POLL: Gew98M bolt MM or CMP Field Grade Springfield M1 Garand: Range Report.

Gew98M bolt MM vs. CMP Field Grade M1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The reason I'm going to go with the field grade is the wood. I got one with new CMP wood and while it is nice I wanted GI wood. I like the been there done that look and the nostalgia of it. I'm mailing out my order in the morning. I did print it and fill it out on the 3rd when I said I was going to.

So did I, notarized on the 2nd. Just waiting for a silly little detail; money.

MS

I have to wait. I'm selling a rifle to fast fund the M17 I posted earlier. The funds I was expecting this week (would have funded both at once) have been delayed another month.

MS

Сейчас все, что вам нужно, это AK47 или AK74

[hmmm]

Kanst du in deutsch schriben? Oder Englisch?

MS

It's the email telling me they received my order. It basically says they received my order and expect it in at least 30-60 days. It's been nicknamed a DBU for Don't Bother Us. To keep people from calling checking on orders because they are too impatient.

Well, then I am waiting for my DBU. USPS says they delivered my letter yesterday. So DBU also means that you 'passed' all the requirements?

MS

CMP sales called me when I forgot to get my order notorized....you will also get info on E store account set up. Then you can order accesories on line

400 rounds of loose HXP 30-06 shipped today. I bought 5 USGI M1 clips as they were out on en-bloc ammo. Rifle comes with one, so 6 is enough to plink with.

MS

sweet! I have not shot my garand in a while, CMP fun shoot @ hanson rod and gun sunday the 15th 12:15 shooting starts at 1pm.....might have to break her out. I have a new RRA NM AR thats been taking over latly

sweet! I have not shot my garand in a while, CMP fun shoot @ hanson rod and gun sunday the 15th 12:15 shooting starts at 1pm.....might have to break her out. I have a new RRA NM AR thats been taking over latly

One problem; ammo gets here TH, but no Garand!

MS

One problem; ammo gets here TH, but no Garand!

MS

Mine has been in limbo for over a week now. It doesn't matter anyways because it will be home long before I am. I had it shipped to my office just in case nobody is home to receive it. Thats one of the great things about the CMP, they can ship it anywhere you'd like.

I heard bad things from a friend. His gun club bought 3 field grades for the club and returned them all as the muzzle erosion was excessive - they all swallowed a 30-06 round.

MS

I hear bad things about the CMP rifles all the time. 99% are untrue. If a rifle does not meet the description they will replace it. I'm pretty sure using a 30-06 round is not an official measurement either. All their description says is "Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge."

The guys that run the hanson CMP fun shoot have all the gadgets, im guessing a field grade might have enough muzzle wear to almost swallow the bullet test, wont make it a terrible shooter. Come down to hanson on the 15th. Check out what they have for rifles. Steve will let you know which rifles the club has are what grade and you can check it from there.

Ammo came today, 400 loose rounds. A large handful of the HXP showed 75% 1971, with a few '75, '77, and '78. One 1965.

MS

CMP called me today and said my order was off backorder and being processed. I had noted in my order that I wanted to upgrade from field grade to service grade (regular) if they became available. At this time 2,000 regular service grades are available (with the price increase; $625). So I said YES; supersize that order of fries. Now my 1 Garand can be a nicer one.

MS

Last edited:
I thought about upgrading mine too, but I decided I would stay with the field grade. I wanted GI wood. I have one with new wood and I like the been there done that look. Mine has been sitting there for a while now. I thought it would have shipped already. I know it's 30 days from my order date.

I got shipping confirmation today for my M1. It will arrive at my office tomorrow and I will not be there for a couple more weeks to get it. I should call the CMP and have it redirected to Virginia where I am working. Then I can at least strip it down and take photos. I won't, but I could have.

Back
Top Bottom