• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

People on the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "stop feeding the swans"?

???
if they stop feeding the swans they(the swan feeders) wont go to the pond. Plus I can only speculate that the food being fed is not of natural choice of the swan.

hot and bored,,,,

Well, I'm dealing with it again and just got an earful from my father. There was a black guy and his white girlfriend that drove onto my condo property and sat down on the bench by the pond, smoking pot. I didn't see them until I was out there to feed the swan but I could tell from the girl's body language, and from seeing here to know they don't live here. So while I was feeding the swans I told him I've never seen him before and asked where he lived. He pointed to the low income public housing on the other side of the fence. I asked him why he was here and he responded "enjoying the view." So I said it was private property if the cars and the buildings didn't tip him off and I didn't appreciate him trespassing while smoking pot as well. He said it was a cigarette, to which I responded it smelled a lot like pot. I told them I didn't want them to keep coming on the property and that if he was still here in a few minutes that I was calling the cops.

Smelling his drugs actually gave me a headache but not as big as what I got from my father for speaking to them. He wants me to ignore everyone which I won't do. I have no tolerance for people trespassing, damaging property, dumping garbage, doing drugs and hanging out. One morning I approached a young man, homeless I guess, sleeping in the gazebo and asked him to leave saying it was private property. He did, swiftly but still, my father's hair was on fire all day until I got home.

I won't stop approaching people on the property especially if I'm standing right near them because it's like someone flopping in my living room acting like I'm maid service. So he wants me to take a gun with me when I go out, so last night I got a concealed carry fanny pack.

I know some will say just move, however I bid on a job last month and a coworker in my office got selected Monday, I got the rejection on Friday. Even my boss got a new job last week. I dearly could have used the money to fix up my condo and move but clearly now that's not even a possibility.

Edit to add, my mother just gave me an earful and said I'd be the "death" of my father. I told her if I'm out there I'm going to say something as I can't call the cops every time someone shows up, especially if the condo association won't help. Two times I called the police and actually got voice mail. My hair dresser, who dates a cop, gave me another number to use. I saw people on the property being loud and hanging out so I called it. A cop came out, spoke to them and then left, but they stated for over and hour before leaving. I left a message for the police asking what is the good of requesting their assistance if they don't actually make the trespassers leave and they continue to linger even after having been spoken to. They said they'd mention it to the chief....

Laura
im curious about condo ownership. Does ownership extend outside the walls of your "condo" . I have this thing in my head that the condo association could careless about what occupants think about the portions of the property they dont own ?
Is the Condo complex a smoke free environment including open spaces ? I swear one day I seen a sign in a complex that said smoking only allowed by residents ?

just tossing random stuff out there.
you could just be a royal pita and sit next to them , dont stop talking to them and feed the swans so they come up and around the table. Good thing about swans is they tend to keep geese away.

You could also ask the condo association for a encloser around the tables? Like a tent with walls. You cant smoke inside correct.

Find what annoys those folks that bother you and create that around where they gather.....should drive them off eventually

First and most importantly the OP is probably a troll account. It would be hard to imagine the OP's post being real due to it hitting so many talking points that a person looking to bait conservative gun owners would use.

Assuming the OP's a real post, and is infact from Peabody the OP is the one who is breaking the law. Not the specifically identified black guy and his also specifically identified white girl friend. Since the land is claimed to not be public, the couple isn't necessarily breaking the law while consuming "drugs." But the OP is in violation of Peabody's feeding or baiting migratory waterfowl law.

Are we on the brink of a second civil war?
another cliche bait example

im curious about condo ownership. Does ownership extend outside the walls of your "condo" . I have this thing in my head that the condo association could careless about what occupants think about the portions of the property they dont own ?

Condo unit ownership includes an undivided percentage interest in the common areas and facilities, so yes, ownership does extend outside the walls of the condo. How about a little law and order? The only people who should be sitting on that bench and enjoying that view of the pond are the unit owners who pay the condo fees that built and that maintain the condo common facilities. Since when did NES turn so commie?

Last edited:
We’re having problems with ATV’s and off roaders using the stream ford on our property at Sunapee again. The logging company closed the bridge on the Class VI road next to us. We’d marked both ends “No Trespassing Private Property” and put down seed, rain barriers and rocks to try and halt the erosion.

These a**h***s removed all that to make it easier, and drove over the signs.

Yesterday I moved one ton of rocks, two 16” logs to block each end, then strung a 1/4” steel cable with another No Trespassing sign on it.

So now these pricks will have to drive a 1/4 mile up the road to use the public access point there. Can you believe it? And we’ll be getting runoff into the stream every time it rains, thanks to them.

So according to some—-
No right to private property

Check

Does the op own the property on their own or is it owned by an association they are a member of? Are the grounds where the people are under the op's sole jurisdiction? Has the rest of the condo association agreed to give the op the authority to confront people and kick them off the property?

The property is likely private in some sense, but not the same way as property held by a single owner. The op chooses to live in MA where there is nothing illegal about being on privately held property until asked to leave if it is not posted, regardless of how disrespectful it may be, and has also chosen to live in a condominium, which typically have additional restrictions on privacy and property rights the owners voluntarily agree to.

Sounds like OP may be not the most socially adept person out there and/or a mega douche.

Condos have common areas that are owned and managed by the condo association, of which a condo owner is part owner. It is still private property, though it needs to be posted as such to be “ binding” in MA. The OP had every right to notify the couple they were trespassing. Pot is legal, but it is not legal to smoke in “public space”. More importantly, the condo association likely has rules around smoking, pot, drinking, etc in the common areas.

Regardless, OP is well within her rights. Personally, I would do the same thing. If they aren’t owners, renters, or guests therein, GTFO. Too many sketchy criminals, druggies, rapists and people up to no good to trust strangers. Maybe they are scoping out the neighborhood and the times people are coming and going to determine when to break in? Or worse... Those that say love and let live haven’t dealt with the filth that is the average human being these days. Lack of civility, respect, morals, etc.

First and most importantly the OP is probably a troll account. It would be hard to imagine the OP's post being real due to it hitting so many talking points that a person looking to bait conservative gun owners would use.

Assuming the OP's a real post, and is infact from Peabody the OP is the one who is breaking the law. Not the specifically identified black guy and his also specifically identified white girl friend. Since the land is claimed to not be public, the couple isn't necessarily breaking the law while consuming "drugs." But the OP is in violation of Peabody's feeding or baiting migratory waterfowl law.

Are we on the brink of a second civil war?
another cliche bait example

Yeah, there is something remarkably bizarre about the references to the op's father and mother, as though they still had the sort of reastless relationship a child would have with their parents if they were of leagal age, making most or all of their own money, but still living in their parents house. Also the reference to "bidding" on another job, not getting it, so therefore there is now no possibility of moving strikes me as odd.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is something remarkably bizarre about the references to the op's father and mother, as though they still had the sort of reastless relationship a child would have with their parents if they were of leagal age, making most or all of their own money, but still living in their parents house. Also the reference to "bidding" on another job, not getting it, so therefore there is now no possibility of moving strikes me as odd.

None of the OP makes sense.

-Race was brought into it awkwardly and very intentionally (to get conservatives to out themselves as racists)
-Why would they drive over to the condo property when the guy lives literally in her own words on the other side of the property fence?
-Why is her father involved in this?
-Cliche, boring and misinformed anti drug sentiment (Which admittedly a shit load of conservatives have for some reason)
-Magic lettuce gave her a headache, so this is apparently why her father knows about it because her father now has to speak to this person who she admittedly has no idea who this couple even is?
-Claims she kicked out a homeless person. Doubt it.
-Father gave fatherly conservative advice to take protection into own hands via fannypack CCW despite the fact that no one so far has been guilty of anything besides being victim to her boredom
-Lost job bidding results in her having to stay? Wouldnt that have the opposite effect whereas she could now focus on jobs elsewhere which would allow her to move? Where the f*** is this job in the 1st place? Even her boss got a new job, completely irrelevent information that has nothing to do with any of her made up story.
-Now her mommy is mad at her
-Police 911 call going to voicemail? Doubt it.
-her hair dresser who dates a cop gave her another number to call. wow. I didnt know there were more numbers than 911 that she should be using for emergencys
-condo associations are the bain of human existance and would love nothing more than to fight with anyone they could, made up
-now the chief of police is involved.

I will be back in a few days. I just had a stroke reading her post again. I wish you guys well.

I thought the same. The most “normal” arrangement I could think of is her senior parents live with her.

Does the op own the property on their own or is it owned by an association they are a member of? Are the grounds where the people are under the op's sole jurisdiction? Has the rest of the condo association agreed to give the op the authority to confront people and kick them off the property?

The property is likely private in some sense, but not the same way as property held by a single owner. The op chooses to live in MA where there is nothing illegal about being on privately held property until asked to leave if it is not posted, regardless of how disrespectful it may be, and has also chosen to live in a condominium, which typically have additional restrictions on privacy and property rights the owners voluntarily agree to.

I’m a member of my local gun club. Not a part owner just a member. If I see a non-member on the property, let’s say jogging through, yes I’m 100% within my rights to ask them to leave. I know this as I was working a project with several board members when a guy jogged through. The board was all over him. Get out! I asked if that is proper behavior if done by all members and was told absolutely! It’s encouraged. People can get injured and make a case against the club. They most likely will loose but it’s a pain for the club. The OP is part owner of her condo property. I would guess as INAL you would be well within your rights to ask a trespasser to leave. If I buy a property I expect to have an expectation of safety and privacy. That means no strangers get to wander onto my condos buildings or land. I would think that would go without saying.

