POLL: Gew98M bolt MM or CMP Field Grade Springfield M1 Garand: Range Report.

Gew98M bolt MM vs. CMP Field Grade M1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whats odd is I ordered the field grade and it's a 5.8 million SN. That's pretty high for a field grade. I just got a second shipping confirmation a few minutes ago.

not really. got to remember alot of these were used in basic ect till the 80's, and some high numbers saw alot of use. had a 6mil that had a well worn original barrel, that could tell was a training rifle.

Well, they "never got" my email indicating my preference for a service grade. So now I'm another week behind...

MS

Well, scratch that. Somehow they shipped today...Hmm....Alabama to Massachusetts...

Last edited:
Well, they "never got" my email indicating my preference for a service grade. So now I'm another week behind...

MS

Well, scratch that. Somehow they shipped today...Hmm....Alabama to Massachusetts...

All guns ship overnight You are supposed to get it before 10:00am. Mine arrived at my office at 10:49 this morning. I hope it looks good. Everyone there knows what comes to me in long boxes. If it's a heavy small box they also know what it is. Even the delivery guys know what I get.

SHIPPED; here tomorrow...hmm...sick day...

Ah, I can't, they're using hydrochloric acid tomorrow in class. It will be there when I get home.

MS

Just make sure someone is home to sign for it. If not you can have it held at one of their facilities and pick it up after work. The bonus is you get a nice CMP gun case with it. Oh and don't forget to send in the card for a free gun lock. It will be in the package with the certificate and other stuff.

My wife is now a stay-at-home mom for the time being now that we've an adopted son.

I asked her to email me the serial number to see if they did give me a WWII dated receiver...I can't wait to get home for that!

MS

It's here! It's here! CMP M1 Garand, service grade. 44 days from 1st post.

I thought I'd never get one, and it looks incredible. Pics are as it came; stock is greasy and we'll need a takedown and cleaning.

U.S. Springfield, serial# 1,080,190; December 1942 production started at 1,008,900 and ended at 1,090,310.
Springfield barrel 12/1954; ME: 1+, TE 2+.
Walnut stock with circle P proof, uncertain left side proof. Beech handguard? Lighter, flecked wood.
HRA gas lug.
Excellent barrel, clean and bright.
Original P.K.W. 1944 marked web sling from LTC.
Next step: learn how to take it down. I'll read the enclosed manual another day.

036.jpg

030.jpg

025.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Sweet looking M1. I think the M1 should be the anchor of any WWII milsurp collection. It looks like you got a really good one. Congrats. It will look super nice next to your carbine as well. :)

I hope mines that nice. Did that sling come on it or is it one you added?

Check out CMP's instructions on field stripping the M1. They are clear and easy to follow. Field strip that thing

Here is another site to help you with your M1. It tells you things to inspect while its broken down. http://www.garandgear.com/inspecting-your-m1-garand

From what I see it has the Greek parkerizing on it. The muzzle and throat wear are well into the service grade level. I'm not sure you didn't get a service grade at a field grade price.

Sweet looking rifle! This or a m1 carbine will be my next purchase when I save up enough cash.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I hope mines that nice. Did that sling come on it or is it one you added?

Check out CMP's instructions on field stripping the M1. They are clear and easy to follow. Field strip that thing

Here is another site to help you with your M1. It tells you things to inspect while its broken down. http://www.garandgear.com/inspecting-your-m1-garand

From what I see it has the Greek parkerizing on it. The muzzle and throat wear are well into the service grade level. I'm not sure you didn't get a service grade at a field grade price.

I added the sling; I ordered it a month ago from LTC; also got one for my 03-A3.

This is a service grade. With 1+ and 2+ I did extremely well by that standard of 3 and 5.

Would that cartouche on the left side be Greek? Looks like a lion or eagle with a couple of stars.
**GB says that is an Eagle/star proof, US stock, HRA.

MS

Last edited:
I couldn't stand that greasy feeling on the stock. So without dismounting the action, I gave the wood a careful cleaning of mineral spirits to remove the light coat of gunk, and then rubbed in two coats of cut BLO. I can sleep easy tonight.

038.jpg

MS

Last edited:
I couldn't stand that greasy feeling on the stock. So without dismounting the action, I gave the wood a careful cleaning of mineral spirits to remove the light coat of gunk, and then rubbed in two coats of cut BLO. I can sleep easy tonight.

038.jpg

MS

You should heat it up a little by placing the stock alone in some brown grocery store bags above a radiator or use a hair dryer to warm it up and let some of the cosmolene seep out, then wipe it down with mineral spirits and apply BLO.
Its probably gonna sweat like a pig the first warm day you shoot it if you trap it all in now.

Field stripped the M1. Internals seem all HRA; stock, trigger group, safety, op rod. Very clean inside; no real need to clean.

007-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Question; when putting back the bayonet lug/front sight assembly, I notice I can only tighten the gas tube lock so much before putting on the gas plug. Seems I am a quarter turn short from snugness; leaving a little play in the forestock. Should there be? I have noticed this play on all M1's I have handled at gun shows.

MS

Last edited:
You should still take the trigger group apart and re-grease it. That old grease gets gummy and can make things not work as easy as they could. The grease will also collect dust and dirt from the years of storage.

As far as the gas cylinder goes that is normal. You should not take it off very often because it loosens up from doing so. If they become loose you can always peen the splines to make a tight fit.

The last Service grade I got from the CMP was all HRA internal parts too.

Got to the range today. Clear, 18 degrees, light breeze. My range does not allow rifles at the 25 yard range, so I had to try to sight it in at 50 yards. Mechanically the rifle functioned perfectly; no misfeeds with 6 clips of mixed 70's HXP. For 4 clips I had to help the bolt forward, twice the rifle seated the first round on its own.

I couldn't hit the paper at 50 yards and I couldn't really see the bullet strikes. I thought I was hitting right, so I walked down to about 25 yards and shot standing with hasty sling and starting hitting, low and right. The last two clips gave the two horizontal lines of strikes leading off the paper to the right. The rear sight is almost totally right now. It's probably me, but I don't like the rear sight being so far right. I can't lay my hands on my Appleseed correction chart, but if I remember correctly, I'm not coming back to my NPA and/or forcing the rifle back onto the target.

002-16.jpg

MS

You had a similar problem with your M1 carbine. I'm wondering if it is your sight picture. If your rifle is that far off at 25 yerds it will never hit the target at 100 or 200 yards. Here is a photo of the correct sight picture. It's the best I could find.

trainer_all_sights.jpg

Back
Top Bottom