Pepper spray permits/ view from a LO

Says the man from Manchvegas.

Explain how that helps us change the laws in MA in any way?

Lead, follow, or mind your own business.

I'll send you my receipts from my GOAL lifetime membership purchase. Does that count?

In all honesty, if the OC permitting process is abolished as a result of the Amy Lord murder, than some good can be borne out of an absolute tragedy. But I won't get my hopes high.

I think something will happen, and I've got a horse in this race as I'm always in MA.

Last edited:
So! Your results have been what? You are doing such a great job, you keep doing it while we enjoy ourselves. Such a Martyr!

I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. NH is not the state it was 10 years ago and is quickly devolving into "North MA". It's easy to be smug from the other side of the fence until your grass turns brown too. Trust me, I keep up on things in NH since most of my inlaws and extended family reside there, and I can see the tide changing slowly but surely. Mocking us as gun owners unfortunate enough to live in this state helps nothing and just makes you guys that do it look like douchebags. Don't you think we would change things if we could? The simple fact is that we are outnumbered by at least 10:1 by non gun owners who are easily swayed by every school shooting, or other tragic event concerning the use of guns. If you think for one second that this isn't the case even in your precious state of NH, you just haven't been paying attention.

So! Your results have been what? You are doing such a great job, you keep doing it while we enjoy ourselves. Such a Martyr!

Just trying to read the political winds here, I think something with the OC permitting process will be done. But like I said, I won't get my hopes high. Legislation WRT the recent OC proposal was filed by a Norfolk Republican. If it came from a Revere Democrat, I think I would put more stock in to any change.

The antis will probably counter, "What's next? Are we going to allow people to carry guns without a license?" I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade but I'm trying to add a dimension of realism to the conversation.

FWIW, you can buy OC at a Hess gas station in Salem, NH. For use in NH only please.

that would be the logical answer and really, the logical answer to "gun control". There are already laws on the books to deal w assault, assault w weapon etc. Banning, registering, or permitting things has nothing to do with anything other than controlling people. If some dumb broad wants to run around spraying mace at someone then charge with with assault and battery. and if someone wants to go shoot someone then charge them accordingly. Don't restrict peaceful peoples' rights in the meantime.

In light of the brutal slaying of Amy Lord, people are now talking about the ridiculous requirement for a permit to carry pepper spray in Massachusetts. As a LO, here's my take on the situation.

Obviously, I don't feel that any permit should be required. Self defense is a god given right that MUST be recognized. Has anyone ever been butchered by a can of pepper spray? Not that I'm aware of. However, many rapes, murders, assaults, etc have been avoided from its use. That being said, why can't we eliminate any fee or licensing for pepper spray? It should be available at any convenience store. We should eliminate any background check. If the state is still worried, then why not pass legislation to enhance the penalty for using pepper spray in the commission of a crime? In fact, the whole idea is such a no brainer, I'm going to call my state rep on Monday and suggest it.

that would be the logical answer and really, the logical answer to "gun control". There are already laws on the books to deal w assault, assault w weapon etc. Banning, registering, or permitting things has nothing to do with anything other than controlling people. If some dumb broad wants to run around spraying mace at someone then charge with with assault and battery. and if someone wants to go shoot someone then charge them accordingly. Don't restrict peaceful peoples' rights in the meantime.

Yep, but the unfortunate thing is that *most* people are very quick to say "we need to do something!", or "there should be a law to prevent tragedies like that from happening", when the simple fact is that those laws have been in place for hundreds of years already. They just don't have the common sense to realize that there has never been a single law yet that will prevent ANYONE from doing what they truly want to do whether it is going faster than the speed limit, or killing someone.

The antis will probably counter, "What's next? Are we going to allow people to carry guns without a license?"

You, of course, counter with "I'm glad you suggested it, that's a fan-TASTIC eye-deer! Why, just yesterday I was in NH: open-carried EVERYWHERE, NO license, and no one died!"

Why settle for pepper spray without a license?

You're right. Whenever someone says that.."we need to do something" my answer is that we should start enforcing the laws on the books. That, at the very least, will prevent repeat offenders. This a$$hole that stabbed this poor lady had how many arraignments? If we bothered to enforce our laws this wouldn't have happened. This guy should have been dining at a cockmeat sandwich buffet for years instead of running around the city assaulting women with impunity.

Yep, but the unfortunate thing is that *most* people are very quick to say "we need to do something!", or "there should be a law to prevent tragedies like that from happening", when the simple fact is that those laws have been in place for hundreds of years already. They just don't have the common sense to realize that there has never been a single law yet that will prevent ANYONE from doing what they truly want to do whether it is going faster than the speed limit, or killing someone.

You, of course, counter with "I'm glad you suggested it, that's a fan-TASTIC eye-deer! Why, just yesterday I was in NH: open-carried EVERYWHERE, NO license, and no one died!"

Why settle for pepper spray without a license?

The baby steps method can work.

That I am well aware of. I am a retired Cop from that shithole, that some call a state.

Yes, I knew that. Sorry, my comment was directed towards another poster. [wink]

Why do you feel it necessary to mention that you are a LO?

