POLL: Gew98M bolt MM or CMP Field Grade Springfield M1 Garand: Range Report.

Gew98M bolt MM vs. CMP Field Grade M1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Having completed the Appleseed shoot and joined the Rev. War Vets. Assn., I am now CMP elligible (and have filled in the paper work!).

Once my funds are secure, I will have enough for a second rifle after I finish the M17 purchase.

Do I get the true bolt MM DWM 1916 Gew98M WaA6 (Simson/Suhl) c. 1936 rework

or...

CMP Field Grade Springfield M1 Garand

Price is close enough as makes no difference.

Last edited:
No, I do not currently have or have ever had a M1. This would be my first.

I think I know where the poll is going; new question, how bad will the Gew98M get beaten?

MS

In that case, I would say the Gew98M is done for. :)

Which list sounds better?

1. 1903
2. M17
3. 1903A3
4. Gew98

or

1. 1903
2. M17
3. 1903A3
4. M1 Garand

I think the last list completes your collection of 30-06 US Military Rifles.

Last edited:
I just got a f. grade M1. I's nice if you only getting one m1. I would go for a $1100.00 one. They are mint.

If I was just getting one, well yes, but $525 is committed to the M17. So I can only afford a field grade. I might swing a service grade, but they've been out for going on 4 months. If I can get a nice field grade, I would be happy.

MS

My F. grade shoots ok. Mix parts keep them in the black. When I got my higher end one was mint. It was so nice had to get a 2nd one. Its like money in the bank. They come with a nice gun case. I think they are coming to the end of the line with m1's.

I vote for the garand BUT would try to squeeze for the CMP special especially if you want a decent shooter.
The service grade specials are nice also but @ 100 swing for a new barrel I would go CMP special.

If Its all you can muster get the FG M1, when the service grades come back on line they WILL be more money.

I replied 98 just because the supply of Garands is large and steady. While Mausers are more available since the Russian Capture guns hit the market, it's still arguably the most influential battle rifle of the first half of the 20th century.

So buy both!

Garand.

Paperwork is notarized. Now I'm waiting on the money...

MS

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me charge it is as there is the 30-60 day wait, and they don't charge you until they ship. Get my name a month ahead into the queue...

Last edited:
Following the other field grade CMP Garand discussion. They have no 'service grades' now, but have 'service grade Springfield special' for $895, and 'special grade' for $995. Seems like both are extensively rebuilt with new CMP wood, the $895 with 'collector grade' metal and the $995 with new metal.

Not sure where to go here. All I want is a nice looking plinker with USGI wood and hopefully a WWII receiver.

I can't process/send until January, anyway.

MS

The reason I'm going to go with the field grade is the wood. I got one with new CMP wood and while it is nice I wanted GI wood. I like the been there done that look and the nostalgia of it. I'm mailing out my order in the morning. I did print it and fill it out on the 3rd when I said I was going to.

Following the other field grade CMP Garand discussion. They have no 'service grades' now, but have 'service grade Springfield special' for $895, and 'special grade' for $995. Seems like both are extensively rebuilt with new CMP wood, the $895 with 'collector grade' metal and the $995 with new metal.

Not sure where to go here. All I want is a nice looking plinker with USGI wood and hopefully a WWII receiver.

I can't process/send until January, anyway.

MS

At those prices you can probably pick one up at the Marlboro show at the end of January or the Manchester, NH show 1/14-15

Back
Top Bottom