I’m a member of my local gun club. Not a part owner just a member. If I see a non-member on the property, let’s say jogging through, yes I’m 100% within my rights to ask them to leave. I know this as I was working a project with several board members when a guy jogged through. The board was all over him. Get out! I asked if that is proper behavior if done by all members and was told absolutely! It’s encouraged. People can get injured and make a case against the club. They most likely will loose but it’s a pain for the club. The OP is part owner of her condo property. I would guess as INAL you would be well within your rights to ask a trespasser to leave. If I buy a property I expect to have an expectation of safety and privacy. That means no strangers get to wander onto my condos buildings or land. I would think that would go without saying.

Sure, It was the same way at the club I belonged to. It was policy and encouraged. The property was also posted. What is the policy of the op' association? Is the property posted? Not saying the op is wrong or acting outside of her rights as a property owner, but there is more at play here than your typical "Get off my lawn" situation and we don't have all the details.

None of the OP makes sense.

-Race was brought into it awkwardly and very intentionally (to get conservatives to out themselves as racists)
-Why would they drive over to the condo property when the guy lives literally in her own words on the other side of the property fence?
-Why is her father involved in this?
-Cliche, boring and misinformed anti drug sentiment (Which admittedly a shit load of conservatives have for some reason)
-Magic lettuce gave her a headache, so this is apparently why her father knows about it because her father now has to speak to this person who she admittedly has no idea who this couple even is?
-Claims she kicked out a homeless person. Doubt it.
-Father gave fatherly conservative advice to take protection into own hands via fannypack CCW despite the fact that no one so far has been guilty of anything besides being victim to her boredom
-Lost job bidding results in her having to stay? Wouldnt that have the opposite effect whereas she could now focus on jobs elsewhere which would allow her to move? Where the f*** is this job in the 1st place? Even her boss got a new job, completely irrelevent information that has nothing to do with any of her made up story.
-Now her mommy is mad at her
-Police 911 call going to voicemail? Doubt it.
-her hair dresser who dates a cop gave her another number to call. wow. I didnt know there were more numbers than 911 that she should be using for emergencys
-condo associations are the bain of human existance and would love nothing more than to fight with anyone they could, made up
-now the chief of police is involved.

I will be back in a few days. I just had a stroke reading her post again. I wish you guys well.

Agreed.....also OP hasnt been back to defend position. This scenario never happened. Seems like the Walmart greeter thread all over again..

Condo unit ownership includes an undivided percentage interest in the common areas and facilities, so yes, ownership does extend outside the walls of the condo. How about a little law and order? The only people who should be sitting on that bench and enjoying that view of the pond are the unit owners who pay the condo fees that built and that maintain the condo common facilities. Since when did NES turn so commie?

What about guests of condo owners? Are they allowed to sit there too? They haven't paid a cent into anything there.

I can see both sides to this story. Where I grew up, there used to be vast open stretches of empty beach you could enjoy in the summer. You could sit out there with your blanket and a book and maybe see one or two people all day. Now it is all private property with million dollar condos and No trespassing signs on the beach. On the rare occasions I go there, I still walk the beach and just ignore anyone that says anything. I don't linger mind you, just stroll through. it's annoying. If it were my property, I wouldnt care if someone walked through, but if they pitched a tent, I would address it.

I also hate the smell of cigarettes and weed. Do what you want, but be considerate of others. When I smoke a cigar, I go out of my way to not be around people (half the enjoyment of the cigar honestly)

I will have to honestly add to my previous post......

When the Mormom Missionaries show up, I kicm em the f**k off the properety!

In Mass, for there to be a criminal trespass, there has to be posted signage or direct warnings forbidding entry. Someone isn't a trespasser unless they ignore a sign, are barred from entry, or are told to go away. Until that point, there's no trespass.
Is that accurate? I thought that someone jumping a fence or walking through a closed gate, etc would do it regardless if there was a sign posted or not. If they should reasonably know theyre trespassing and make an effort to do so I thought would be good enough.

I think we are all being a little harsh on the OP. As mentioned, we don't know the back story. Maybe there have been problems in the past like car break ins or vandalism, that lead to her being vigilant.
It also doesn't sound like she went ballistic or anything. None of us can really say what we would have done, because we were not there.

Private property is private property. Property owners have the rights and uninvited visitors have none. End of story. Fanny packs, making note of the race of the uninvited guests, and/or whatever else is irrelevant. People are free to wear fanny packs. People are even free to be racisist and biggoted if they want. And for the record, we don't even know that is the OPs persuation. Could have just as easily been describing the tresspassors.

Pot is legal, but not in public spaces. Tresspassing is not legal either. All that said - law enforcemnet is the job of those who get paid to do it (boys in blue). Just call the cops and stand back and observe so you can be a good witness. Confronting these people - at it's best possible outcome - can only produce the same results the police would obtain (shooing away the tresspassers). But at it's worst it can get your tires slashed, car keyed, or other such nonsense that you would then invite after having identified yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom