Pepper spray permits/ view from a LO

In light of the brutal slaying of Amy Lord, people are now talking about the ridiculous requirement for a permit to carry pepper spray in Massachusetts. As a LO, here's my take on the situation.

Obviously, I don't feel that any permit should be required. Self defense is a god given right that MUST be recognized. Has anyone ever been butchered by a can of pepper spray? Not that I'm aware of. However, many rapes, murders, assaults, etc have been avoided from its use. That being said, why can't we eliminate any fee or licensing for pepper spray? It should be available at any convenience store. We should eliminate any background check. If the state is still worried, then why not pass legislation to enhance the penalty for using pepper spray in the commission of a crime? In fact, the whole idea is such a no brainer, I'm going to call my state rep on Monday and suggest it.

At the very least, we should remove the two items that hold up the background. The DMH review and the AFIS check. Without these two items, the licensing process would be WEEKS faster. In fact, if a permit was still required, lets also remove the MIRCS people from the equation, and make a locally issued permit. This would make the whole process about 15 minutes long.

This is probably going to happen when comprehensive 'reform' happens in September.
The two things I see being given to us as a carrot are no license for pepper spray (over 18 so screw the youth) and FID license application before 15 so you can hunt at 15.

Even in Kalifornia you'll find it hanging on hooks in the check-out line next to the gum and batteries. You'll need to show I.D. to prove you are 18, but that's all. You can carry it anywhere, any time without papers in your pocket.

Self reliance is a cancer in US today, so say the moonbats. That's why you need a permit for everything.

This is probably going to happen when comprehensive 'reform' happens in September.
The two things I see being given to us as a carrot are no license for pepper spray (over 18 so screw the youth) and FID license application before 15 so you can hunt at 15.

I wish I could share your optimism.

I have an idea. Move out of that commie shit hole. MA is a lost cause.

Why did you leave Worcester? We've got City Square, possible slots coming, a giant H problem, our own strain of herpes, and Main South, and no guns for good guys. WHATS NOT TO LOVE?

I have an idea. Move out of that commie shit hole. MA is a lost cause.

I did that. But, I still have to drive back for work, visit relatives and just do something fun for the day. But, I am defenseless, can't get a pepper spray permit as a non resident, and no way am I bothering with the restricted NH LTC nonsense. So I still have an interest in the outcome.

There is plenty of room up here. I was only a gun owner in MA for a little over 2 years, and that was enough for me. I got out of there, and will never go back.

and you had the nerve to not take me with you.

send money back to me behind the iron curtain so i can pay this ****in' mortgage down and then join you free men with free men antics.

If the state is still worried, then why not pass legislation to enhance the penalty for using pepper spray in the commission of a crime? In fact, the whole idea is such a no brainer, I'm going to call my state rep on Monday and suggest it.
I would bet they are reluctant because incarceration costs lots of money. It is cheaper to regulate then to convict and sentence.

Just my .02

StevensMarksman

In light of the brutal slaying of Amy Lord, people are now talking about the ridiculous requirement for a permit to carry pepper spray in Massachusetts. As a LO, here's my take on the situation.

Obviously, I don't feel that any permit should be required. Self defense is a god given right that MUST be recognized. Has anyone ever been butchered by a can of pepper spray? Not that I'm aware of. However, many rapes, murders, assaults, etc have been avoided from its use. That being said, why can't we eliminate any fee or licensing for pepper spray? It should be available at any convenience store. We should eliminate any background check. If the state is still worried, then why not pass legislation to enhance the penalty for using pepper spray in the commission of a crime? In fact, the whole idea is such a no brainer, I'm going to call my state rep on Monday and suggest it.

Bill H2145 has already been passed favorably out of committee. Contact your reps about that

I would never cite someone who had pepper spray who didn't have a permit, unless it's some shit bag who has no use for it besides to start problems( ie ) a drug dealer, sex offender ect.. I'm not going to cite a female who has a key chain pepper spray who is just tryin to not to be raped and murdered. What would I say? " sorry mam, I know your scared or being killed, but you must give the state there $25.00 and go through a complete background check, so in the mean time here's your ticket for $300.00 and try not to be raped. This is funny because my girlfriends sister lives in the Boston area and recently obtained some pepper spray..no clue how ;)? And she was worried about not having the permit. I told her if she is that worried go to Boston pd and apply for the permit but be ready to wait months in the mean time. And told her that no officer who is not a ball buster is going to gig her for a little key chain pepper spray especially after that whole thing in Boston the other week. Worry about yourself and if your ever have to use it and they gig you for it, atleast your alive to pay the ticket...I don't know about your but my life is worth more than 300$

I would never cite someone who had pepper spray who didn't have a permit, unless it's some shit bag who has no use for it besides to start problems( ie ) a drug dealer, sex offender ect.. I'm not going to cite a female who has a key chain pepper spray who is just tryin to not to be raped and murdered. What would I say? " sorry mam, I know your scared or being killed, but you must give the state there $25.00 and go through a complete background check, so in the mean time here's your ticket for $300.00 and try not to be raped. This is funny because my girlfriends sister lives in the Boston area and recently obtained some pepper spray..no clue how ;)? And she was worried about not having the permit. I told her if she is that worried go to Boston pd and apply for the permit but be ready to wait months in the mean time. And told her that no officer who is not a ball buster is going to gig her for a little key chain pepper spray especially after that whole thing in Boston the other week. Worry about yourself and if your ever have to use it and they gig you for it, atleast your alive to pay the ticket...I don't know about your but my life is worth more than 300$

Very well said, and is exactly how I feel about. My daughter who is only 12 and well supervised at this point WILL have it when the time comes that she is more autonomous whether or not it is approved by the powers that be. Her safety is of utmost importance to my wife and myself so if we need to bend the rules to that end, so be it. I also fully plan to introduce her to the world of firearms as well when the time comes, even though my wife isn't quite on that page yet. I have already started educating her on safe handling, as well as explaining how they operate mechanically. Haven't been able to bring her to the range yet, but plan to in the near future once I can convince my wife that she is old enough to be educated in firearms use safely.

The local media is beginning to spin this and saying, (I'm paraphrasing this): "We have to think this out carefully. It wouldn't be in the best interest of the community, if 'anyone' could purchase pepper spray. We could be inviting assaults on citizens by people who should not have access to it."... Huh?!?

Do they even listen to what they are saying??? [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom