• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Park Rangers stabbed in Boston Common

go to prison or get sued, it would not be the first time. No self help means no self help.

You sure about that? That kinda of thinking needs to go away. What I mean is any other state besides MA, CA, CT, NY, NJ and the person would be a hero.

Last edited:
Arrested, Marsha and Deval would drag him through the mud, and media headlines would read "vigilante shoots disabled homeless man who was turning his life around"

Unfortunately true. The cc'er would have to wait until the rangers were stabbed then MAYBE he could get away with shooting the guy as long it's not in the back. Then the cc'er would probably be arrested for retribution or something.

I can see the news next week:

"Park Ranger service orders 1,000,000 rounds of ammunition to fight Boston Common assaults"...

"after a homeless man with an "assaultive" criminal record attacked them"......oh look, another nutjob that should have already been in prison but was roaming the streets like an unwashed mumbling time bomb waiting for a reason to detonate.

The guy arrested for the stabbing had a previous warrant out on him for A&B on a police officer. Gee thanks judge for letting a known violent homeless guy walk out of jail instead of holding him until trial.

Park Rangers are not armed because they are glorified mall security guards not accredited special police officers. The Park Rangers should be part of the municipal police force or a special BPD unit.

They don't lock up any criminal unless there's cash or property to be taken. Remember the dude at Harvard carrying?

The guy arrested for the stabbing had a previous warrant out on him for A&B on a police officer. Gee thanks judge for letting a known violent homeless guy walk out of jail instead of holding him until trial.

Park Rangers are not armed because they are glorified mall security guards not accredited special police officers. The Park Rangers should be part of the municipal police force or a special BPD unit.

no they should not .......they just need to do their job which is not dealing with homeless people. they are there to take care of the park answer visitors questions...
If the homeless man just flat out attacked them out of random act well shit it was work place violence..... If rangers should be armed so should every single 18 yr old US citizen period.

www.mass.gov/.../employment/park-ranger-state-parks-job-

again we are putting far to much faith in a "police" system that is not bound by law to protect anyone. The "police" system is ****ing broken.... what ever the department

The clowns under the gold dome don't give a rats ass about you me the cops or the homeless. unless we force our law makers and our Leo to be subject to the same laws as us citizens shit ain't going to get better anytime soon.

Last edited:
Their job regularly involves dealing with homeless people mac. They routinely inform people they are breaking park rules and have been assaulted in the past for asking skateboarders, smokers, illegal campers, etc. to knock it off. The rangers were originally formed to scare off rapists that were picking women off on the Riverway and Franklin park back in the 70s.

There are areas where police can go armed, but we can't. That includes court houses, post offices, sports venues, and hospitals.

We can't be armed in hospitals as a visitor? I know that at some hospitals an employee can't have a knife in their possession greater than a certain blade length and can't have a firearm in their possession whether on duty or not. Which hospitals have signs posted forbidding firearms?

Their job regularly involves dealing with homeless people mac. They routinely inform people they are breaking park rules and have been assaulted in the past for asking skateboarders, smokers, illegal campers, etc. to knock it off. The rangers were originally formed to scare off rapists that were picking women off on the Riverway and Franklin park back in the 70s.
sent in park rangers to do the job police couldn't?

didnt see rape prevention in the job description? Anyhow they are there to inform......**** it lets just have them run around like they did in watertown last week all assault gear and mraps clean the emerald park system right up!

Last edited:
Just found out that one of those rangers is actually a buddy of mine (the older one)... A mutual friend just texted me, and said he's out of surgery and expected to survive... Really good dude. Wishing him a solid recovery.

He's got some pretty entertaining stories about what goes on in the common... Awful that it came to this. I expect some "house cleaning" to take place there in the near future, and those rangers need to be armed. Period.

Just found out that one of those rangers is actually a buddy of mine (the older one)... A mutual friend just texted me, and said he's out of surgery and expected to survive... Really good dude. Wishing him a solid recovery.

He's got some pretty entertaining stories about what goes on in the common... Awful that it came to this. I expect some "house cleaning" to take place there in the near future, and those rangers need to be armed. Period.

good to hear but if rangers need to be armed we all need to be armed.
now if the homeless man stabbed a women or 2 would LEO by screaming to arm all the women. NO
The argument that "police" put themselves in harms way is why they need to be armed is bogus.... Free citizens that walk freely are not looking to be in harms way but with out any limitations should be able to defend themselves by any means against any harm.
my wife puts herself in harms way taking care of patients on the psych ward at a hospital......by the terms in this post she should be armed! What training do they provide....15 min course in basic self defense moves.... they had a cold yellow again Sunday night.... handled once again by 3 not so tough female nurses.
cold yellow is aggressive combative patient.....this particular man was a 58 year old in good shape having hallucinations ......

cleaning house....... yeah so their going to go bust heads for the shit action of one person......wonderful.
homeless musical chairs where they going to run them off to for now.....cluster **** ain't it....

Last edited:
I do NOT know the legal status of Park Rangers wrt if they have any LE powers or not, whether they are trained by a police academy or not.

What I do know is that they are NOT employees of the City of Boston, so the mayor has nothing to do with whether or not they are armed. They are part of DCR and DCR sets the rules for what they are to do and if they are trained, armed and/or LE.

FWIW, LE are exempt from any "you can't go here armed" policies or bylaws of the City of Boston, period. Don't like that, talk to your legislators.

ETA: I don't think that anyone walking thru the Boston Common or Gardens should be prohibited from carrying a firearm or OC, but nobody asked me to write those rules.

Doesn't help that the state shut down all the mental asylums and the Boston Public Health Commission was forced to shut down the largest homeless shelter in the city on Long Island when the bridge to the island finally was condemned earlier this week. 40 years of deferred maintenance and most egregiously, diversion of bridge repair funds to 'camp Menino' on the Island, just resulted in 400+ homeless people being dumped onto the streets.

Lens there are DCR Park Rangers and Boston Park Rangers. Boston Park Rangers are seasonal city employees. "Minimum Qualifications: Must be a City of Boston resident, have a valid MA drivers license, be at least 21 years of age, have at least 2 years college education or 2 years work equivalence in law enforcement, natural resource management, environmental science, or animal control. "

Last edited:
Doesn't help that the state shut down all the mental asylums and the Boston Public Health Commission was forced to shut down the largest homeless shelter in the city on Long Island when the bridge to the island finally was condemned earlier this week. 40 years of deferred maintenance and most egregiously, diversion of bridge repair funds to 'camp Menino' on the Island, just resulted in 400+ homeless people being dumped onto the streets.

Lens there are DCR Park Rangers and Boston Park Rangers. Boston Park Rangers are seasonal city employees. "Minimum Qualifications: Must be a City of Boston resident, have a valid MA drivers license, be at least 21 years of age, have at least 2 years college education or 2 years work equivalence in law enforcement, natural resource management, environmental science, or animal control. "
You mean the timely condemnation of the bridge for the ebola isolation center

You mean the timely condemnation of the bridge for the ebola isolation center

Um, the medical facilities out there are falling apart and not much use other than gymnasium style temporary housing for homeless people. While purpose built for quarantine with several decades of neglect (half the buildings burned down or collapsed) and the saline environment there's no way in Hell Long island could be used for that purpose anymore.

You seem to know the situation there and I'll admit that I haven't been on Boston Common more than a handful of times (usually later evenings) in a number of years. Are the Park Rangers there DCR or Boston?

Um, the medical facilities out there are falling apart and not much use other than gymnasium style temporary housing for homeless people. While purpose built for quarantine with several decades of neglect (half the buildings burned down or collapsed) and the saline environment there's no way in Hell Long island could be used for that purpose anymore.

How long would it take to throw up some fema trailers?

Oh wait, Government job. 5 years an $10 mill per trailer. Nevermind

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/132a-7a.htm
What DCR's rangers legally can do

DCR/Boston Parks share duties within the Emerald Necklace which includes the Common. It's not clear from the reporting whether these rangers were DCR or Boston's.

How long would it take to throw up some fema trailers?

Oh wait, Government job. 5 years an $10 mill per trailer. Nevermind

That would require docks. Which other than some small slips for Camp Menino have completely rotted apart on Long Island.

Last edited:
34 year old homeless guy arrested for the stabbing. Has a history of violent crimes in the past. I'd be willing to be he also has a history of mental illness and not taking his medications.

It's the season for the homeless to commit crimes so they can get indoors for the winter....though this seems a little over the top for just that.

Back
Top Bottom