Really? Because it seems more credible than "I was just rolling a bone and drinking a few shots of Jager with my bros, when it dawned on me that liberal Mass laws suck donkey cock, brah". On a more serious note......because I ISSUE the permits, and complete the background checks, and take the MONEY from citizens who are being extorted in exchange for the "privilege" of exercising god given rights, and it bothers me. I see it from a different perspective than Joe Plumber, and I think that my OPINION on the matter, as a LO should MEAN something to legislators. Not that everyone's opinion shouldn't matter, but I'm TRYING to use my position to HELP the extorted, tax paying citizens. Hope this clears it up for you.

p.s.....I see a constant barrage of bullshit from anti-cop people here. Usually something like wah, wah wah! You're no better than us! Wah, wah wah! Why do you get special privileges? How many dogs have you shot? Well, for the record, I don't agree with police having any "special" privileges. I'm just another common douche-bag with a 60 hour per week job, who disagrees with the current licensing system. If my position can lend some credibility in getting it changed, then why not utilize it?

Really? Because it seems more credible than "I was just rolling a bone and drinking a few shots of Jager with my bros, when it dawned on me that liberal Mass laws suck donkey cock, brah". On a more serious note......because I ISSUE the permits, and complete the background checks, and take the MONEY from citizens who are being extorted in exchange for the "privilege" of exercising god given rights, and it bothers me. I see it from a different perspective than Joe Plumber, and I think that my OPINION on the matter, as a LO should MEAN something to legislators. Not that everyone's opinion shouldn't matter, but I'm TRYING to use my position to HELP the extorted, tax paying citizens. Hope this clears it up for you.

p.s.....I see a constant barrage of bullshit from anti-cop people here. Usually something like wah, wah wah! You're no better than us! Wah, wah wah! Why do you get special privileges? How many dogs have you shot? Well, for the record, I don't agree with police having any "special" privileges. I'm just another common douche-bag with a 60 hour per week job, who disagrees with the current licensing system. If my position can lend some credibility in getting it changed, then why not utilize it?

Rep inbound...too many people here think you "must" have an agenda...and few actually read the posts/thread and think before they spew text...

Rep inbound...too many people here think you "must" have an agenda...and few actually read the posts/thread and think before they spew text...

He does . . . but his agenda is the same as ours!! Many refuse to believe that because of where he works . . . just like if one gun owner goes off the rails, all get blamed for it. Sad that NES eats its own.

He blew the court off after his very first conviction, apparently without any consequences. At that point he probably concluded that the criminal justice system was a joke. He was correct.

Ponder for a moment that these are just the things he was caught doing. I'd be willing to bet that he committed many more crimes for which he was never charged. If he is convicted for this murder I really hope he gets a stern talking-to so he realizes how serious this is.

Welcome to Massachusetts, where it's not illegal to be illegal and where despicable actions have no consequences. Animals like this roam the streets and our legislators want to hand out whistles. Unbelievable. Freakin' unbelievable.

^This
Totally agree.

Welcome to Massachusetts, where it's not illegal to be illegal and where despicable actions have no consequences. Animals like this roam the streets and our legislators want to hand out whistles. Unbelievable. Freakin' unbelievable.

Criminals and illegals are national treasures of the DNC. They are untouchable and cherished by our dear leaders. Nothing will change.

I would give more deference to the opinion of Joe the Plumber, compared with a firearms licensing officer, on gun policy. Plumbers are skilled workers who serve a useful purpose.

This. /Thread. Nice post and very well said.

As an LO are you allowed to provide public testimony against the new onslaught of anit-Constitutional gun laws currently being proposed?

This. /Thread. Nice post and very well said.

As an LO are you allowed to provide public testimony against the new onslaught of anit-Constitutional gun laws currently being proposed?

I'm curious about why you and several others feel this way. A full time licensing officer in MA doesn't do any actual police work, as I understand. My sense is that the gun control movement chose police officers as licensing agents for the purpose of discouraging gun ownership, particularly among women and minorities. It seems to be effective.

I wouldn't really care what an RMV clerk thinks about transportation policy, so why is an LO to be treated any differently?

I'm curious about why you and several others feel this way. A full time licensing officer in MA doesn't do any actual police work, as I understand. My sense is that the gun control movement chose police officers as licensing agents for the purpose of discouraging gun ownership, particularly among women and minorities. It seems to be effective.

I wouldn't really care what an RMV clerk thinks about transportation policy, so why is an LO to be treated any differently?

I understand what you're saying, but the reality is that legislators will give more credence to an opinion coming from a person with some 'official' standing. Their thought process seems to be that since the police have to deal with criminals maybe their opinion about gun licensing should be listened to.

They haven't gotten past the fact that most gun owners are not criminals.

I understand what you're saying, but the reality is that legislators will give more credence to an opinion coming from a person with some 'official' standing. Their thought process seems to be that since the police have to deal with criminals maybe their opinion about gun licensing should be listened to.

They haven't gotten past the fact that most gun owners are not criminals, OR that most criminals are not legal gun owners.

^there, fify.[wink]

Their thought process seems to be that since the police have to deal with criminals maybe their opinion about gun licensing should be listened to.

At the political, rather than street cop level, police in the command structure and union leaders have the opinion the legislatures tell them to have - in return for which they can be assured favorable votes on items relating to pensions.

Back
Top Bottom