• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Park Rangers stabbed in Boston Common

Knob Creek

NES Member
Wow!

Two park rangers have been stabbed in the Common, with one of them suffering life-threatening injuries, police said.

The severely injured ranger has been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where the mayor is also reportedly heading. The other ranger has been taken to Tufts Medical Center.

State police, Boston Park Rangers and Boston detectives are all on the scene.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/herald_bulldog/2014/10/two_park_rangers_stabbed_in_boston_common

Park rangers should be armed period.

- - - Updated - - -

Park rangers should be armed period. Will there be a man hunt for the suspect?

The carry revolvers at Lowell Mill Yard Nat'l Historic Park, last I was there. Why not Boston Commons?

Park rangers should be armed period.

- - - Updated - - -

Park rangers should be armed period. Will there be a man hunt for the suspect?

If I can't carry a weapon, why should they?

Maybe the park rangers should go cry to the politicians.

34 year old homeless guy arrested for the stabbing. Has a history of violent crimes in the past. I'd be willing to be he also has a history of mental illness and not taking his medications.

All rangers not just the ones in the common. Is it a law or just posted about carrying in the common?

I don't know. When I worked in that area I carried anyways. But everyone keeps saying it is not legal.

I also didn't walk through the park near all the homeless people, I was a little smarter than that.

City of Boston ordinance. $50.00 fine. Of course, you'd have to reveal that you were carrying for the police to notice

All rangers not just the ones in the common. Is it a law or just posted about carrying in the common?

- - - Updated - - -

If I can't carry a weapon, why should they?

Maybe the park rangers should go cry to the politicians.

Because they have a responsibility to respond to things like this. You don't. A fact that I would think would be somewhat obvious to you, but apparently isn't.

Mental illness my ass! This sh#& bag should have been lock up months ago. Blame the courts for his last release that you will read in tomorrows news papers. its a sad circle down there at the Boston commons the MBTA police kick the sh#& bag off the MBTA property then they move down to downtown crossing where Boston finest kick them back to the commons where they are hearded to a section of the Commons to be baby sat by the defenseless Rangers as well as the defenseless law abiding citizens who can not conceal carry to protect them self Oh yea no smoking eather enjoy your trip trip to Boston

City of Boston ordinance. $50.00 fine. Of course, you'd have to reveal that you were carrying for the police to notice

- - - Updated - - -

Because they have a responsibility to respond to things like this. You don't. A fact that I would think would be somewhat obvious to you, but apparently isn't.
So you think that only people with a responsibility (that they don't actually have) to respond to things like this (getting attacked) (and I don't have a right to respond to things like this) are the only people who should be allowed to carry a gun on the Boston Common... or did I miss some sarcasm somewhere?

I didn't say that. I said that the two are not directly comparable. You and I have a choice about confronting someone who is armed, the Rangers don't. You and I, if armed, have a choice not to walk on the Common. I've done that in the past, as have others here. The Rangers don't have a choice about that since their job requires it. Which was my point.

Do I think that the ordinance is dumb? Absolutely, but that's not the point here.

There are areas where police can go armed, but we can't. That includes court houses, post offices, sports venues, and hospitals.

So you think that only people with a responsibility (that they don't actually have) to respond to things like this (getting attacked) (and I don't have a right to respond to things like this) are the only people who should be allowed to carry a gun on the Boston Common... or did I miss some sarcasm somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

And another "Gun free zone" is victimized.

The gun free zone has nothing to do with this. It's the city's short sighted policy of not arming rangers that was the problem.

No one may cross the Boston Common without carrying a shotgun in case of bears.

According to dumblaws.com

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts?page=20

It's required!

Nothing "dumb" about that law, especially against German bears!

519DZCBX1RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I know far more about the subject than you ever will. I know exactly how that cycle works, you don't. At some point they end up in an ambulance and are transported for "evaluation". 60% or more of the homeless down there have both criminal and psychiatric histories. They are people that used to be instituionalized in state mental hospitals, but that's hardly ever an option these days. So, they end up in the Suffolk County HOC or state prison where they get nothing in the way of treatment.

They are an ever present hazard to the Rangers, the cops, and EMS.

Mental illness my ass! This sh#& bag should have been lock up months ago. Blame the courts for his last release that you will read in tomorrows news papers. its a sad circle down there at the Boston commons the MBTA police kick the sh#& bag off the MBTA property then they move down to downtown crossing where Boston finest kick them back to the commons where they are hearded to a section of the Commons to be baby sat by the defenseless Rangers as well as the defenseless law abiding citizens who can not conceal carry to protect them self Oh yea no smoking eather enjoy your trip trip to Boston

So because they have a responsibility to respond they should be able to be armed to protect/defend themselves?

Well, the Supreme Court states that the police are not required to protect/defend me so I should also be able to be armed there.

In my opinion, it's all or none. Disarm me then disarm them. Allow them to be armed then give me the same benefit.

I have issues with this kind of thinking. How many law abiding citizens have been attacked this year? Most crimes are committed against civilians first THEN the police show up. So who cares about people who show up after the fact. The first "responder" is always the civilian who gets attacked first

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

what where they responding to. Park rangers don't respond They coordinate regulatory enforcement with LEO. ....if there was a problem with this guy they call the police.......but now I'm sure rangers will if not already under the homeland security net and get training and Equipment.

my prayers go out to the men stabbed. as posted earlier its a shit show down there. I used to work with my dad on weekends and summers in the state house. Capital police always had to deal with homeless sneaking into subbasement area to keep cool or warm. ...pretty constant temp down there.
Maybe rangers can remind Patrick of the 20+ million he cut from DMH. Maybe this guy could have been locked up in one of the closed state facilities.... Or just maybe this homeless guy just doesn't take any shit from anyone! dangerous all around.

yeah, actually they don't have the responsibility ... judge ruled that they don't. It's already turning to cops waiting a while for some incident to shake out before responding. As a potential target, any citizen should be able to defend themselves.

I feel bad for the mental dude, he is probably bonkers and he isn't getting better, not going to. I have no solution to his problem.

Back
Top Bottom