Opinions on Walther PPK .380 and pic request

"Walther PPK. 7.65 millimeter. Only three men I know use such a gun; I believe I've killed two of them...."

43485b78d5407690962658583b68a97f.jpg

Did he really say 7.65mm? [smile]

They are not fun to shoot.
If I were to carry a .380 again, my choice would be a Colt Government Model .380
My buddy has one, I've shot it several times side-by-side with my PPK.
No comparison, the Colt shoots like a creampuff next to the Walther, far better trigger too.

standard.jpg

I've also fired the SIG P232, which is another DA, fixed barrel, straight blowback action.
Ergonomically it's more pleasant to shoot than the PPK, but feels chunkier in the hand.

I wonder how the "Colt Government Model .380" compares to the Sig 938, which is basically a 1911 style in .380 vs. 9mm.

What didn't you like about it other than what EddieCoyle says?

Pretty sure EC covered all the bases... By modern day standards a heavy .380 with excessive recoil for the caliber and bad trigger is really a non starter. There are so many good quality pistols that are lighter, nicer to shoot, have better triggers, smaller, eat ect the PPK is pretty much for only hose that want to play Bond

I don't know if playing Bond is all accurate for me, although it doesn't sound like a bad fantasy,lol. I have men a mechanical designer/mechanical tech for most of my life so I tend to go for ascetics and machined quality. I like the idea of an all steel design as opposed to polymer, although the strength and durability of today's plastics can rival steel.
That Colt Mustang looks pretty nice. Looks like it's missing the back strap safety. Does the slide lock on those disengage anything else.
Even with the negative rap I wonder how many people still own a PPK and still like it for what it is.

I've had walther pp and ppk/s. PPk is probably the most beautiful weapon from the earlier year. The ppk /pp series is a timeless piece. Now days we have better carry options than ppk but nothing beats a German mande ppk/pp. I have one made 1980 and not carry it often. Better save something that can't be replaced.

With all these being said, a blowback action pistol sucks. it hurts your hand if you shoot a lot. I would consider G42 is much better option for that very reason.

DSCN1982.JPG

Last edited:
Can someone please explain blowback action to me? I know slides rely on the gases from a cartridge to send it back, but doesn't a striker fired pistol do the same?

On a blowback action, the barrel and slide are not mechanically locked together while in battery, it relies only on the pressure of the spring which pushes the slide forward, thus necessitating a heavier than normal spring.
Achieving the correct slide delay and cycling is a function of the spring along with the slides mass and inertia.
It makes no difference whether it's hammer & pin or striker fired.

W
I don't know if playing Bond is all accurate for me, although it doesn't sound like a bad fantasy,lol. I have men a mechanical designer/mechanical tech for most of my life so I tend to go for ascetics and machined quality. I like the idea of an all steel design as opposed to polymer, although the strength and durability of today's plastics can rival steel.
That Colt Mustang looks pretty nice. Looks like it's missing the back strap safety. Does the slide lock on those disengage anything else.
Even with the negative rap I wonder how many people still own a PPK and still like it for what it is.

If it's strictly for enjoyment and for the interest in a quality pistol, sure I get it. I've owned a S&W imported PPK and it was a good pistol. For defensive purposes, no thank you, not even a little. There are pistols the same size, in 9mm with better triggers that are much more forgiving to shoot 400-500 rounds a range trip with. A defensive pistol isn't a fashion statement to me.

I had Walther PPKS very briefly - it was the worst gun I've ever owned. Couldn't fire an entire magazine without jamming multiple times. Tried different magazine, different shooters. Will never own another Walther (I hold a grudge).

Maybe it was one of the recalled ones?

The recall didn't affect the actual cycling of the gun when firing, it had to do with parts breakage in the safety/decocker mechanism.
As I said above, it's hit or miss, either you get a good one or a bad one.
I got a good one, which cycles reliably, my dad got a bad one which performed the way Max Stravinsky described.

I always wanted a PPK/S till I held one. Too small and it rattled a bit. Also .380 ammo is too expensive to me.

The recall didn't affect the actual cycling of the gun when firing, it had to do with parts breakage in the safety/decocker mechanism.
As I said above, it's hit or miss, either you get a good one or a bad one.
I got a good one, which cycles reliably, my dad got a bad one which performed the way Max Stravinsky described.
I saw they only have a one year warranty. The Sig's come with a lifetime warrant as other manufacturers. It should be a responsibility for manufacturers to give lifetime warranties. Lives depend on them.

I own a PPK because they are as sexy as a pistol can get. I don't carry it except on rare occasion just because, you know.. James Bond.

I love the PPK. My dad has an "s" version that has shown to be very reliable, but people say experiences vary. Regardless, I'm a fan. If people don't trust it enough to carry, that's definitely their right - but it's essentially the gun that got me into pistols

I have a PPKS and I have had no problems with it. It's a S&W made in Holton Maine. It is a very good looking pistol imo and I'll hold on to it.

I wonder how the "Colt Government Model .380" compares to the Sig 938, which is basically a 1911 style in .380 vs. 9mm.

I have a Colt Government Model .380 and a Sig 938. They are about the same size. The Colt slide to rail fit is more loose, buts its a very accurate .380, even though the sights suck when compared to the 938 sights. The 938 is fairly accurate. I also have a Beretta 84B and a Glock 42. The Glock 42 is the nicest carry gun of the 4, but the trigger is the worst of all of them. The Beretta is the most accurate of the 4 and is the heaviest of the 4 with it's 13 round magazine. I don't like black on black sights for carry, so my jeweler soldered a 14k gold square bead on the front sight. Huge positive difference. Of the 4 guns, I carry the 938 more by far.

Last edited:
Now that right there is one hell of a useful review/ post.

I have a Colt Government Model .380 and a Sig 938. They are about the same size. The Colt slide to rail fit is more loose, buts its a very accurate .380, even though the sights suck when compared to the 938 sights. The 938 is fairly accurate. I also have a Beretta 84B and a Glock 42. The Glock 42 is the nicest carry gun of the 4, but the trigger is the worst of all of them. The Beretta is the most accurate of the 4 and is the heaviest of the 4 with it's 13 round magazine. I don't like black on black sights for carry, so my jeweler soldered a 14k gold square bead on the front sight. Huge positive difference. Of the 4 guns, I carry the 938 more by far.

Great comparison, thanks. On the single action only do you rely on an unchambered round and cock it for safety?

If the Glock is the "nicest" carry gun, then why do you carry the 938 "more by far"?

Great comparison, thanks. On the single action only do you rely on an unchambered round and cock it for safety?

Nah. If I have to take time to rack the slide, get into a half decent shooting ready position and squeeze the trigger, I'll probably be dead before I achieve all of it. Although some here have criticized me for the practice, I carry on half cock and have done so for 47 years without an issue. Since I have the benefit of making this decision, based on my own years of experience, I will continue to carry the 1911 on half cock. I do not promote the way that I choose to carry for others however. Each to his own.

Last edited:
Had an Interarms version for several years - very unreliable - even had it worked on by a famous gunsmith and it was still a jammamatic. I'd never get another one. Colt pocketlite, SWBodyguard 380, CW380 are much better choices, imho - CW380 will hold 7+1 with Magguts, btw.

Last edited:
Nah. If I have to take time to rack the slide, get into a half decent shooting ready position and squeeze the trigger, I'll probably be dead before I achieve all of it. Although some here have criticized me for the practice, I carry on half cock and have done so for 47 years without an issue. Since I have the benefit of making this decision, based on my own years of experience, I will continue to carry the 1911 on half cock. I do not promote the way that I choose to carry for others however. Each to his own.
So half cock gives it the da?

Had an Interarms version for several years - very unreliable - even had it worked on by a famous gunsmith and it was still a jammamatic. I'd never get another one.

Here's your "why":

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom