Potential new gun owner

So, A bunch of friends and myself are planning on taking the safety course required to get an FID/LTC.

A few questions:

1) I live in Revere, MA. How tough will it be for me to get my FID/LTC? I saw that it is a "green" town.

2) Do I need to provide written references? If so, I see some people talk about having police provide references...I know 0 police officers, can I just have friends write me a reference? I'm an upstanding citizen, with nothing on my record other then a few speeding tickets.

3) Is there anywhere/anyone I can get in touch with to try out a few guns to see what I like before I buy?

4) Can someone explain the difference between the "high capacity gun list" and the "approved gun list"? Can I still buy one of the guns on the first list even if its not on the second list? I'm so confused.

Thanks in advance!
--L

1) FID is shall issue. As far as Revere being "green", that means they should issue you whichever license you apply for, up to and including LTC-A ALP

2) I'm not sure about Revere, but I know Worcester requires two letters on business letterhead. You probably ought to ask the PD what their exact requirement is.

3) Alot of people on this board

4) The "approved" gun list is a list of handguns that have been tested and approved by the EOPS. In order to buy a handgun from an FFL holder in this state, it must be on this roster (except for those which were in-state before the law went into effect 10/98 i think). It must also pass muster with the AG, who doesnt have an official list.

The "high-cap" roster is a list of firearms which are considered "high capacity", and therefor require an LTC-A to possess for handguns, and atleast an LTC-B for long guns.

1) FID is shall issue. As far as Revere being "green", that means they should issue you whichever license you apply for, up to and including LTC-A ALP

2) I'm not sure about Revere, but I know Worcester requires two letters on business letterhead. You probably ought to ask the PD what their exact requirement is.

3) Alot of people on this board

4) The "approved" gun list is a list of handguns that have been tested and approved by the EOPS. In order to buy a handgun from an FFL holder in this state, it must be on this roster (except for those which were in-state before the law went into effect 10/98 i think). It must also pass muster with the AG, who doesnt have an official list.

The "high-cap" roster is a list of firearms which are considered "high capacity", and therefor require an LTC-A to possess for handguns, and atleast an LTC-B for long guns.

So based on your response to question 4, the only gun I can buy *most likely* will be on the "approved" gun list. I can't go to a gun shop and buy a high capacity gun? (A friend of mine had pointed me at the jericho 941 as a good gun).

Also, I guess my question 3, was in hopes of someone responding who would be willing to help me in that regard:)

So based on your response to question 4, the only gun I can buy *most likely* will be on the "approved" gun list. I can't go to a gun shop and buy a high capacity gun? (A friend of mine had pointed me at the jericho 941 as a good gun).

Also, I guess my question 3, was in hopes of someone responding who would be willing to help me in that regard:)

In order to buy a handgun from a dealer in MA, it must be on the EOPS approved firearms roster ("approved guns list"). It must also pass muster with the AG.

If the handgun in question is NOT on the high-cap roster/is not a high capacity firearm (just because its not on the roster doesn't mean it isn't one), an LTC-B will suffice to own it.

If it IS a high-cap and/or you wish to carry it, you will need an LTC-A (without restrictions to carry)

If you pay the $19 to become a paid member of NES, you get access to the members forum. One of the benefits is we regularly host members shoots, where a bunch of us get together to shoot each other's guns. There's a huge one coming up on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, about an hour's drive from Revere.

If you pay the $19 to become a paid member of NES, you get access to the members forum. One of the benefits is we regularly host members shoots, where a bunch of us get together to shoot each other's guns. There's a huge one coming up on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, about an hour's drive from Revere.

Any solutions other then become a forum member? I'm brand new here, and don't really want to spend money here just yet.

Well... here's how I see it... if your goal is to try out lots of firearms before buying one for yourself... then you have 2 choices...

1. go to Manchester Firing Line in NH... and rent any gun you want. But you'll pay $15 per lane/hour... + $15+ per box of ammo (you must buy their ammo)... + $20 per pistol.

So if you rent 1 pistol... your cost for the first hour will be $50. 2 pistols will be $70+

2. Give $19 to NES... become a green member... and come to our next NES shoot (Nov 29th) and shoot any gun you want. Usually we all bring some 9mm, 40, or 45 (or whatever calibers we think we'd try out). Even if we don't have the right caliber for the gun we want to try out... many/most members will let each other shoot it anyway. NES is a VERY generous bunch. [smile] And since you don't have a license yet... just show up and you'll be taken care of!

Just my opinion [grin]

Last edited:
Congrats for going green!

Go into the member section... and put your name in for the Member shoot. And you can bring your friends too.

I'll be there with my Sigs, Glocks, Colt, Kimber, HK... etc.

Some of us have too many guns to bring them all to the shoot... so if you have any requests... most would be happy to bring their guns for you to try. Just post the requests in the "Nov 29 Pumpkin Shoot - What's everyone bringing" thread.

Oh... and the LTC is what's required for you to own/transport. Not shoot. So you'll be fine to shoot what everyone's got. Just to give you an idea... Many of us are planning to bring friends/coworkers/family members who aren't firearms owners... to introduce them to firearms. So you won't be alone (non License holders).

Last edited:
As long as you're 21 or older, apply for the LTC and not the FID. Looking forward to meeting you at the shoot.

3) Is there anywhere/anyone I can get in touch with to try out a few guns to see what I like before I buy?

--L

American Firearms School in N. Attleboro allows you to rent guns and try them out before you get your license; they just require that an instructor be around when you first come in to show you safety stuff

Do I need to provide written references?

Go to the Revere PD and ask for an application for a License To Carry Firearms.

If they have any special requiremens (pertaining to references) they will be mentioned on a cover page they'll give you with the application.

Some departments used to require references specifically not from LEOs.

That link brings up no firearms info. Even if you run a search, you get links, but FAQS would not open.

There is NO statutory basis for any requirement for references besides providing the name and address of two on the application form. Period.

Revere appears to be straight-forward based upon the website.

HOWEVER, I know someone applying there and they and their spouse were told to provide the wholly-unauthorized letters.

I believe there were some restrictions, a la Worcester and Brookline's BS, about none from family members, etc.

What generally needs to be written in the letters? Do they need to be of a certain length? Do they need to be from employers or just close friends?

I am picturing a letter that says

"Dear So and So,
Lord1234 is a good person.

Sincerely,
Friend
"

I am picturing a letter that says

"Dear So and So,
Lord1234 is a good person.

Sincerely,
Friend"

I am picturing such a missive being dismissed out of hand as utterly meaningless.

How does the author know you are "a good person?" Relevant specifics are useful; vague encomiums are not.

Ok how about:

To Whom it May Concern:

I have known Lord1234 for ___ years. During this time he has shown nothing but the highest in moral fiber and character of person. I would not hesitate to grant him permission to own a firearm as I believe him to be a very responsible and trustworthy individual.

Signed,
ABCD

I'm trying to get an idea of what to ask my friends to write.

--L

Reading PD required 3 letters of reference (not from family), which had to explicitly state that they were written for the applicant, for the purpose of applying for an LTC.

Much better - but as an outline.

Let your friends write their own letters in their own words.

And say that you do NOT acknowledge the authority of the PD to require such letters; that said letters are provided in the spirit of cooperation and is not a waiver of rights, all of which are expressly reserved.

Much better - but as an outline.

Let your friends write their own letters in their own words.

And say that you do NOT acknowledge the authority of the PD to require such letters; that said letters are provided in the spirit of cooperation and is not a waiver of rights, all of which are expressly reserved.

Do I have my friends write something to the point of "not acknowledging" or do I just mention it to the officer at some point if they request the references?

holy carp.

welcome mi amigo, to yet another board we're both on lol.

You're in revere now? no kidding. well, let me know if ya wanna go shooting. i'm looking at a couple of local clubs (havent picked a place to join yet), and you're *very* local.

So, A bunch of friends and myself are planning on taking the safety course required to get an FID/LTC.

A few questions:

1) I live in Revere, MA. How tough will it be for me to get my FID/LTC? I saw that it is a "green" town.

2) Do I need to provide written references? If so, I see some people talk about having police provide references...I know 0 police officers, can I just have friends write me a reference? I'm an upstanding citizen, with nothing on my record other then a few speeding tickets.

4) Can someone explain the difference between the "high capacity gun list" and the "approved gun list"? Can I still buy one of the guns on the first list even if its not on the second list? I'm so confused.

Thanks in advance!
--L

Back
Top Bottom