Flying domestically with declared firearm on JetBlue and Delta in 2024

Call me a pants s**tter but I have no desire to get jammed up by NYs criminal justice system. When I visit NYC (my daughter goes to school there) I don't even bring a pocket knife.
To groundscaper's comment regarding the TSA in MCO suppose you were connecting through JFK or LGA and TSA demanded you open your luggage to do an inspection. Luggage was checked but they know you have firearms because you declared them when you began your journey. You have to open the bag and unlock the cases in front of an officer. Bingo! You are now "in possession" of your firearms and subject to arrest.
This happened to me years ago under completely different circumstances. I was bringing some instant ice tea to my wife's aunt in France. I had two containers of tea in my checked luggage. TSA screened the bags, thought they looked suspicious, and I was paged, had to go to an office and open the luggage and show them the tea. Imagine the same scenario with firearms.

Does TSA call people mid transit to open bags?

I have never seen this with domestic flights.

Your example is an international flight. Are you saying you checked your bags in Boston, then had a layover in NY (you didn't touch your bags) and TSA called you to open your bags?

Call me a pants s**tter but I have no desire to get jammed up by NYs criminal justice system. When I visit NYC (my daughter goes to school there) I don't even bring a pocket knife.
To groundscaper's comment regarding the TSA in MCO suppose you were connecting through JFK or LGA and TSA demanded you open your luggage to do an inspection. Luggage was checked but they know you have firearms because you declared them when you began your journey. You have to open the bag and unlock the cases in front of an officer. Bingo! You are now "in possession" of your firearms and subject to arrest.
This happened to me years ago under completely different circumstances. I was bringing some instant ice tea to my wife's aunt in France. I had two containers of tea in my checked luggage. TSA screened the bags, thought they looked suspicious, and I was paged, had to go to an office and open the luggage and show them the tea. Imagine the same scenario with firearms.
Its not really like that. There wouldn't be a reason for me to take possession of my luggage there and even if there was some reason to I would have been covered by an FFL. I did fly from boston to jfk to las vegas because of a last minute flight and that was ok. TSA isn't going to pull your luggage on a layover to inspect it again since its already handed over to delta or whomever at that point.

If you have a plastic gun case it needs to have holes for two padlocks on it, because otherwise the case can be pried open too easily. That is TSA rule.

Jit Blew is the last airline I would ever get on again.
Yeah, fly carriers that use Boeing planes where the doors fall off and the FAA is investigating the company for admitting that it may not have completed inspections to confirm adequate bonding and groundings where the wings join the fuselage, in addition to its employees for possibly falsifying aircraft records. No thanks! Me, I'll stick to Airbus planes with JetBlue for the time being. [smile]

“The company voluntarily informed us in April that it may not have completed required inspections to confirm adequate bonding and grounding where the wings join the fuselage on certain 787 Dreamliner airplanes,” the agency said in a written statement. “The FAA is investigating whether Boeing completed the inspections and whether company employees may have falsified aircraft records.”

Pure bullshit.

You still don't possess the firearm. Hand the TSA guy the keys if needed but there's absolutely no reason to ever have to physically touch a firearm or the container its in at a port authority airport if you're just passing through (and not originating or taking possession there, which are obviously a whole different ballgame. ) Nobody can claim possession if you never touched it or never had it released to you.

There is also ZERO reason for the TSA to scan your luggage again once it's already inside the secured area.... this makes no sense whatsoever. That shit would grind an airport to a halt if they had to do that. And if for some bizzare reason they need to do a random inspection they're just going to cut your locks off anyways, check your shit, leave a love note in the container, and then ziptie that shit and throw it on the plane.

You're manufacturing a huge phantasm out of nothing.

This is not getting on with firearms in NYC or taking luggage with firearms in NYC. You are passing through. The luggage is not in your possession! (unless you do something really stupid like have it released to you by the airline in NYC) not sure how hard that is to understand, but apparently you and some other people around here cant wrap your head around it.

If you have a plastic gun case it needs to have holes for two padlocks on it, because otherwise the case can be pried open too easily. That is TSA rule.
They didn’t seem to mind too much with my sig tupperware with a single lock, granted mine was a handgun inside a piece of luggage, but still no questions or issues

they have typically asked that there be a lock in all lock positions but never a requirement for a specific number of locks.

Is it new you give the bag to tsa. I flew out and I did my card and jetblue put the luggage on the belt.
Depends.

In Boston, Delta put my case on the belt and let TSA know it was on its way. The lady asked me to wait until TSA called back. 10min later TSA called and said I was good to go. I did not need to interact with TSA.

In Detroit, they called TSA and a dude came out and looked at my case. He didn't just look at it, he searched it everywhere, behind the foam ... not sure what he was looking for; Maybe drugs? Maybe making sure I didn't have a bomb? ... I don't know, I didn't ask.

In either case no one asked me to show them the empty chamber (the way I cut it, the chambers were facing down).

In both cases everyone knew I had guns. Including the people at the office "you are here for the big gun case".

In Boston, an employee sees me walking around "is that a gun? - if so go check it over there".

The Boston people told me that week they were checking around 20-30 (forget the exact number) guns per day.

On my way back it was the same, and some people were landing here with shotguns for MA hunting season.

Pure bullshit.

This is not getting on with firearms in NYC or taking luggage with firearms in NYC. You are passing through. The luggage is not in your possession! (unless you do something really stupid like have it released to you by the airline in NYC) not sure how hard that is to understand, but apparently you and some other people around here cant wrap your head around it.

Some people will book flights with two different airlines. So, for example, if you booked Delta to a connecting NY airport and are using JetBlue to leave that NY airport, you most likely need to re-check your baggage for JetBlue. Plan accordingly.

Some people will book flights with two different airlines. So, for example, if you booked Delta to a connecting NY airport and are using JetBlue to leave that NY airport, you most likely need to re-check your baggage for JetBlue. Plan accordingly.
Booking flights with 2 airlines while traveling with guns = falls firmly within the definition of stupid, unless you have no other choices.

To groundscaper's comment regarding the TSA in MCO suppose you were connecting through JFK or LGA and TSA demanded you open your luggage to do an inspection. Luggage was checked but they know you have firearms because you declared them when you began your journey.
that's not my bag, that isn't my signature on that paperwork, i am not touching that bag. then when you get home, report it stolen.

Depends.

In Boston, Delta put my case on the belt and let TSA know it was on its way. The lady asked me to wait until TSA called back. 10min later TSA called and said I was good to go. I did not need to interact with TSA.

In Detroit, they called TSA and a dude came out and looked at my case. He didn't just look at it, he searched it everywhere, behind the foam ... not sure what he was looking for; Maybe drugs? Maybe making sure I didn't have a bomb? ... I don't know, I didn't ask.

In either case no one asked me to show them the empty chamber (the way I cut it, the chambers were facing down).

In both cases everyone knew I had guns. Including the people at the office "you are here for the big gun case".

In Boston, an employee sees me walking around "is that a gun? - if so go check it over there".

The Boston people told me that week they were checking around 20-30 (forget the exact number) guns per day.

On my way back it was the same, and some people were landing here with shotguns for MA hunting season.

This is what I use when I fly. I figured it was best to make it obvious because you never know who you will get at the desk.

I have never been asked to demonstrate that the chamber was empty.

IMG_1335.jpeg

Not really. I have booked flights with different airlines (no guns), and didn't have to touch my bags.

It all depends how it is booked. If it is booked all at the same time, for example you book through AA, but on the second flight they put you on a Delta flight because AA doesnt cover that route, you don't have to touch the bags.

If you book separate and the airlines are not part of a group that integrates their data, then you might have to do what you said.

But flying in the U.S that is not needed. Only some hardcore skinflint might do that to save $50, in that case they get what they deserve.

The only time I can see this happening is if you go somewhere like TX or some other big State where you land at a major airport and then need to get on some crappy regional airline to go to bumf*ck middle of nowhere for the hunt / shoot. But again, if it is all booked through the major airline, it should be taken care of.

The challenge when using 2 airlines would be to meet their gun policy. Like JB doesnt like ammo + rifle in the same case, but Delta doesn't care.

Last edited:
Booking flights with 2 airlines while traveling with guns = falls firmly within the definition of stupid, unless you have no other choices.
Yes, that's the point. Some people are stupid when it comes to having firearms in carry-on bags. In 2023, TSA found a record-setting 6,737 of which 93% were loaded.

The Transportation Security Administration found a record-setting 6,737 guns at airport security checkpoints in 2023, the agency announced Wednesday. The number of firearms found by TSA officers last year surpassed the previous year's record of 6,542 guns and was the highest annual total for the agency since it was created in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks.

This is what I use when I fly. I figured it was best to make it obvious because you never know who you will get at the desk.

I have never been asked to demonstrate that the chamber was empty.

They scanned mine to make sure it was empty after showing them, I put a ziptie down the barrel and connect it together loosely to ensure its easy to get off and prove the barrel is empty.

They scanned mine to make sure it was empty after showing them, I put a ziptie down the barrel and connect it together loosely to ensure its easy to get off and prove the barrel is empty.

WOW I never would have expected that. Crazy times.

Now if they could actually prevent people from carrying ammo on international flights………….

Jit Blew is the last airline I would ever get on again.
I only fly JetBlue, with guns, and I've never had a problem. Even out of Logan. As recently as December, too. Maybe I get treated really well because of the JetBlue Credit card and I'm also a shareholder, but it's the only airline I currently fly.

To the OP: Save the little forms or tags they give you and keep them in your firearm flying case. That way you as you build up your flying time, along with up to date printouts of TSA & carrier policies, you can show some evidence to a lesser informed employee that you know what you are doing.

Pretty much most if not all stories (or tales) I heard about people getting arrested at NY or NYC/NJ airports is for having a handgun AND because they stayed in NY or NYC and never left the state (ie failed FOPA). One popular example is the guy who's flight was late and he missed his connecting flight through an NYC/NJ area airport and he (for what ever reason) picked up his checked luggage containing the firearm from the baggage carousel and left the airport to say overnight at a hotel. He was arrested at checked baggage check-in when he returned to the NYC/NJ area airport to continue his flight. Or people who fly into NYC and stay there to visit the sites get popped when they fly out. Otherwise have talked to several CT residents who have flown out of NY airports with firearms including handguns without issue.

Many moons ago (2005) DoJ put out a public letter indicating one is supposed to be protected by FOPA when flying through NYC/NY airports:

But as always anything can happen. If one is worried about it find a non NY airport to fly out of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom