• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions wanted. How shiny is too shiny?

How shiny should an old Mossberg .22 rifle be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first rifle is a higher end Mossberg 46b. My dad got it for me for $20 when I was 15. It has pine inlays in the stock, decent sights and a not too bad scope. When I got it the inlays were pretty beat up and I didn't improve them while out plinking. Otherwise it was in pretty good shape, until I forgot it was in the trunk of my car when I went to the sandbox for a year. I stripped it after that and did an ok job with some cold blue and that's where it stood for 30 years.

This winter my son tore some pine flooring out that had grain matching the inlays so I decided to fix the inlays and refinish the stock. That's coming along but making compass inlays that fit the existing cutout without changing the cut out is a really slow process and after a month I have one done, seven to go.

Since I'm putting all this work into the stock I figured I get a new coat on the metal to match. I've done rust and cold blue and learned not to polish it too much or it doesn't take to the metal well. I've never had anything hot blued but I understand I can shine it up as much as I want.

So the question is, on an older rifle how shiny should it be? Do I go for the out of the box look or do I put a good layer of lipstick on the pig?

Whatever you like. It is your rifle.
My first rifle is a higher end Mossberg 46b. My dad got it for me for $20 when I was 15. It has pine inlays in the stock, decent sights and a not too bad scope. When I got it the inlays were pretty beat up and I didn't improve them while out plinking. Otherwise it was in pretty good shape, until I forgot it was in the trunk of my car when I went to the sandbox for a year. I stripped it after that and did an ok job with some cold blue and that's where it stood for 30 years.

This winter my son tore some pine flooring out that had grain matching the inlays so I decided to fix the inlays and refinish the stock. That's coming along but making compass inlays that fit the existing cutout without changing the cut out is a really slow process and after a month I have one done, seven to go.

Since I'm putting all this work into the stock I figured I get a new coat on the metal to match. I've done rust and cold blue and learned not to polish it too much or it doesn't take to the metal well. I've never had anything hot blued but I understand I can shine it up as much as I want.

So the question is, on an older rifle how shiny should it be? Do I go for the out of the box look or do I put a good layer of lipstick on the pig?
If the rifle is accurate and reliable, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Cold blue should be fine.

Generally there's two rules on restoration, you either restore it to how you remember it, or you restore it to no better than like new.

Which way you go on that is up to you.

If your going for a deep polished blue the metal has to be prestine or ever scratch,pit and smudge will show like painting over rust.
Me personally unless your going to bolish it baby smooth dont go to crazy.
You can experiment with blues. Lately I have liked how metal media blasted with 280grit oxide takes cold blue well.
Rust blue method comes out nice even on not so nice metal the key is really not to polish between “rusting” just card the loose stuff off with s carding wheel.
I find you really need to follow the instructions when blueing , I also like to use very Dark oil for the curing process
Heres a really beat up AK sight I did with rust blue and curing in dark cutting oil for 48 hours. Still plenty pitted but would look worse cold blued.
Recently did a Mauser 98k barrel with cold blue also. The finish is not polished just final machined as from the factory
EE30E598-72D3-44C4-B89F-9048ED9E6822.png
I dont take the best pictures 47638531-62C9-4A91-BD83-971F4B317CA8.jpeg after Birchwood casey cold blue
1E8612ED-A4A3-4FE8-BF0E-2F4623BB9963.jpeg 9D6DC755-D70C-4281-99CF-583F18F74B4B.jpeg

Last edited:
That's some nice looking work! I'm putting together a cap and ball rifle that I was going to rust blue. My last attempt didn't come out as dark as that so I'll cut back on the polishing for this one.

I should have said up front that I'm doing the prep work and bringing it to La Rocca to be dipped.

That's some nice looking work! I'm putting together a cap and ball rifle that I was going to rust blue. My last attempt didn't come out as dark as that so I'll cut back on the polishing for this one.

I should have said up front that I'm doing the prep work and bringing it to La Rocca to be dipped.
im not very into polishing but I did learn to keep your wheels away from other grits of compounds. Also the larger and wider the wheel is the better for felt wheel polishing.

Ive gone done as fine as 320 for some cold blue applications but there was pitting and scratches to deep for my patience/skill

I don't know what I'd like, that's why I'm coming to the NES brain trust. There's no shortage of opinions here the I know of.
This is always the thread I reference when someone wants to know what "shiny and blue" can really mean.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/ny95m#MqzRln5

exempli gratia:
2kdPNNX.jpeg

This is always the thread I reference when someone wants to know what "shiny and blue" can really mean.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/ny95m#MqzRln5

exempli gratia:

2kdPNNX.jpeg

Exactly!

I was starting to lean toward a lower gloss then you post this and I don't know anymore. The questions are do I have it in me to get to that level of shine? If I do will a 90 year old tube fed, bolt action .22 with that shine have the same presence as that 1911?

And now you have me thinking about the trigger too.

If you plan on making it a family heirloom, polish it up, shiny polished finishes are actuslly easier to maintain, they wipe down easier, water beads off of it, and it is less likely to corrode.

Exactly!

I was starting to lean toward a lower gloss then you post this and I don't know anymore. The questions are do I have it in me to get to that level of shine? If I do will a 90 year old tube fed, bolt action .22 with that shine have the same presence as that 1911?

And now you have me thinking about the trigger too.
don't worry about "presence" because a lot of that is the result of other stories we tell ourselves. We all know "the 1911 won two world wars," etc. That's being patterned in your brain on top of "wow, that's a lot of shine."

If you like the idea of it, sit there and polish while you watch tv. Polish while (instead of?) looking at NES. Put a pile of desiccant in the box you'll be storing the parts in between sessions. Take your time, and eventually you'll get there. (Just be careful of the actual working surfaces!)

And notice, even on the 1911, the polish isn't perfect. There are visible streaks on some surfaces. There's some unevenness of the lighter bluing. Some of that might be wear and age, but it means we know that inconsistent surfaces can still look great.

Think its time to see the stock

Charcol Bluing is always nice:

Turnbull-Restored-Colt-1902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom