PA - Man Shoots Neighbor's Pit Bull, Dog Owner Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something smells here, how many people leave a hand gun just laying on the deck?

Pretty much everyone on this forum. As for the .40, that's another story.

if the dogs started chasing others around i would have gone back out and shot the dogs too.

Would that be before or after they had their jaws on someone?

Last edited:
For those who think the guy should have called animal control....

I've had at least a dozen instances in my town with off-leash menacing dogs in my yard.

EVERY time, I called the animal control officer and EVERY time he told me to secure the dog and he would come by to pick it up.

He makes the point that it is not his job to catch and secure the dog.

Well, If I'm going to 'secure' the dog, I'll secure him my way, and I've sworn off calling the dog officer, who apparently has a different job than I would have ever imagined.

I know Pitbulls get a bad name but I have had a few and they were all good dogs not giving the dogs(not these ones but them as a breed) benefiet of the doubt is like when we get mad that the libs thinking all gun owners are crazy..............we are just not in a dangerous kinda way more like in a question mortgage payments getting paid and that new awesome gun i saw in the shop getting bought way.

Thanks for beating me to this post. You took the word right out of my mouth.

Drivel.

1. The story made it clear the pitbulls were owned by an irresponsible woman who refused to license or control them. As everyone else on this thread quickly grasped, that is "how it came about."

They also weren't vaccinated. Yay for a painful rabies series if bitten or slobbered on!

1. The story made it clear the pitbulls were owned by an irresponsible woman who refused to license or control them.

Guns & dogs shouldn't require licenses.

i simply want to know if he went back out after the dogs or if they followed him into the house. if he went back out, why? sure it's your yard and you shouldn't have to worry about getting chased into your house, i agree. but what would have been wrong with calling animal control? if the dogs started chasing others around i would have gone back out and shot the dogs too. i'm simply asking, if possibly, why not call AC or 911?

His wife & dogs were in the house, and crazy dogs can jump through windows.

This subject turned into a closed thread on a PA gun forum; they may have more info on the legal aspect of things.

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/101184-man-shoots-one-three-charging-pit-bulls.html

kitty-sniper.jpg

I'll just let my cat do the killing for me.

I would hate to have to shoot a dog, but in this case Mr. Z did a public service. There is a pattern in these incidents when multiple dogs attack. If they can't latch onto their intended targets they go after the next closest living thing, as they did here, chasing Mr. Z when they couldn't get to his dogs. If he had locked himself in the house, the pack might have gone next door and killed a toddler. These three were a ticking time bomb, running loose, un-vaccinated, etc. Totally the fault of the owner.

Guns & dogs shouldn't require licenses.

Guns aren't living, sentient animals; dogs ARE.

Guns are incapable of acting alone; dogs ARE.

Guns aren't able to run amok, attacking in a pack frenzy; dogs ARE.

Since guns don't get loose, wander off, bite people or spread rabies, they don't need to be identified; dogs DO. License the dogs.

Since guns don't get loose, wander off, bite people or spread rabies, they don't need to be identified; dogs DO. License the dogs.

You shouldn't have to have a license for anything.

Are you just talking about personal licenses or does that statement apply to everythign under the sun that's licensed?

such as: Drilling for oil/mining coal, opening a business, driving, lawyers, medical professionals, among many other things that I can't think of right now.

Yeah; I want buildings and aircraft designed by people who THINK they're engineers; hospitals and vet clinics staffed by people who THINK they're doctors and supertankers commanded by people who have the director's cut of "Master and Commander"............[rolleyes]

Yeah; I want buildings and aircraft designed by people who THINK they're engineers; hospitals and vet clinics staffed by people who THINK they're doctors and supertankers commanded by people who have the director's cut of "Master and Commander"............[rolleyes]

As long as the license gives you the perception of safety, wonderful.

As long as the license gives you the perception of safety, wonderful.

Perception of safety? My mom is a nurse and My dad is a general contractor. Both require a certain amount of training before being able to obtain the particular licenses/certification in order to perform the jobs they have.

While there are always goign to be hacks, it woudl be A LOT worse if you could just have any joe on the street buy tools and go to town working on someones house or go to work as an RN and perform medical procedures on someones child or elderly parent. You think we're a litigious society now? This would be unbearable.

Edit: My dad has his Home Improvement Contractor and Construction Supervisor Licences. I'm well aware of how easy it is to obtain the HIC currently, but they are doing away with it.

Last edited:
Perception of safety? My mom is a nurse and My dad is a general contractor. Both require a certain amount of training before being able to obtain the particular licenses/certification in order to perform the jobs they have.

While there are always goign to be hacks, it woudl be A LOT worse if you could just have any joe on the street buy tools and go to town working on someones house or go to work as an RN and perform medical procedures on someones child or elderly parent. You think we're a litigious society now? This would be unbearable.

Edit: My dad has his Home Improvement Contractor and Construction Supervisor Licences. I'm well aware of how easy it is to obtain the HIC currently, but they are doing away with it.

Private certifications would be better in a free market than .gov licenses.

I can't disagree there. But that will never ever ever ever ever be the case.

Never say never. [wink]

I completely understand what you and Scrivener are saying, however I believe the private sector can do it better. No need for .gov licenses.

speaking of just a dog license. how would a piece of paper in your desk and a shiny metal tag around the dogs neck, going to stop it from getting loose, running amok, running in a pack, chasing people and biting? rabies shots i understand, a license, except for keeping records, not so much.

speaking of just a dog license. how would a piece of paper in your desk and a shiny metal tag around the dogs neck, going to stop it from getting loose, running amok, running in a pack, chasing people and biting? rabies shots i understand, a license, except for keeping records, not so much.

The only thing I can think of, is if a dog is running around and it's captured, they can identify the owner. Hopefully prevent it from happening MULTIPLE times, in theory.

Worst case scenario they would be able to press charges against the dogs owner now that they woudl be abel to identify him or her.

No rabies shots; no license. It's that simple - connect the dots.

License = accountability; proof that it's YOUR dog and, therefore, YOUR responsibility when the mutt is running loose, crapping in other people's yards, attacking other people's pets or children, harassing mailmen, etc.

That's odd I don't see where I posted anything about anarchy. There you go with those assumptions again.

I'll bite - what term would you use to describe the void created by the removal of a coherent, consistent set of criteria for competence in a designated field?

I'll bite - what term would you use to describe the void created by the removal of a coherent, consistent set of criteria for competence in a designated field?

What does professional licensure have to do with a dog license? Nothing.

-Mike

No rabies shots; no license. It's that simple - connect the dots.

License = accountability; proof that it's YOUR dog and, therefore, YOUR responsibility when the mutt is running loose, crapping in other people's yards, attacking other people's pets or children, harassing mailmen, etc.

My post #50 was in reference to post #41 which said:

" "Originally Posted by GSG Guns & dogs shouldn't require licenses."

Since guns don't get loose, wander off, bite people or spread rabies, they don't need to be identified; dogs DO. License the dogs. "

so i was wondering how having a dog license would stop any of those things from happening with the exceptions of the rabies/shot and as far as record keeping goes IE identification. the license wouldn't. in this case the owner didn't give a crap. the only way would be to take the dogs away from the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom