Pepper spray permits/ view from a LO

Pepperspray is great if your attacker is a f*cking wussy.

While I agree with you in general, it is better than nothing for someone not comfortable/not able to carry a firearm, and if it even buys a few seconds for escape it can make all the difference in the world.

Pepperspray is great if your attacker is a f*cking wussy.

A recently discharged Marine told me half jokingly that he'd rather get shot than get pepper sprayed again. He also said it just tingled a bit for the first 20 seconds, which is kind of worrisome.

A recently discharged Marine told me half jokingly that he'd rather get shot than get pepper sprayed again. He also said it just tingled a bit for the first 20 seconds, which is kind of worrisome.

I guess what I should have said is: There are rapists/ murderers/ thugs in general who are only slightly annoyed by pepper spray. I don't know how the heck you can "condition" yourself to be mostly unaffected by that stuff, but it happens.

I guess what I should have said is: There are rapists/ murderers/ thugs in general who are only slightly annoyed by pepper spray. I don't know how the heck you can "condition" yourself to be mostly unaffected by that stuff, but it happens.

Mace needs to be made available to the general public again. It's a blend of pepper spray and liquid tear gas. It was banned from general use because of the claim that the chemical in tear gas was too dangerous and may injure the person being sprayed??? [rolleyes]

Mace needs to be made available to the general public again. It's a blend of pepper spray and liquid tear gas. It was banned from general use because of the claim that the chemical in tear gas was too dangerous and may injure the person being sprayed??? [rolleyes]

I think traditional mace was CN (though there were some CS versions as well), however, "Mace" is a brand name used for a variety of products ... including pepper only spray.

The nastiest stuff that I ever used is Sabre. We keep two at home and my girlfriend carries one in her purse. Just returned from an overnight stay in Ogunquit, ME (celebrated her birthday!) and on the way back, stopped at KTP to pick up three new canisters. The three that we had expired last April, so I decided to use them for refresher training. I told her to use short bursts and we targeted some parking signs in our condo parking lot. Some of that spray blew back and landed on my bare forearms. It hurt like hell! I can only imagine what a burst to the face would feel like.

I think traditional mace was CN (though there were some CS versions as well), however, "Mace" is a brand name used for a variety of products ... including pepper only spray.

The Mace brand canister I have in my hand says on the label, it is a blend of oleoresin capsicum (pepper concentrate) and omega chloracetophenone (CN or tear gas).

I'm not doubting you, just adding info.

The Mace brand canister I have in my hand says on the label, it is a blend of oleoresin capsicum (pepper concentrate) and omega chloracetophenone (CN or tear gas).

I'm not doubting you, just adding info.
Bill, just checked the label on the Sabre canister that we keep in the bedroom. The ingredients include oleoresin capsicum red pepper and CS military grade tear gas, plus some type of invisible UV dye that can be used by police to identify a fleeing suspect. Like I said, nasty stuff!

Readily available now, even BP sold it last I saw.

Sabre Red is real nasty stuff and contains both CS and OC in mixture.

Len, is that what we have? The canister is black, with white and some red lettering on the sides of it. Like I said, it hurt! Felt like hot cooking oil splattering on my bare forearms when it hit!

Last time I asked at a LGS they told me they could only get pepper spray and I would need to go out of state to get the more potent stuff. This must have changed (?), or they were blowing smoke? This was 3 years ago, so I've gone to NH or ME ever since.

Len, is that what we have? The canister is black, with white and some red lettering on the sides of it. Like I said, it hurt! Felt like hot cooking oil splattering on my bare forearms when it hit!

Tom,

Yes, that is the stuff.

When I was researching what to carry (some years ago) on LE forums, this product stood out above the rest. Couldn't find it in MA gun shops, but bought it at the Holbrook gun show.

Last time I asked at a LGS they told me they could only get pepper spray and I would need to go out of state to get the more potent stuff. This must have changed (?), or they were blowing smoke? This was 3 years ago, so I've gone to NH or ME ever since.

I'll bet BP has had it for 2 or 3 years now, in lower part of handgun case near the starter pistols. I was very surprised to see it there. Unsure who else in MA sells it.

Your guy was blowing smoke. Most of the stuff sold in MA gun shops is inferior product. Although not a pleasant shopping experience usually, the cop shops are the better places to find good chemical sprays . . . of course at straight MSRP however.

To the OP thank you for speaking out. There really is no need to enhance the penalties for the unlawful use of pepper spray, There is already "Assault and Battery by means of a dangerous weapon". Never give the legislature any further ideas, As it will not come out as you proposed. This should also apply to the small hand held "hot shot" tazers.

"Enhanced penalties" are PR bait for low information voters. Just like "hate crimes". Is a person any more or less dead because of the color of their skin? If a black person kills another black person are they less dead than if a white person killed him? The whole thing is political theater.

The best illustration of this was back when G.W. Bush was Governor of Texas. James Byrd, a black man, was murdered by three white men. They were caught, convicted, and two were sentenced to death. During the 2000 Presidential campaign a reporter asked him if they could have been more seriously punished if Texas had hate crime laws.

His answer was "We're going to execute them, what more seriously punishment do you want?"

A murder is a murder, no matter what the cause, the race of the victim, or even the circumstances. The punishment should be the same.

Sorry for the thread drift.

This is correct. Before Pepper Spray, Mace was tear gas, CN or CS. Pepper Spray was originally called Oleoresin Capsicum, or OC. Now it's all generically called Mace.

Thanks to the folks who mentioned Red Sabre and Bass Pro. Time for a road trip. My wife has her LTC, but hasn't decided if she really wants to carry yet. I didn't think about getting her mace, but it's a good idea. Then I have to get her to a "Women on Target" event, but that's a different project.

I really hope that they deregulate Mace because then a lot of women I know are going to be getting presents!

This is correct. Before Pepper Spray, Mace was tear gas, CN or CS. Pepper Spray was originally called Oleoresin Capsicum, or OC. Now it's all generically called Mace.

Thanks to the folks who mentioned Red Sabre and Bass Pro. Time for a road trip. My wife has her LTC, but hasn't decided if she really wants to carry yet. I didn't think about getting her mace, but it's a good idea. Then I have to get her to a "Women on Target" event, but that's a different project.

I really hope that they deregulate Mace because then a lot of women I know are going to be getting presents!
Well, we purchased the "red" Sabre at KTP two days ago. The price was $9.99 per canister. I purchased three: one for the kitchen, one for the bedroom and one for her to carry in her purse. She has no FID or LTC but has been carrying this spray for years without a problem. The expired canisters were the ones that we used for practice and the stuff is still very nasty! It really hurt me when some of the blowback spray landed on my bare skin!

At the very least, we should remove the two items that hold up the background. The DMH review and the AFIS check. Without these two items, the licensing process would be WEEKS faster. In fact, if a permit was still required, lets also remove the MIRCS people from the equation, and make a locally issued permit. This would make the whole process about 15 minutes long.

The permit requirement should be destroyed entirely. Anything else is still full retard/ludicrous. Whoever came up with that requirement should be raped and then shot and/or beaten to death, but they're probably some old crone whose already dead or is in a nursing home slobbering in a cup. Even many of the most communist states in the US don't have the requirement.

-Mike

The permit requirement should be destroyed entirely. Anything else is still full retard/ludicrous. Whoever came up with that requirement should be raped and then shot and/or beaten to death, but they're probably some old crone whose already dead or is in a nursing home slobbering in a cup.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

The permit requirement should be destroyed entirely. Anything else is still full retard/ludicrous. Whoever came up with that requirement should be raped and then shot and/or beaten to death, but they're probably some old crone whose already dead or is in a nursing home slobbering in a cup.

-Mike
Mike, I think that the pol who came up with that stupid law is probably in a nursing home with a nurse diapering his/her ass and ramming a catheter tube up the private parts. Has been in effect for decades. I remember it from the 1970s. Back then, you needed a FID for a basic Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and a LTC for a Crossman BB pistol. Well, maybe we did make a bit of progress? Can't be jailed for having an unlicensed air gun anymore (LOL!).

Mike, I think that the pol who came up with that stupid law is probably in a nursing home with a nurse diapering his/her ass and ramming a catheter tube up the private parts. Has been in effect for decades. I remember it from the 1970s. Back then, you needed a FID for a basic Daisy Red Ryder BB gun and a LTC for a Crossman BB pistol. Well, maybe we did make a bit of progress? Can't be jailed for having an unlicensed air gun anymore (LOL!).

Wow, I never knew that about the FID/LTC requirements for BB/pellet guns back then. I guess I'm lucky I never became a pp by "ignorance of the law"[laugh]

Well, we purchased the "red" Sabre at KTP two days ago. The price was $9.99 per canister. I purchased three: one for the kitchen, one for the bedroom and one for her to carry in her purse. She has no FID or LTC but has been carrying this spray for years without a problem. The expired canisters were the ones that we used for practice and the stuff is still very nasty! It really hurt me when some of the blowback spray landed on my bare skin!

Just a heads up, when OC "expires", it doesn't mean it's any less potent. The propellant is what expires, not the OC itself. So expired OC will be just as painful, but won't spray as far.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

I think I read up on this at one time, and the combo stuff is supposed to be the best, like Len and Tom said.

That said, I think I have "Pepper Gard", or something like that. This also looks potent: WildFire Pepper Spray

Yep back in the 70's I wanted a Daisy BB gun and my father had to get his FID. We walked into the police station and the cop said "here about the BB gun sit over there, so we did. 5 min later found out the other people there had kids who were caught shooting each other with bb guns. So then the cop gives my Dad the form and they both had a laugh over it. Best pepper spray I ever saw was on that doomsday show. It was a anti bear can and it was huge and bad ass one hit and two guys were covered head to toe.

Yep back in the 70's I wanted a Daisy BB gun and my father had to get his FID. We walked into the police station and the cop said "here about the BB gun sit over there, so we did. 5 min later found out the other people there had kids who were caught shooting each other with bb guns. So then the cop gives my Dad the form and they both had a laugh over it. Best pepper spray I ever saw was on that doomsday show. It was a anti bear can and it was huge and bad ass one hit and two guys were covered head to toe.
It was no joke. People in the Greater Lawrence area were regularly getting arrested for possession of a firearm without an FID. If anyone took the time to read the police log or court records, it turned out that the "firearm" was an air gun. People bought them over the border in NH for themselves and their kids all of the time and brought them into MA, ignorant of the fact that they faced a potential one-year jail sentence under Bartley-Fox. Some actually did go to jail, so the prosecutors and judges were serious about this. I had my Daisy 880 for a few months before I found out about the FID requirement and ended up obtaining my FID for this air rifle.

Back in the mid-1970s I was not aware that one needed an FID or LTC to buy airguns per MGL.

However, when I bought a pellet-pistol at Ivanhoe's in Watertown Square, they insisted on my LTC (I had both LTC and FID) and did an FA-10 on it. Still have my copy of the FA-10.

Back in the mid-1970s I was not aware that one needed an FID or LTC to buy airguns per MGL.

However, when I bought a pellet-pistol at Ivanhoe's in Watertown Square, they insisted on my LTC (I had both LTC and FID) and did an FA-10 on it. Still have my copy of the FA-10.
Actually, one of my friends found out by accident. He tried to buy some BBs and pellets for his .177 caliber Crosman 760 air rifle at the (now long defunct) K-Mart in North Andover. He did not have an FID and the store refused to sell it to him. He contacted the North Andover police and they told him that he needed an FID for the Crosman rifle and a LTC for any type of CO2 or air pistol. He passed the info along to me. Meanwhile, I was noticing all of the arrests in the Greater Lawrence area for unlicensed air gun possession. Got the FID ASAP and suddenly my Daisy 880 was legal for me to possess. That was January, 1979. Had the FID ever since. Only have one airgun now; a long-barreled, pump-action Crosman 1377 pistol in .177 caliber. WalMart in Salem, NH is selling a lot of them. It is one of their best-selling airguns.

Back
Top Bottom