Pepper spray permits/ view from a LO

Actually, one of my friends found out by accident. He tried to buy some BBs and pellets for his .177 caliber Crosman 760 air rifle at the (now long defunct) K-Mart in North Andover. He did not have an FID and the store refused to sell it to him. He contacted the North Andover police and they told him that he needed an FID for the Crosman rifle and a LTC for any type of CO2 or air pistol. He passed the info along to me. Meanwhile, I was noticing all of the arrests in the Greater Lawrence area for unlicensed air gun possession. Got the FID ASAP and suddenly my Daisy 880 was legal for me to possess. That was January, 1979. Had the FID ever since. Only have one airgun now; a long-barreled, pump-action Crosman 1377 pistol in .177 caliber. WalMart in Salem, NH is selling a lot of them. It is one of their best-selling airguns.

I ran into a similar situation when I first moved to Taxachusetts many years ago. I went to a lumberyard in Framingham on waverly st and the guy wouldn't sell me 22s for a ramset tool without an FID.

I ran into a similar situation when I first moved to Taxachusetts many years ago. I went to a lumberyard in Framingham on waverly st and the guy wouldn't sell me 22s for a ramset tool without an FID.

Back in the 1970s they were not exempt from the FID requirement IIRC.

I guess what I should have said is: There are rapists/ murderers/ thugs in general who are only slightly annoyed by pepper spray. I don't know how the heck you can "condition" yourself to be mostly unaffected by that stuff, but it happens.

Whoever is telling you this is full of s$&t. I've been sprayed dozens of times. You can't condition yourself to be "slightly annoyed" by it. Anyone who says they are immune to it is welcome to stop by for a lesson in the proper use of pepper spray. I promise you will experience something more than a slight annoyance. Just like bullets, pepper spray does not guarantee to immediately cripple an attacker, but 99.9% of the time, it will give you the time you need to get away from the threat.
Most of the time, if spray is not immediately effective, it's because of improper use. Spraying a whole can in an attackers face will be less effective than a 1/4 second burst. This is because the carrier agent in OC (oleoresin capsicum) is a liquid, and the actual agent (the hot stuff) is more effective when the carrier has dried. Often I have seen a subject hosed with spray who continued to fight, only to start screaming in pain 10 minutes later as the carrier agent dried and the OC began to take effect. So, like any defensive weapon, training in proper use will greatly increase effectiveness. Perhaps I should put on a training class for civilians who carry spray *thinking*.

Every time I've been sprayed... I was a hero for 3-5 seconds... Then it just feels like knees give out and I wanted to go to my happy place. In both academies I've been to, only 1 or 2 people weren't completely dismantled by it. Drugs and alcohol obviously are a factor in the criminal realm.

If this is happening a lot, you might want to consider just handing over your license and registration like the nice officer asked? [laugh]

Haha... Nice. It was actually all women that sprayed me if that makes the story any better? Haha

No... That doesn't clear much up does it?

Tom,

Yes, that is the stuff.

When I was researching what to carry (some years ago) on LE forums, this product stood out above the rest. Couldn't find it in MA gun shops, but bought it at the Holbrook gun show.

I'll bet BP has had it for 2 or 3 years now, in lower part of handgun case near the starter pistols. I was very surprised to see it there. Unsure who else in MA sells it.

Your guy was blowing smoke. Most of the stuff sold in MA gun shops is inferior product. Although not a pleasant shopping experience usually, the cop shops are the better places to find good chemical sprays . . . of course at straight MSRP however.
Len, just killed a bat this evening with that Sabre pepper spray. Came into our enclose porch and scared the hell out of my girlfriend and our cat. Shooting it with my pellet pistol was out of the question, since we did not want to cause damage to the screens or floor. Two good bursts from the Sabre pepper spray dropped the bat and killed it within 30 seconds or so. Stuff is nasty. Good choice. It will be Sabre for us from now on

Len, just killed a bat this evening with that Sabre pepper spray. Came into our enclose porch and scared the hell out of my girlfriend and our cat. Shooting it with my pellet pistol was out of the question, since we did not want to cause damage to the screens or floor. Two good bursts from the Sabre pepper spray dropped the bat and killed it within 30 seconds or so. Stuff is nasty. Good choice. It will be Sabre for us from now on

[rofl]

Let the company know that there is another good use for that product!

Seriously glad that it did the job. Nice, easy way. Just make sure you wear a mask when you vacuum or sweep up, the stuff sticks around. After my OC class at the Police Academy (held in a school building) the next day the janitor came into the Administrator's office complaining of tearing eyes, etc. when he swept the floor in the gym (where we did the training)! [laugh]

Probably an allergic reaction. YOU could have saved that poor bat if you had an Epi Pen! [smile]

I agree 100%. I go to BCC and there are so many women both young and older who are students, teach, and work there that either wont take night classes, have to change their schedules, move their vehicles depending on what time their class gets out and what time it will be etc... all because they are scared and there is no way to defend themselves. You would be surprised but a big campus like BCC is pretty empty come 8pm to 10pm when the last few classes get out. License or no license (which I think the license is stupid) having at the very least pepper spray to protect yourself from an attacker is a basic right as an American and something politicians should not get in the way of.

Scenario: The licensing requirement for pepper spray is eliminated. Legislation is passed to enhance the penalty of using paper spray in the commission of a crime. An "underprivileged" youth douses a train load of passengers and children as a joke. State appointed attorney gets youth off on probation. Youth laughs an his way out of court. Legislators reinstate law requiring license to purchase pepper spray. The "underprivileged" youth rapes an female victim prohibited from purchasing pepper spray. State appointed attorney gets youth 1 year detention. Youth laughs his way out of the detention center a year later. Politicians establish tax funded programs to serve "underprivileged" youths. The crime rate increases.

Build more prisons. Enforce the laws. Take the criminals off the streets.

Back
Top Bottom