• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

People on the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

NES Member
Well, I'm dealing with it again and just got an earful from my father. There was a black guy and his white girlfriend that drove onto my condo property and sat down on the bench by the pond, smoking pot. I didn't see them until I was out there to feed the swan but I could tell from the girl's body language, and from seeing here to know they don't live here. So while I was feeding the swans I told him I've never seen him before and asked where he lived. He pointed to the low income public housing on the other side of the fence. I asked him why he was here and he responded "enjoying the view." So I said it was private property if the cars and the buildings didn't tip him off and I didn't appreciate him trespassing while smoking pot as well. He said it was a cigarette, to which I responded it smelled a lot like pot. I told them I didn't want them to keep coming on the property and that if he was still here in a few minutes that I was calling the cops.

Smelling his drugs actually gave me a headache but not as big as what I got from my father for speaking to them. He wants me to ignore everyone which I won't do. I have no tolerance for people trespassing, damaging property, dumping garbage, doing drugs and hanging out. One morning I approached a young man, homeless I guess, sleeping in the gazebo and asked him to leave saying it was private property. He did, swiftly but still, my father's hair was on fire all day until I got home.

I won't stop approaching people on the property especially if I'm standing right near them because it's like someone flopping in my living room acting like I'm maid service. So he wants me to take a gun with me when I go out, so last night I got a concealed carry fanny pack.

I know some will say just move, however I bid on a job last month and a coworker in my office got selected Monday, I got the rejection on Friday. Even my boss got a new job last week. I dearly could have used the money to fix up my condo and move but clearly now that's not even a possibility.

Edit to add, my mother just gave me an earful and said I'd be the "death" of my father. I told her if I'm out there I'm going to say something as I can't call the cops every time someone shows up, especially if the condo association won't help. Two times I called the police and actually got voice mail. My hair dresser, who dates a cop, gave me another number to use. I saw people on the property being loud and hanging out so I called it. A cop came out, spoke to them and then left, but they stated for over and hour before leaving. I left a message for the police asking what is the good of requesting their assistance if they don't actually make the trespassers leave and they continue to linger even after having been spoken to. They said they'd mention it to the chief....

Laura

I used to have a park bench in my yard next to a flower bed and a sundial. I used to enjoy sitting and relaxing playing with my iphone or ipad killing time. One day I went out in the yard with the dogs and there's some guy sitting on the bench eating his lunch. I asked him what are you doing here? He replied it's a beautiful view and a lovely spot to which I reminded him it's also private property. After I noticed a few more people sitting on my park bench on my own private property I removed the bench. You just can't have nice things anymore. Whatever happened to the concept of respecting private property?

Are there No Trespassing - Private property signs?
If yes, then why not call the police?
If no, the condo association will need to vote on it.

It sounds to me like you were infringing more on them, than them on you.
If you're going to live in a community such as a condo, there is going to be a give and take. You don't own the property!
It sounds to me like the only one they were bothering was you.
Or was it vice versa?
You really need to lighten up, or buy your own place out in the middle of nowhere.
And I think you should listen to your father, not your mother.
If you're going to carry, that's fine, but I don't believe that those two are any threat to you.

It is unclear from your story the exact nature of this property? Is this some communal area that is owned and managed by the larger condo building/complex, or someone's private yard?

If it's managed by the condo association or HOA, you'd probably need them to make the trespassing complaint. I could easily see the police not treat this as trespassing if the report isn't coming from someone actually authorized to control the property. You're best recourse is probably to complain to the condo association and have them deal with it.

Packing a gun to go confront a couple of trespassers seems like a bad idea that could easily end with criminal charges on your end should you lose your temper.

If it's managed by the condo association or HOA, you'd probably need them to make the trespassing complaint. I could easily see the police not treat this as trespassing if the report isn't coming from someone actually authorized to control the property. You're best recourse is probably to complain to the condo association and have them deal with it.

This. I can't think of too many good reasons to live in a condo complex, but hell, you're paying association fees to deal with this kind of "problem."

And yes. Stop feeding wildlife.

Well, I'm dealing with it again and just got an earful from my father. There was a black guy and his white girlfriend that drove onto my condo property and sat down on the bench by the pond, smoking pot. I didn't see them until I was out there to feed the swan but I could tell from the girl's body language, and from seeing here to know they don't live here. So while I was feeding the swans I told him I've never seen him before and asked where he lived. He pointed to the low income public housing on the other side of the fence. I asked him why he was here and he responded "enjoying the view." So I said it was private property if the cars and the buildings didn't tip him off and I didn't appreciate him trespassing while smoking pot as well. He said it was a cigarette, to which I responded it smelled a lot like pot. I told them I didn't want them to keep coming on the property and that if he was still here in a few minutes that I was calling the cops.

Smelling his drugs actually gave me a headache but not as big as what I got from my father for speaking to them. He wants me to ignore everyone which I won't do. I have no tolerance for people trespassing, damaging property, dumping garbage, doing drugs and hanging out. One morning I approached a young man, homeless I guess, sleeping in the gazebo and asked him to leave saying it was private property. He did, swiftly but still, my father's hair was on fire all day until I got home.

I won't stop approaching people on the property especially if I'm standing right near them because it's like someone flopping in my living room acting like I'm maid service. So he wants me to take a gun with me when I go out, so last night I got a concealed carry fanny pack.

I know some will say just move, however I bid on a job last month and a coworker in my office got selected Monday, I got the rejection on Friday. Even my boss got a new job last week. I dearly could have used the money to fix up my condo and move but clearly now that's not even a possibility.

Edit to add, my mother just gave me an earful and said I'd be the "death" of my father. I told her if I'm out there I'm going to say something as I can't call the cops every time someone shows up, especially if the condo association won't help. Two times I called the police and actually got voice mail. My hair dresser, who dates a cop, gave me another number to use. I saw people on the property being loud and hanging out so I called it. A cop came out, spoke to them and then left, but they stated for over and hour before leaving. I left a message for the police asking what is the good of requesting their assistance if they don't actually make the trespassers leave and they continue to linger even after having been spoken to. They said they'd mention it to the chief....

Laura
I think you should light up a joint. Maybe you'll chill out a little and not get so worked up next time you see someone relaxing out on a bench near a pond.

IMHO:

Sometimes life can be just as much about "not saying something to someone" ...... as it is about "saying something".

I sympathize with you totally. People don't get it unless it happens to them. My brother, father, and I have been chasing trespassers off or property for 25 years. Signs and fences don't help.
Neither do cops.
We did have a group actually break into the porch to sit and drink because it was hot and nobody was home .
Disappeared before the cops got there.
These days people think they have a right to everything.

Last edited:
i have issues confronting people. i'd start smoking meat and stoke it up down wind of your "trespassers" when they arrived. but now that i think about it, they my be hungry after smoking weed so i guess you'd have two problems then.

Is trespassing on someone elses property and setting yourself up there like it is some kind of public park "minding their own business?".
The way I took it was that it was a condo community with a small pond on the property. I don’t see what harm they were causing anyone. I like to live and let live.

Race had no bearing on the situation. The fact that the OP feels the need to identify that first tells me everything I need to know about the OP. I suspect the OP has a lot of problems with intolerance in their life. People smoking a joint by a pond is the least of their problems.

Private property is...private. Not having a fence around the area doesn't mean it's open to the public anymore than you leaving the garage door open means anyone can walk in.

This is an example in miniature of our borders. Just because it's nicer than over at public housing doesn't entitle them to come over and use a place someone else worked to pay for.

WRT carrying, if there's a place I won't go to unarmed, I wont go at all.

Put out some sprinklers. Turn them on when people are coming or there. Nobody likes getting wet.

Trespassers hate Wagner And Beethhoven...

W-fFHeTX70Q

Question: If the black guy and white girl lived in the complex, would you have been ok with them hanging out and smoking the joint?

The fact that you felt the need to first point out he was black and the girl wasn't, suggests race was an issue, even if it wasn't. And because they were out doors, it's a pretty big stretch that catching a wiff of weed gave you a headache.

I don't know a lot of the background, and don't want to appear adversarial, because your posts on the forum have always come across as you being a good person, but my honest assesment is that this thread reads " Someone from a race I don't approve of, was enraged in an activity I don't approve of, some place I don't approve of them being"

I don't have a problem with you being armed (ever), but do have a problem if you chose to arm yourself specifically to confront people. If you knowingly put yourself in a situation where you feel the need to be armed, you really should avoid that situation if at all possible. And in this case, it really is avoidable. You could also get really jammed up if one of them guessed you had a firearm in your fanny pack and mentioned it to a responding cop.

You are lucky to have a Dad that loves you. He might drive you nuts sometimes, but obviously cares about you. I would never tell someone what they should do, and please try not to take offense, but I think that feeding the swans is a bigger problem that two people peacefully sitting on a bench. If they were trashing the place or doing something crazy, that is a whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom