
To clarify (some weren't sure), the rant is to the fact that an awesome night turned crappy very quickly. I am not ranting about the officer or anything along those lines.
Also, I had dropped off the fiancee's car and was in my car when I got pulled over so it was not due to the heat shield scraping that I got pulled over.

Last edited:
Did you have it visible in your wallet when you opened it? Even just the edge?

Another possibility is he ran your name to check for one, but I'm not sure what the point is in asking about your LTC -after- he comes back.... lol.

-Mike

It sounds like you had a pretty awesome day.
Alicante is likely the best place to eat in the area. You got to go to a gun shop, and you took a trip to Walmart.

Not visible at all! I made sure to hide it in a fold for this exact purpose, I only want to show it if asked for it. He clearly looked it up while pulling my info/record up in his car...

Did you have it visible in your wallet when you opened it? Even just the edge?

Another possibility is he ran your name to check for one, but I'm not sure what the point is in asking about your LTC -after- he comes back.... lol.

-Mike

No kidding. What difference does it make at that point?

It seems to be a little late at that point. I'm actually surprised he did not pull you out of the car and check knowing this state.

Ever since I've gotten my LTC I've considered the case of getting pulled over and what I would do (I always assumed I'd be carrying and wasn't last night cause I'm still waiting for my first IWB holster).

I don't know, he was younger, I don't even think he had his hand on his gun. I would've noticed.

Regardless of anything, say I was a concerned officer, I'd hand the citation keeping my hand on my gun and walk back to my car... why the freaking question??

My guess is because you should notify an officer that you are carrying when pulled over, he was checking to see if you failed to mention it. Just a guess.

I think the significance of his questions comes down to the officer asking it. Some LEOs expect you to disclose the fact that you're carrying, whether it's because they're on a power trip, they're suspicious of civilians that carry weapons, or simply because they're curious. Other LEOs don't ask because they aren't worried about it or simply don't care.

There's a reason that the "do I tell the officer I'm carrying?" threads get so long.

We have discussions here about whether-or-not to tell the cops about our carry piece when pulled over. Maybe the cop was doing a little research of his own to that end.

My guess is because you should notify an officer that you are carrying when pulled over, he was checking to see if you failed to mention it. Just a guess.

Why should you notify the officer? What business is it of his?

In this state there is no obligation to do that....and in some cases gets you unneeded "attention".

[horse][horse][horse] on this subject.

Last edited:
Seriously? you don't feel a LEO has any business knowing if someone he pulls over has a firearm?

Not unless he needs to handle someone. Why would he need to ask for a firearm to issue a speeding ticket?

[popcorn]

Bellingham Wallyworld is open to midnight? I didn't know that. Alcante is nice but I like Incontro.

Haha yeh and the only reason I know that is because before dinner, we picked up a Walther P22 from FD and wanted to see what time Wallyworld was open till to try to grab some .22LR after dinner. Where's Incontro??

Seriously? you don't feel a LEO has any business knowing if someone he pulls over has a firearm?

Mass state law does not require notification when stopped, so there is no legal reason to do so. And as mentioned above; if you do volunteer the info, it may get you some unwanted attention.

Haha yeh and the only reason I know that is because before dinner, we picked up a Walther P22 from FD and wanted to see what time Wallyworld was open till to try to grab some .22LR after dinner. Where's Incontro??
Rt 140 in Franklin. Get off at exit 17 and head twords Bellingham, take the first right once you've crossed 495 and it's on your left in an old mill. - more or less across the street from the 99.

Might stop at FD myself tonight. My daughter lost her OC spray moving out of her dorm and I want to pick her up a new one.

Next time an LEO asks if you have an LTC, ask if he wears boxers or tighty whities. As he is pulling you out of the car and arresting you just say "What, I thought since you asked me something that was none of your business that I could ask you something too"

[rofl]

Actually, my first instinct was to post that picture of the dude holding his head and saying "oh no, not this shit again" but then I realized that I have done it too. I'll just wait for one of those miserable old windbags like Scrivner to come along and humiliate this poor guy instead.

Maybe in Maine it's the thing to do...but in MA, the cop could overreact, pull you out of the car, take your weapon and make you stand there until everything is "cleared up" One never knows.......

haha jeez I thought it was clear I was ranting at how a good night turned shitty. I'll take the rant comment out if it's bothering ppl?!

Nah, it just didn't seem like much of a rant, and I think it comes off a bit as ranting about the LEO who I don't think did anything that I wouldn't have done. I would have asked about the LTC just to shoot the shit about guns though.

Not unless he needs to handle someone. Why would he need to ask for a firearm to issue a speeding ticket?

Some officers dont like to be surprised when you open your glove compartment to get a registration and a handgun falls out they werent execpting. I dont understand the big deal in letting the officer know you have a firearm in advance to avoid him being surprised. I was taught that by my uncle who was a LEO in MA, which is where I grew up.

Last edited:
Next time an LEO asks if you have an LTC, ask if he wears boxers or tighty whities. As he is pulling you out of the car and arresting you just say "What, I thought since you asked me something that was none of your business that I could ask you something too"

[rofl]

Actually, my first instinct was to post that picture of the dude holding his head and saying "oh no, not this shit again" but then I realized that I have done it too. I'll just wait for one of those miserable old windbags like Scrivner to come along and humiliate this poor guy instead.

LOL @ tighty wities! what'd I do now?? quick lemme edit before Scrivner shows up!

Nah, it just didn't seem like much of a rant, and I think it comes off a bit as ranting about the LEO who I don't think did anything that I wouldn't have done. I would have asked about the LTC just to shoot the shit about guns though.

I kinda wish he did!! He would have realized I'm a decent guy (lol). Actually when I was @ FD a statie stopped by to check out the new toys and we talked a bit about guns, very nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom