Polymer 80

But - i really don’t understand how you can profess an interest in building from zero if you can’t complete an 80.
I view building a firearm in the same vein as building furniture. I can buy a table from Ikea, assemble it in 2 hours, and call it "Built by 40 Creedmoor". Alternatively, I can buy wood, cut it, shape it, drill it, glue it; and hopefully end up with a table. It's the latter view on "building" that I prescribe to.

You can do it all with a pair of snips a small hand drill and a Dremel tool. It’s almost impossible to mess it up I had my 12 year-old son drill the holes in one of the polymer 80s I built,
If you can hammer a nail you can build a polymer 80 kit.
I have seen(and shot) a PMF from Polymer80. My OCD flared up like crazy! The slide was not 100% parallel to the frame. The gap between the slide and the frame was so large, I could see all the way across! The holes were buggered or oval. The rear pin would start walking after two-three magazines. Magazine release would bite my supporting hand. I am sure the builder did not use proper tools and most likely used cheap hand tools. The point is, building quality requires quality tools, correct tools, and careful attention to detail. I don't think I want to get into building PMFs unless I can build them at the level of quality my OCD lets me.

I've bought from them in the past, AR 80% lowers & the GST-9 stuff but everything for some reason ships out of California I think not MA. Back when I was buying I noticed they were in MA so that's why I went with them figuring keep it local. I think I read somewhere that they are basically the same company as 80% Arms.
5D used to be in MA, but they moved to CA… for some reason.

I don't think I want to get into building PMFs unless I can build them at the level of quality my OCD lets me.
Sounds like you'd be great at it, then.

Buy good tools
Buy some plastic or metal blocks and sheets to learn on
Buy a handful of disposable blanks to learn on
Build your skills
Then build a PMF you can be proud of.

I view building a firearm in the same vein as building furniture. I can buy a table from Ikea, assemble it in 2 hours, and call it "Built by 40 Creedmoor". Alternatively, I can buy wood, cut it, shape it, drill it, glue it; and hopefully end up with a table. It's the latter view on "building" that I prescribe to.
So how many grooves are you going to cut when you get around to rifling the barrel, or are you planning to go polygonal?

I have seen(and shot) a PMF from Polymer80. My OCD flared up like crazy! The slide was not 100% parallel to the frame. The gap between the slide and the frame was so large, I could see all the way across! The holes were buggered or oval. The rear pin would start walking after two-three magazines. Magazine release would bite my supporting hand. I am sure the builder did not use proper tools and most likely used cheap hand tools. The point is, building quality requires quality tools, correct tools, and careful attention to detail. I don't think I want to get into building PMFs unless I can build them at the level of quality my OCD lets me.
So what you’re saying is that you’re not building anything.

This is the sighting target i shot less than an hour ago with a firearm based on an 80% lower. Required vertical adjustment and a little patience. To be frank, I pretty much suck with a rifle; but I’ll take this.

AEB90E26-C1A1-4223-A2D8-D2D0CC898F31.jpeg

So what you’re saying is that you’re not building anything.
Yep. At least not firearms
This is the sighting target i shot less than an hour ago with a firearm based on an 80% lower. Required vertical adjustment and a little patience. To be frank, I pretty much suck with a rifle; but I’ll take this.
That's some sweet grouping! What kind of firearm were shooting?

Whose barrel and muzzle device did you use?
Noveske barrel
I don’t remember the muzzle brake mfg
Daniel Defense upper, bcg, stock and grip.
BCM charging handle
American Gold trigger
Harris bipod
Blue Force Gear sling
Strike Force 1-6x24 scope, somebody’s poly quick adjust lever

Noveske barrel
I don’t remember the muzzle brake mfg
Daniel Defense upper, bcg, stock and grip.
BCM charging handle
American Gold trigger
Harris bipod
Blue Force Gear sling
Strike Force 1-6x24 scope, somebody’s poly quick adjust lever
Thanks !

That makes no sense. [banghead]
Well I did a little googling and if what is on google is true it seems that 80% arms and 5D are basically the same company (look at the jigs for the 80% AR lowers same just different colors) and 80% Arms is or I should say was in CA so that is why they probably shipped my stuff from CA back when I bought it. Back in June of 2022 80% Arms announced they were moving to Texas. So who knows where 5D is now located. They still show a MA address but maybe that is just a small room for their accountant.

Well I did a little googling and if what is on google is true it seems that 80% arms and 5D are basically the same company (look at the jigs for the 80% AR lowers same just different colors) and 80% Arms is or I should say was in CA so that is why they probably shipped my stuff from CA back when I bought it. Back in June of 2022 80% Arms announced they were moving to Texas. So who knows where 5D is now located. They still show a MA address but maybe that is just a small room for their accountant.
Their phone # is in the 508 area code still.
According to business info, it's located at 125 Flanders Rd, Westborough. Quick look at Google Street view, one can see that the building company listing sign on the side of the road no longer shows 5D tactical as one of the tenants:
1679580383837.png

Meh. My daughter's lived in CA for the last 10 years but her phone still has a 508 area code.

My Goddaughter's lived in MA for the past 17 years and her phone still has a CA area code.
A business number probably isn’t a cell phone though.

A business number probably isn’t a cell phone though.
No, but if you transfer your number to a VOIP carrier, you can take an existing ground number to another location. It's valuable if you don't want to deal with customers having to learn a new number.

Similarly, you can move your existing ground number to a non-physical carrier and have that carrier forward all calls to a new ground number. We did this when we moved our office last year, allowing us to set up a virtual switchboard system on the old number (which no longer has a physical address) to forward to people's cell phones instead of extensions, and it's cheap as hell.

No, but if you transfer your number to a VOIP carrier, you can take an existing ground number to another location. It's valuable if you don't want to deal with customers having to learn a new number.

Similarly, you can move your existing ground number to a non-physical carrier and have that carrier forward all calls to a new ground number. We did this when we moved our office last year, allowing us to set up a virtual switchboard system on the old number (which no longer has a physical address) to forward to people's cell phones instead of extensions, and it's cheap as hell.

Ah I had no idea, thanks!

Voip is an interesting thing.

I deal with it day in and day out

Meh. My daughter's lived in CA for the last 10 years but her phone still has a 508 area code.

My Goddaughter's lived in MA for the past 17 years and her phone still has a CA area code.
But here's the thing: when I looked up their CA address, it pointed to a rent-a-mailbox type of business in a strip mall. I doubt they run a machine shop next to a grocery store in a shopping mall. I think @Romokid is right: the business has been absorbed by 80 percent arms, and they just run the 5D website, but the operation is all by 80 percent.

But here's the thing: when I looked up their CA address, it pointed to a rent-a-mailbox type of business in a strip mall. I doubt they run a machine shop next to a grocery store in a shopping mall. I think @Romokid is right: the business has been absorbed by 80 percent arms, and they just run the 5D website, but the operation is all by 80 percent.
Don’t make me buy more 80% lowers from 5D to see where they ship from, I’m running out of room in my second safe now

Just received an order from 5D. It came from Ft. Worth, TX and they included a little blurb on Vanderstok v. Garland. It shows that they are part of Blackhawk Manufacturing Group Inc. So I looked up their FFL:

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 4.00.18 PM.png
So yes, 80 Percent Arms and 5D Tactical are one in the same.

Just received an order from 5D. It came from Ft. Worth, TX and they included a little blurb on Vanderstok v. Garland. It shows that they are part of Blackhawk Manufacturing Group Inc. So I looked up their FFL:

View attachment 767648
What is strange is that sometimes I can get a better price from one vs the other as I have ordered from both.

What is strange is that sometimes I can get a better price from one vs the other as I have ordered from both.

Maybe they dabble in dynamic pricing. The type that tracks IP address and cookies to evaluate what price to present you. A price could be different looking at the product a few times on one website vs. the first time on another. Just a guess, but possible. There's also a chance that they want the two entities to seen as different. Best competition to have is yourself.

Maybe they dabble in dynamic pricing. The type that tracks IP address and cookies to evaluate what price to present you. A price could be different looking at the product a few times on one website vs. the first time on another. Just a guess, but possible. There's also a chance that they want the two entities to seen as different. Best competition to have is yourself.
nord vpn to the rescue.

View attachment 767648
Wasn't there some going back and forth with people on which one of the two had a better jig? And wasn't a member here working for 5D?

Back
Top Bottom